E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'00 325ci manual
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get a clunk noise when i put the car in 1st gear or R + sometimes i can hear a vibration when i let off the throttle. The driveshaft flex disc is new, all rear axle bushings are new, so I suspect the last thing on the list might be the u joint. Anyway, is it worth replacing? I read everywhere that bmws ujoints are not meant to be serviceable. Am i supposed to get a new driveshaft?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Short answer yes but there’s a lot of driveshaft shops that will rebuild it for a few hundred. A lot of them put serviceable u joints. I have always gone used or remanufactured no need to pay the steeler that’s gonna charge a small fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
Also all the reman units I have gotten came with new csb installed they are balanced and in my opinion superior to the factory ones since you can get serviceable u joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
To test a driveshaft, it really has to come out.

Then, in my experience, you'll feel a binding or loose u- joint, or see external damage.
The one thing that may get missed is a weight that's come off-
you're looking for a bare patch on it somewhere.

The other option is car-part.com and trying your luck with a used one.
They're far cheaper, and the odd thing about BMW driveshafts is that
they seem to fail rather randomly- as in, you might get 100k,
or they might go 400k, so it's not a totally losing gamble. And then you have
a spare to send in to get rebuilt if the used one starts giving trouble.

t

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,242 Posts
If the flex disk (bmw part name for this is 'universal joint,' not the UJ you mean) is mounted one bolt off, it'll rip apart the csb in short order.

Clunk is often the csb. Sometimes it's also been reported as a rear diff bushing failure.

Maybe post pic of your guibo installation and we can confirm if it might be because of that? Nothing personal! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts