BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the instructions for programming the universal transmitter?

I lost mine and forgot how to do it. I need to add another garage door to my setup.

Thanks! :thumbup:

·
INDEED
1,144 Posts
www.homelink.com I believe BMW ones are Homelink, just follow directions there...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Programming

1. Turn the ignition on to the second position

2. Hold down the TWO OUTSIDE BUTTONS on the transmitter until the indicator light begins to flash (20-30 seconds). Then reelase the buttons. This procedure initializes the memory and erases any previous settings.

3. Hold the end of your hand-held transmitter against the front of the front surface of your universal transmitter so that you can still see the indicator light.

4. Using both hands push the hand-held transmitter button and the desired button the the BMW universal transmitter. Continue to press both buttons through step 5.

5. Hold down both buttons until you see the indicator light on the BMW universal transmitter flash, first slowly then rapidly. It indicates that you have successfully programmed the universal transmitter to learn the new frequency signal. Release both buttons once the rapid flashing begins.

To program another button repeat steps 4 through 5

Sorry about any typos, I just typed this right off the instruction sheet.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jonb325ci said:
Programming

1. Turn the ignition on to the second position

2. Hold down the TWO OUTSIDE BUTTONS on the transmitter until the indicator light begins to flash (20-30 seconds). Then reelase the buttons. This procedure initializes the memory and erases any previous settings.

3. Hold the end of your hand-held transmitter against the front of the front surface of your universal transmitter so that you can still see the indicator light.

4. Using both hands push the hand-held transmitter button and the desired button the the BMW universal transmitter. Continue to press both buttons through step 5.

5. Hold down both buttons until you see the indicator light on the BMW universal transmitter flash, first slowly then rapidly. It indicates that you have successfully programmed the universal transmitter to learn the new frequency signal. Release both buttons once the rapid flashing begins.

To program another button repeat steps 4 through 5

Sorry about any typos, I just typed this right off the instruction sheet.

Thank you so much!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I understand that our univ. transmitter doesn't work with Genie garage door openers. Anyone else try it with this brand opener?

I think it's due to the Genie changing the code each time the door opens.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dillard said:
I understand that our univ. transmitter doesn't work with Genie garage door openers. Anyone else try it with this brand opener?

I think it's due to the Genie changing the code each time the door opens.

There was some info at www.homelink.com regarding the rolling code garage door openers.

·
INDEED
1,144 Posts
Hmm forget which opener my dad has, but I believe his was code changing. I was able to make my Homelink one work with his... check the website

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was able to get the universal transmitter working with the Genie garage opener (as well as several other ones). For the Genie and other openers with rolling code the only way to program them is to first press a little button on the garage door opener unit itself (not the remote). This button is usually labeled "Learn" and will instruct the unit to start sending out learning codes. Then you can return to your car and hold down one of the buttons on your universal trasmitter until the lights starts flashing rapidly. Assuming you've done this procedure quickly enough, it should work (having two people do this might help, but I've done it myself few times). Also make sure that you don't hold down the learn button on the garage door opener unit for too long (just press it once), as this will erase the existing codes and you'll have to program all your existing remotes.<br>
As far as learning the codes, in general you don't have to hold the two outside buttons, unless you actually want to erase all the existing codes. If you only want to learn one code, I'd skip this step and only erase all the codes if you're having problems programming the transmitter.<br>
The other tip that I found out is that when learning new codes, instead of pressing both the button on the universal trasmitter and the button on the remote, it is actually better to just hold down the button on the universal transmitter. Hold it down, until the little green light starts slowly blinking and only then press and hold the button on the remote. This works much better than pressing both of those buttons at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts