E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i just replace my oem xenon bulbs to higher wattage?? i believe the stock are 4300k and i will like to upgrade to 6000k at least, is this possible without having to change anything else but the bulbs?? if so where can i buy and price range?
can you recommend 6000k, 8000k or 10,000k and what are the main differences?:hmm:

i dunno much about lighting.. thanks for you help!!

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
Those numbers are color temperatures, not wattage. Higher color temperature moves farther to the right on the color spectrum (from red, to yellow, to white, to blue, to purple from left to right). Obviously, that means a 6000k bulb will be bluer/whiter/more purple than 4300k. The downside is that you'll lose light output in the process.

The only effective counter to the loss of light output is to increase the wattage of the bulb. Higher wattage generally means more lumens (lumens is a measure of the intensity of the light that the bulb is actually putting out). However, this leads to other problems...at the very least, you'll likely need a more powerful ballast for that to work.

Anything that sacrifices a lot of function for form is rice, so the highest I recommend is 6000k. Beyond that, you're defeating the main purpose of xenon lighting in the first place (light output on the road that is comfortable and natural for the eye, in terms of color, projection distance and brightness).

·
Banned
0 Posts
akhbhaat said:
Those numbers are color temperatures, not wattage. Higher color temperature moves farther to the right on the color spectrum (from red, to yellow, to white, to blue, to purple from left to right). Obviously, that means a 6000k bulb will be bluer/whiter/more purple than 4300k. The downside is that you'll lose light output in the process.

Anything that sacrifices a lot of function for form is rice, so the highest I recommend is 6000k. Beyond that, you're defeating the main purpose of xenon lighting in the first place (light output on the road that is comfortable and natural for the eye, in terms of color, projection distance and brightness).
what the man said is right. why go 7k or 10k if u want xenon. spend 40$ to get fake zenon. lol

·
Help me Help you!
936 Posts
jstar41 said:
can i just replace my oem xenon bulbs to higher wattage?? i believe the stock are 4300k and i will like to upgrade to 6000k at least, is this possible without having to change anything else but the bulbs?? if so where can i buy and price range?
can you recommend 6000k, 8000k or 10,000k and what are the main differences?:hmm:

i dunno much about lighting.. thanks for you help!!

in terms of upgrading i recommend you go with 5200k or 6000k as those
are made by the big companies: Osram and Phillips.
I had 4300, 5200 and 6000k but i recommend the 5200k as you don't sacrifice visibility for the looks. 5200 is whitish and 6k is more bluish.
I may sell the 5200k as they are just sitting in my garage since
i recently changed the bulbs to 6k, let me know if you're interested.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
itchyNscratchy said:
I had 4300, 5200 and 6000k but i recommend the 5200k as you don't sacrifice visibility for the looks. 5200 is whitish and 6k is more bluish.
What do you want for the 5200's? One of my OEM 4300's is starting to yellow, probably in need of replacement soon.

·
Help me Help you!
936 Posts
akhbhaat said:
What do you want for the 5200's? One of my OEM 4300's is starting to yellow, probably in need of replacement soon.
I have to get you a pic of one of the bulbs (its actually 5400K).
however the brown thing parallel to the bulb (dont know what its called)
is split but it actually makes the light look whiter than the other one.
let me get a pic tomorrow.

Here is the original thread from the seller i bought it from: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136724
i only had it on my car for 3 months in additional to the 8 months the original seller had it for. i'll pm you a pic so you get a better idea of what i am talking about.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
itchyNscratchy said:
I have to get you a pic of one of the bulbs (its actually 5400K).
however the brown thing parallel to the bulb (dont know what its called)
is split but it actually makes the light look whiter than the other one.
let me get a pic tomorrow.

Here is the original thread from the seller i bought it from: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136724
i only had it on my car for 3 months in additional to the 8 months the original seller had it for. i'll pm you a pic so you get a better idea of what i am talking about.

any pics with it installed im in the NYC metro area and can do local pick up granted the price is right for a 11month onld used xenon bulb

·
Registered
227 Posts
headlight upgrade plus xenons.

Whats up guys. i just recently purchased a 2001 325i 4 door sedan. It just has regular lighting and i was looking to upgrade them to oem HID's. So what i needed to know was where i can get the oem projector headlights plus the hid kit to set it up. And also how much it will be. If there are any links that you guys can post that would also be great. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
itchyNscratchy said:
Just to confirm. There D2S bulbs right?

·
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)
2,282 Posts
Eclipseturbo7 said:
Whats up guys. i just recently purchased a 2001 325i 4 door sedan. It just has regular lighting and i was looking to upgrade them to oem HID's. So what i needed to know was where i can get the oem projector headlights plus the hid kit to set it up. And also how much it will be. If there are any links that you guys can post that would also be great. Thanks alot.
You might find some the OEM xenon headlights assembly on EBAY or buy them at Bekkers Imports (that's where I bought mine) and of course at the dealership also. After market HID projector with or without DDE's can be bought through UMNITZA and/or JLEVI.

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
almostprofound said:
6000k bulbs can just be plugged into the oem setup though correct?
yes.

·
Help me Help you!
936 Posts
BMW330xi01 said:
any pics with it installed im in the NYC metro area and can do local pick up granted the price is right for a 11month onld used xenon bulb
i have it at home but they are not of greater quality pics.
i will need to create a new thread and post pics as we are hijacking Jstar41's thread. Sorry Jstar41.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no dude.. go ahead.. all this info is great.. i need to upgrade my xenons and you said that you are selling yours.. i'm definately interested.. please PM me price.. and you said that one lights brighter than the other.. humm.. i wouldn't want this.. let me know.. thanks!!

will the Phillips 5400k will plug right in to the OEM ballast right?

·
Help me Help you!
936 Posts
jstar41 said:
no dude.. go ahead.. all this info is great.. i need to upgrade my xenons and you said that you are selling yours.. i'm definately interested.. please PM me price.. and you said that one lights brighter than the other.. humm.. i wouldn't want this.. let me know.. thanks!!

will the Phillips 5400k will plug right in to the OEM ballast right?

yes straight plug and play.
one side seems whiter than the other side (not sure if its the angle).
but i took out the bulbs and swapped it for the 6k.
not sure about the price but i will create a new thread when i get home and have access to the pics.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey I know you guys are talking about xenons/HIDs but I was wondering if you knew which Halos were the most blue...Umnitza, JLevi, etc?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts