BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was posted a few months ago... It seems that some people are getting a mildew odor coming from the vents after the A/C is used. I don't have this problem with my 323i but I do have this problem with my 2002 VW Golf.. The dealer first changed the Micro filter thinking that was the problem and it wasn't... next they put this antiseptic spray through out the ventilation system and that didn't work. It just masked the problem for a few weeks and then the odor came back again after the A/C was used... Finially I brought the car back and called VW Customer Service so they could get involved with the problem... The dealer replaced the Evaporator and now the problem seems to be solved... Replacing the Evaporator is a major task. The entire dash has to be taken out in order to get at it and the A/C system has to be recharged completely.. I told them to take their time and do a good job and so it took them 3 days... There is a CAUSE for this problem.. Don't settle for a new micro filter or for some smelly antiseptic spray.... Tell the dealer to replace the Evaporator... It's covered if your car is still under the warranty...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using a septic spray in the vents or putting the heat on does not cure the problem. If the evaporator is bad and it's causing the smell, then BMW should replace the evaporator for free under the warranty. VW did it, so why not BMW.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts