BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2004 325Ci 5MT M54B25 Stock / 2005 330Ci 6MT M54B30
110 Posts
I took this image for reference sake. My plan is to replace the line going from intake to check valve, from check valve to solenoid, and then the line from solenoid to hard line that runs forward to air pump.
Here is my IM after cleaning it with Super Clean. I was very pleased the water was super dirty but I had some cheap dish brushes to get into all the parts.
IMG_5058.JPG IMG_5060 1.JPG

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
3,939 Posts
I used closed-end, flexible-head ratcheting wrench for both bolts, but I also detached the transmission mount and lowered it. I tightened the bolts on assembly from the top, and torqued them from underneath with 4 feet of extensions (the last one had a wiggle head).

Just did this this past weekend.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Interesting discovery - you can lock the driver door with the key when the battery is disconnected, but you cannot unlock driver door with key and no power.
Luckily you can open the trunk w/ key and reconnect battery!
Interesting...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Work kept me busy this week, so 0 work occurred on the e46.
My starter showed up today - yippee!
So back at it.
Step 1 - change out the valve cover gasket:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Next I think I will replace the starter:

Well that bottom bolt is indeed difficult, and the soft coolant line right above is not helping. So I guess since I am replacing the hard coolant lines I think I will switch gears and pull the oil filter housing, and then that upper hard coolant line. This way I can have most of my coolant leaking out the front, instead of onto the starter.

Once again, there's a video for that - thanks 50's Kid:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
New Bosch starter from FCP Euro is shorter than the original!
Both are threaded.
Any concerns?
Go with the shorty?
Thanks all!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
I went back to FCP Euro, the only options for my ride are 140mm w/ threaded mounting, or 180mm w/o threaded mounting:

I need threaded mounting, so I guess this is my huckleberry!

The new starter length is just over 5", the old one I took out is right at 6" from the flange to end.

·
Registered
2004 325Ci 5MT M54B25 Stock / 2005 330Ci 6MT M54B30
110 Posts
New Bosch starter from FCP Euro is shorter than the original!
Both are threaded.
Any concerns?
Go with the shorty?
Thanks all!

I just replaced mine circa 2004 with the one from FCP that was aligned to my model, year.

I did not even compare the size, no jokes, I just installed it.

Works like a charm and no issues so far ....

GO FOR IT.. ymmv

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
3,939 Posts
I totally hate saying this, but I would consider leaving the starter. The larger starter from 99-02 seems to be a better component than the newer one, and may actually last longer. One of the cars I re-did this Winter had the big chunky starter and I left it in.

I just replaced a Bosch reman that lasted 18 months.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
It seems like it is very easy to do things wrong on the e46...

I went to remove the oil filter housing, the bottom front bolt was difficult and made a sucking/squishy noise as it loosened. I was worried about the threads. I got the bolt out, but it looks like there was water in the threads somehow?

Nasty!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Last night I was thinking about the nasty looking bolts and the threads in the block.

This morning I got up early to do a little work on the e46 before work.

I got the oil filter housing clear and found another surprise - the alignment dowel did not align very well last time!

These picture are looking at the block. I saw there is another alignment dowel in the housing at the lower, front hole (the nasty looking bolt).

Has anyone seen this before? Are these easy to replace? Available at the local dealer?

Eek!

I guess this would explain the oil in the waffle on the block below the OFHG.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I just replaced mine circa 2004 with the one from FCP that was aligned to my model, year.

I did not even compare the size, no jokes, I just installed it.

Works like a charm and no issues so far ....

GO FOR IT.. ymmv
Thanks!
I have made enough dumb mistakes that I try to do things smart, so I thought I would compare starters before putting the new one on.
I decided to go for it, probably a product revision/cost saving measure/marketing "improvement" on Bosch's part.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I totally hate saying this, but I would consider leaving the starter. The larger starter from 99-02 seems to be a better component than the newer one, and may actually last longer. One of the cars I re-did this Winter had the big chunky starter and I left it in.

I just replaced a Bosch reman that lasted 18 months.
Eek, too late.
New starter is on and I am not to keen on going back after all I went through.
The starter is new, not a reman, so I sure hope it is going to be a winner.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Last night I was thinking about the nasty looking bolts and the threads in the block.

This morning I got up early to do a little work on the e46 before work.

I got the oil filter housing clear and found another surprise - the alignment dowel did not align very well last time!

These picture are looking at the block. I saw there is another alignment dowel in the housing at the lower, front hole (the nasty looking bolt).

Has anyone seen this before? Are these easy to replace? Available at the local dealer?

Eek! View attachment 905836

View attachment 905837

I guess this would explain the oil in the waffle on the block below the OFHG.
I think the replacement dowel is item #6 here: RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

P/N 11121726238: RealOEM.com - Part Search

Not sure if that is a legit BMW p/n, it does not load @ FCP Euro

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Not sure how to deal with the messed up dowel for the oil filter housing.

I thought I could deal with the coolant hard lines since I had some time this morning.
Make sure you get both o-rings and all the plastic bits out of the block!

And make sure the holes in the block are clean and smooth:

61 - 80 of 162 Posts