BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 162 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
3,939 Posts
Find a drill bit whose diameter matches the inside of the dowl pin (the smooth side of the drill bit) and insert. Then take vice grips and clamp then twist/rock it out. Don't lever off the engine as you will damage the mating surface.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
3,939 Posts
Thanks, I guess I need to learn how to search on FCP Euro a little better...
The key is to change the search range (on the left of the search bar) to "Search entire site"
Or just search on Google ;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
And I hate the hard lines!!! Such a PITA. But they are crap after 125k (if not earlier, that is just the lowest mileage car I have checked personally)
Honestly, compared to all the systems I have touched on the e46, these weren't incredibly more awful...
My ride has 162k on her, so I guess the lines that were on there owe me nothing. Good to hear your mileage #.
I am just hoping for no leaks!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Find a drill bit whose diameter matches the inside of the dowl pin (the smooth side of the drill bit) and insert. Then take vice grips and clamp then twist/rock it out. Don't lever off the engine as you will damage the mating surface.
I use a small pipe wrench to twist out these dowels..but I am very careful not to mar the mating surface
You guys are awesome!
I got that little bugger out. Now to see if the local dealer has these.
I did not have the perfect drill bit size to match the ID, but close enough...
Thanks again.

Assuming that install goes easier if you place the new dowel in the freezer for a while first?

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
3,939 Posts
Honestly, compared to all the systems I have touched on the e46, these weren't incredibly more awful...
My ride has 162k on her, so I guess the lines that were on there owe me nothing. Good to hear your mileage #.
I am just hoping for no leaks!
Removing was easy. Picking out the damn fragments took two hours.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
You guys are awesome!
I got that little bugger out. Now to see if the local dealer has these.
I did not have the perfect drill bit size to match the ID, but close enough...
Thanks again.

Assuming that install goes easier if you place the new dowel in the freezer for a while first?

View attachment 905865
Local dealer had 2 of these alignment dowels, so I bought both.
I threw them in the freezer overnight and had just about 2 seconds to try the install. Not surprisingly, it didn't drop in and I could not press it in with my thumb.

I do not want to mess up the block - any pearls of wisdom on replacing this?

TIA

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
After no work on the 325 this weekend, I got a few minutes this morning.

My biggest concern right now is the oil filter housing - both the alignment dowel and the threads on that messed up looking bolt (lowest, forward hole).

Sometimes you get lucky, my tap & die set that used to be my Dad's had both a tap and a die in the 8mm x 1.25 - score!

I started with the bolt - look at all the schmutz that was in the threads:

The bolt looks much better:

And I grabbed a shot of the back side of the die just to reference the size used:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I had bolstered my confidence by cleaning up the bolt, so now it was time to clean the threads in the block.

Lots of cutting oil on the tap, and then away we go!

Again, lots of schmutz:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Really glad that the threads came out looking/feeling okay.
I plan on using some compressed air to blow out the threads in each of the holes for the oil filter housing.
Then try to get the alignment dowel in...

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
3,939 Posts
It should go in with light taps from a hammer, just dont hit it hard enough to deform the lip.
You can also heat the block at the hole to expand it, or put the pin in a drill and lightly polish with 1000 grit sandpaper

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
It should go in with light taps from a hammer, just dont hit it hard enough to deform the lip.
You can also heat the block at the hole to expand it, or put the pin in a drill and lightly polish with 1000 grit sandpaper
It is nice and hot here today, and the dowels are still in the freezer. After work I will bust out the heat gun and heat that area. Once I have the oil filter housing un-fuq'd, life will be good and I can start putting things back on my little Fraulein instead of taking things off.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is so little mass on that pin that it's going to warm up in seconds. I wonder if you could find a bolt tightly matching the inner diameter and freeze it with it just to give a bit more thermal mass?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Little victories - I cleaned out the threads and then used a brass drift to tap the dowel in.

Looking forward to moving forward (ha-ha)...

Looking at the images, it looks like the lip did get flattened a little. I will dress that with the Dremel and then rinse w/ brake clean and dry with compressed air.

Seeing the divot in the block where the dowel got smashed makes me glad the gasket/o-ring runs around the other side of the bolt hole.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I opted to separate the oil filter housing from the power steering pump so I could get a little more room to run the tap through all the bolt holes.

This image from the folks at Pelican Parts was quite helpful for finding that back bolt:

81 - 100 of 162 Posts