BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the ILP is pretty much fully controlled from the radio/steering wheel, I decided to change from a console mount to a stealth install. Pics below, was pretty easy, only had to drill one small hole to get the cable through the inner plastic tray. I will eventually get a small black rubber piece to close the hole around the cable, but its barely noticable as it is.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Looks great. Any closeups of the iPod? It's not clear if the iPod is "docked" or is just lying loose in the tray.

This is exactly the install that I want to do. But I'm worried that if I leave the iPod in the armrest on a 100 degree day (like today) it will fry!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just lying in the tray, but it fits perfectly, really does not move at all when in there. I figure it's not going to be any hotter in there than in the car itself - in fact the arm rest may insulate the tray so it stays cooler.

I used to put the Ipod in the arm rest to hide it when parking the car in public places anyway, so I fugured what the heck, just wire it in there....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
awesome - I am getting mind installed this coming Monday -

do you have any close ups of how the wire runs into the tray (where you have to drill the hole)?

is the wire visible from the the rear passenger seats?

does it go from the rear ashtray up to the arm rest?

Looks awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a couple more screen shots. I ran the cable from the trunk, across to the passenger side, beneath/through the rear fold down seat, under the door molding up to the front of the car, up under the passenger front console, back down the passenger side center console (tucking wires up under the plastic molding the whole way - no cutting or mods required).

I took the arm rest apart by removing the rear seat ash tray (you can find those instructions on the forum if you need them, but its pretty easy to figure out - just pull out the ashtray insert and you will see the first set of 2 screws. Pop out the secondary ashtray insert to reveal two more screws. Remove these and that section of the console will be loose enough to run the wires up into the arm rest. Once you get it apart, you will see its pretty easy to fish the wire without actually removing much of anything.

The only tricky part is popping out the black plastic insert in the arm rest. It has four snap in holders that you need to pry out. I used a small flat head screw driver to very carefully pop out the first couple, then pulled it apart by hand.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,910 Posts
thats nice!!!

I put mine in the sunglass holder (the black tray under the ac controls)..... Even though it works so well that nice of an install mkes me consider altering it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,601 Posts
u are a great inspiration to us! Clean

makes my ipod install weak in comparison.

we are truly not worthy.

i will sulk.
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
reactionsok said:
u are a great inspiration to us! Clean

makes my ipod install weak in comparison.

we are truly not worthy.

i will sulk.

Pics b<hp>itch, or else! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
JS330Xi said:
Here are a couple more screen shots. I ran the cable from the trunk, across to the passenger side, beneath/through the rear fold down seat, under the door molding up to the front of the car, up under the passenger front console, back down the passenger side center console (tucking wires up under the plastic molding the whole way - no cutting or mods required).

I took the arm rest apart by removing the rear seat ash tray (you can find those instructions on the forum if you need them, but its pretty easy to figure out - just pull out the ashtray insert and you will see the first set of 2 screws. Pop out the secondary ashtray insert to reveal two more screws. Remove these and that section of the console will be loose enough to run the wires up into the arm rest. Once you get it apart, you will see its pretty easy to fish the wire without actually removing much of anything.

The only tricky part is popping out the black plastic insert in the arm rest. It has four snap in holders that you need to pry out. I used a small flat head screw driver to very carefully pop out the first couple, then pulled it apart by hand.
Tell me about the hole you drilled. What size bit and how hard was it to get it to look clean?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dillard said:
Tell me about the hole you drilled. What size bit and how hard was it to get it to look clean?

Thanks
Don't remember what size drill bit I used, but here is the process:

Pick a drill bit that is a little larger than the male metal end of the Icelink cable and a little smaller than the plastic outer shell of the Icelink (that end of the cable looks like a PS2 mouse cable).

Drill the hole from the black/inside of the tray. When you do this, there will be some rough edges created on the black side. Now put the drill in reverse (or drill from the other side) and work the bit around the hole to clean up the edges on the inside/black side of the tray. Continue doing this, thus enlarging the hole, until you can fit the Ice cable through it. The plastic is pretty soft and its really not hard to make the clean hole.

I'm still searching for a black rubber grommet to fill the hole, but as you can see, the hole is not that visable so it really doesn't bother me as it is.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JetBlack said:
How do you keep the ice-link cable from pinching when you pull the armrest all the way up?
It doesn't seem to pinch that bad in my install. If I had to do it over again, I might have drilled the hole where the ice cable comes off the ipod to avoid any potential problems, but for now it seems to be holding up fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
This is an awesome install and that is what I will be doing. My ice link kit came with a craddle though. Could you tell me where did you get the dension cable and how much did it cost.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Nice install

Great install! I am trying to do the same and was wondering where you got the cable from. My kit came with the docking cradle. Is there any where on line that has the cable for sale? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
I believe you can buy it from Denison. Mine came with a cradle as well but I was still able to fit it into the armrest without any problems. Its not as clean a look but it still works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got my cable from Dension, was ~$45 + shipping. You can order it that way (with a cable not the dock) from them directly if you are purchasing an Icelink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Question: How do you run the cable from the trunk through the rear seat? I have a 2004 coupe. I was able to lift up the rear seat bottom. Do I need to do anything with the rear seat side (the portion located right next to the door, that does not move when you fold down the seat)?

Is there a "special" place where the cable needs to run through? There are existing wires that I looked at, trying to see if I could just run the cable with these wires. But the wires go through a piece of foam, so there's no room for the cable.

Am I missing something?
 

·
european auto source
Joined
·
12,581 Posts
JS330Xi said:
Got my cable from Dension, was ~$45 + shipping. You can order it that way (with a cable not the dock) from them directly if you are purchasing an Icelink.
We offer the cables seperately as well. :thumbup:
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top