BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i finally got some pics up on these boards. Here is how far i am on the 10w7 install. Wish i could spend more time on it, but i dont have alot of time to work with.

Here is the saw i used to cut most of the wood:

The board prior to cutting:

Most of the 1 1/4" thick sides:

Clamps i used for glueing:

All sides of box done:

Carpet and wires ready to go:

BTW: The box dimensions are 22.6" x 14" x 12.5"
More pictures to follow as progress grows.....

·
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 1/4" MDF (5/8" double thick)!! I talked to a guy at Good Guys who regularly installs w7's and he said the recommended 3/4" box buckles out when the bass hits, so he recommended thicked sides. He actually said double thick 3/4", but i thought it was alittle overboard and too heavy. So i went with 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/2". The carpet i read around the forums and it was the closest people said to the stock carpet on bmw's. It is the light grey carpet from www.cardomain.com That entire roll costs $16 + ship. It is enough to probably do 2, maybe 3 of the boxes im doing.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
my installer used some type of birch wood for my box. he prefers it to mdf. but for me, it sounds nice saying i have birch wood inside my car :lmao:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Gametrade said:
1 1/4" MDF (5/8" double thick)!! I talked to a guy at Good Guys who regularly installs w7's and he said the recommended 3/4" box buckles out when the bass hits, so he recommended thicked sides. He actually said double thick 3/4", but i thought it was alittle overboard and too heavy. So i went with 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/2". The carpet i read around the forums and it was the closest people said to the stock carpet on bmw's. It is the light grey carpet from www.cardomain.com That entire roll costs $16 + ship. It is enough to probably do 2, maybe 3 of the boxes im doing.

thanx.! unfortunately, the shipping for me is more than the cost of carpet itself... :thumbdwn:

·
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kwang125 said:
thanx.! unfortunately, the shipping for me is more than the cost of carpet itself... :thumbdwn:
Well still look around, becuase it matches the trunk carpet VERY closely. Plus they give you enough for at least 2 boxes!!

ps. Ill post more pics as i get further on it. I didnt get to touch it work on it tonight :(

·
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok did some sanding last night, no pics though :( All the boards are sanded on the side to smooth the sides as well as get rid of the excess glue.

·
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PLAZAMAN said:
To tell you the truth i dont know too much about calculating volume and all that. I have built 2, working on the third, boxes in my life, and had help with the first 2. This latest box im doing is the first where i was doing all the calculations and all that. I only had help with the initial cutting of the wood, since i started from a HUGE plank, and couldnt cut it by myself. Check out my other threads i have made in the past month too see all the questions and responses i got for help with the box. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts