E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and thank you all for the help in advance. I recently got done completely rebuilding my 2001 325xi that I bought for 800 dollars. Upon first start the only code that I got was p0014 ,"B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced (Bank 1). I have spent countless hours researching causes and symptoms but to no avail.

What I have done so far....
When I had the car taken apart I did the vanos seals from bavauto
I have tried swapping solenoids (no change still get p0014 only)
I have cleaned both solenoids and pistons (everything seems to operate smoothly)
all of the oil is new Mobil 1 0W-40
I have installed a new camshaft sensor (exhaust from BMW dealer)
I have pulled the vanos off to make sure it operates smoothly.(spring is on exhaust side)
disconnected the exhaust solenoid(car just stalls)

After doing all these things the p0014 code will not go away. The car idles really rough and when I try to rev the car the RPM's will drop and then begin to rise. I have not yet driven the car due to how rough it idles. The only thing that currently helps is disconnecting the MAF. When the MAF is disconnected the car idles smoothly but I still get the code for p0014 and then the added code for the MAF. I have a code reader so I have been clearing the codes each time I try something new. At this point i am completely at a loss for what to do next.:bawling::bawling: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Explain completely rebuilding in terms of what was done under the hood.

If the engine runs better with the MAF disconnected, chances are there are vacuum leaks and/or the O2 sensor wiring is swapped bank to bank.

Power brake booster could also be leaking.

This has noting to do with the P0014 code, but one thing at a time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Explain completely rebuilding in terms of what was done under the hood.

If the engine runs better with the MAF disconnected, chances are there are vacuum leaks and/or the O2 sensor wiring is swapped bank to bank.

Power brake booster could also be leaking.

This has noting to do with the P0014 code, but one thing at a time.
Pulled the engine and replaced all the crank bearings and piston rings and all seals and new head gasket and clutch. engine was a completely bare block at one point. I also replaced all the vacuum lines in the engine bay but I guess ill check those again along with the o2 sensors plugged into the right connections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:bump:

Noticed that the idle calms down after about 20 seconds. Cleaned the ICV just in case but no changes. also verified that the o2 sensors are connected correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:bump:

Went out to check the signals on both camshaft position sensors. Exhaust sensor read good (5.0v->0V->5.0V) during rotation of engine.When I checked the intake sensor it read (5.0v->.63v->5.0v) during engine rotation so I changed it out and it now reads good. Unfortunately the code is still there and I dont know what to do next. and ideas would be great.

I also noticed that the DISA valve vacuum pot does not hold vacuum when I tried the "thumb test". Could this be causing the rough idle when the MAF is connected?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can try cleaning the electrical connections between the exhaust solenoid and its cable. Its fairly easy to have dribbled oil on these when Vanos seals were done, and may compromise the voltage levels to the solenoid. Use a volatile solvent (spray contact cleaner) to carry away the oil off the pins and sockets.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts