E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSS DriveShaft Shop...1000HP monsters! Yeah! I like that idea. I wonder why they dont CRYO treat the metal???? That is the neat thing everyone seems to be doing these days...why not then??

Some guys are of the opinion it is best to LEAVE in a weak link. i dont see that as a great idea. I dont want anything to break.

Solid diff mount. OS Giken diff, DSS half shafts DSS chrome moly driver shaft...have i left anything out??? I want this to be pretty darn strong. I would rather spend money NOW instead of LATER!

Dont you think??

BTW, i have poly RTABS and FCABS and Poly Sub frame bushings, and ALL NEW OEM ball joints! and a VERY VERY well executed HPF weld in plate sub frame reinforcement. We used the BEST guides. Painted over the work to keep from rusting!! Cut and welded INSIDE as shown. ALL the good stuff.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
While researching the DDS driveshaft, all the e36 guys told me to stay away from it! They all have vibration issues.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Solid diff mount. OS Giken diff, DSS half shafts DSS chrome moly driver shaft...have i left anything out??? .
You can scratch the DSS one piece drive shaft off your list. Not sure why they advertise it, they couldn't make one for me.

I went with the ACPT carbon drive shaft.

Unless you plan on chopping the car up some and installing a full roll cage to stiffen the chassis, what you are wanting to do (go solid mounts) is probably gonna tear your car apart due to cowl shake. I've had my entire soft top removed and I'm having a 10 point cage installed. I'll be using a hardtop from now on.

·
Psshhhht M3
5,859 Posts
I went with the ACPT carbon drive shaft.

Unless you plan on chopping the car up some and installing a full roll cage to stiffen the chassis, what you are wanting to do (go solid mounts) is probably gonna tear your car apart due to cowl shake. I've had my entire soft top removed and I'm having a 10 point cage installed. I'll be using a hardtop from now on.

Did you guys install it with no troubles? From what I remember, fitment was not that great with the ACPT.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Did you guys install it with no troubles? From what I remember, fitment was not that great with the ACPT.
HPF said they would need to enlarge the flange holes. HPF will either be installing mine, or shipping it to me already prepped.

·
Registered
375 Posts
DSS DriveShaft Shop...1000HP monsters! Yeah! I like that idea. I wonder why they dont CRYO treat the metal???? That is the neat thing everyone seems to be doing these days...why not then??

Some guys are of the opinion it is best to LEAVE in a weak link. i dont see that as a great idea. I dont want anything to break.

Solid diff mount. OS Giken diff, DSS half shafts DSS chrome moly driver shaft...have i left anything out??? I want this to be pretty darn strong. I would rather spend money NOW instead of LATER!

Dont you think??

BTW, i have poly RTABS and FCABS and Poly Sub frame bushings, and ALL NEW OEM ball joints! and a VERY VERY well executed HPF weld in plate sub frame reinforcement. We used the BEST guides. Painted over the work to keep from rusting!! Cut and welded INSIDE as shown. ALL the good stuff.
if you don't want your transmission to be the weak link (i.e. the thing that breaks), it might be a good idea to leave a cheaper weak link.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Length wise? I found the same thing. But jam it in harder and it does fit :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
?

No. just ONE solid mount. Only ONE. The forward diff bushing.
I will be installing a FIVE point cage.
Before, with my KW's the car was pretty tame. I think the TC Kline MONO BALLS and stiff LINEAR SPRINGS will change all that.
My bushings never bothered me much at all.

I WISH they made a poly bushing for the front diff mount. Cant something be adapted???

I heard the same thing about the drive shaft. So that's a no go. I think I will just stay stock for a while yet in that regard.

i HAVE decided to get the half shafts done by DSS. I dont plan on doing EXTENSIVE drag racing. Just enough runs to put up some DECENT numbers for a heavy clunky convertible.

On a road course, my vert does darn well, however. I am looking forward to seeing what the OS Giken will do for me!

I have to say you guys have been VERY helpful. Things are shaping up nicely!
Thanks!:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts