E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow fanatics. I have an interesting problem with my air conditioning I am hoping someone with more technical expertise and knowledge of my car could help me with. First I am driving a 2003 325i as my daily driver. I love this car and had pretty good luck with it to date. I drive excessively and have 115,000 miles on it already.

The problem that I am seeing is that when it rains outside heavily and I am actually driving, not sitting still, the air conditioning shuts off and starts blowing heat. When I turn temperature up it blows hotter and down it stops totally. Just as a heater should even though it is not in heater mode. But when the rain stops and I keep driving the cool air comes back and it returns to the right temperature.

As I am on the road now I could not do anything about it. I noticed this through every storm I drove through. When it is wet it starts to go out. As it dries up over the next few miles it cools, then with rain back to heat. When I stopped last night at a hotel I looked underneath and noticed a chunk of plastic missing on the drivers side exposing some wires going to my fog light and one hanging. I am not sure what happened but the wire hanging is blue and black, not plugged into anything and has a few exposed bits. I wrapped it in electrical tape but it has not rained since for me to know if this was it.

My best guess is there is some short somewhere that occurs when it rains that is causing this. It is nothing but a guess based on circumstantial evidence. I am hoping someone here can help. Did that wire I wrapped have anything to do with it? Is there something else I should be checking for? Anyone see this before? It definitely only happens when it is wet under the car and it is very recent as only the last two days.

Any clues would be very much appreciated. Happy Holidays to all.

-- Akira Yamashita

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course now it is not raining anywhere so I have no idea if my wrapping the wire I saw exposed had anything to do with it. I am hoping to get a digital camera today and take a quick picture for you guys of what I am talking about so you can see what it might be. It is a wire that is close to the fog lights but does not plug in there. It is exposed and only became so after what looks like some under carriage damage to a plastic piece that broke off. I have no idea if this is the issue or not.. But given what I notice was happening and detailed above I have nothing else to go on.

Any ideas from the more experienced DIY'ers?

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,603 Posts
most all airconditioning wires and the air conditioner itself is on the bottom passenger side, including the electrical wires that goes to a small pump behind the passenger headlight.

the only thing that i can think of is the outside temp sensor that most of us have ripped out because of cement blocks, but thats on the...passanger side..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting since this is only on the Drivers side. Very frustrating. Thank you for your help though. It gives me more to look into.

I have also read on here that it could be a problem with my resistor of some sort under my glove box. I can't recall the name, but apparently it has a lot to do with how my fan blows and other aspects of my A/C. Still this problem only occurs when it rains and I am driving. The water is getting up under the car and hitting something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.