BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PS2s are almost gone, and need some tyres that are good in all seasons and will last me a long time. I drive too much :(

Have heard good things about Conti ExtremeContact DWS.
Has anyone tried these out? I assume they're exactly what I'm after, but I can't find a tyre available in Aus that is of the same quality/price etc.

Since you can't get them in Aus, I was looking at Tire Rack, a set of 4 is $504.00 US and our dollar is still pretty good.

Have also heard good things about Tire Rack. To those who have gone through them, how long do they usually take to get to your door if they are in stock? A week?
And roughly how much was your shipping costs?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Shipping to Perth was $250 usd. Took about a week or so from when payment went through. Awesome to deal with and great prices :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In March this year, me and a mate ordered some tyres. I ordered Kumho 2 x 255/35R19 ($185 each) and my friend ordered the DW continentals 2 x 255/40R17 ($165 each). Total for tyres was $700, freight was $246.10. Total $946.10
As long as it's under $1k there's no extra tax. Took a bit over 1 week to arrive.

This was to Adelaide.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can get 19" Kumhos for $200 fitted here..?

Anyway,
tyre rack is great and yep I've read great reviews about the conti extreme contact DW. The DWS refers to the all season tyres designed to handle snow conditions whereas DW is just dry/wet so much much more appropriate to the Aussie climate.

Postage charges for me were $250 and they arrived exactly 6nights after sending off the money...

The only inconvenience is that you have to go to the bank to do an international money wire transfer (and incur a $30 fee) but in the scheme of things, the savings are massive so well worth the trip to the bank (plus tyrerack gives you all the info you need to make the process painfree and simple)

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
You can get 19" Kumhos for $200 fitted here..?

Anyway,
tyre rack is great and yep I've read great reviews about the conti extreme contact DW. The DWS refers to the all season tyres designed to handle snow conditions whereas DW is just dry/wet so much much more appropriate to the Aussie climate.
Postage charges for me were $250 and they arrived exactly 6nights after sending off the money...

The only inconvenience is that you have to go to the bank to do an international money wire transfer (and incur a $30 fee) but in the scheme of things, the savings are massive so well worth the trip to the bank (plus tyrerack gives you all the info you need to make the process painfree and simple)

was just about to say this..
unless ur driving in snow, its prob not worth it.. and you'll actually get pretty bad grip in the dry aswell

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm actually about to go ahead with Tire Rack on some Michelin Super Pilot Sports. They are in the same group of tyres that were compared to the Conti's. The Michelin's get a pretty good rap and in the past I have always stuck with Michelin's and have always been extremely happy. That's not to say the Conti's aren't a bad tyre.

If Tire Rack (hope they're reading this) accepted credit cards or paypal I would have done the deal weeks ago. Now I need to find the time to get to the bank to do an international transfer. PITA to be honest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought extremecontact DW about a month ago from tirerack. 2 tyres plus shipping = $740 and it took about 10 days to get to me. I think Marshall was the guy i dealt with, very prompt and easy to deal with.
And the tyres are awesome quality.. they're quite tall though, i'd wish i had gotten a 245/35 instead of 245/40..

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm partial to a Michelin too but I'm currently running a set of the Conti ExtremeContact DW because they came with the staggered rims I got from Dan.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=829598
They weren't to his liking on the track and the edges were a little tortured when I got them but I am nonetheles very happy. (NB I'm an old fart)
They certianly hang on better in the wet than the 'square' set of Precedas I was running previously.
I also do quite a few kms on dirt and they are pretty amazing for a 245.
With the 225 Michelins it's all armfulls of oppy but the Contis are quite hard to unstick!
Might be a different story once the tread gets lower.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks all.

I have read about the differences, but the DWS are not only cheaper, they have a much higher treadwear rating, that's what made me think the DWS were better for me as I do a bloody lot of highway kms. Even if dry grip was worse than the DW, it would still be much better than a lot of other tyres of the same price range.
I'm actually about to go ahead with Tire Rack on some Michelin Super Pilot Sports. They are in the same group of tyres that were compared to the Conti's. The Michelin's get a pretty good rap and in the past I have always stuck with Michelin's and have always been extremely happy. That's not to say the Conti's aren't a bad tyre.

If Tire Rack (hope they're reading this) accepted credit cards or paypal I would have done the deal weeks ago. Now I need to find the time to get to the bank to do an international transfer. PITA to be honest.
I looked at the Super Sports, but again, that treadwear rating and price compared to the DWS just killed them for me. My PS2s have only lasted me about 8 months. The Pilot Sport A/S Plus were also another option, but wouldn't be worth it for the price with shipping on top. Contis come with road hazard warranty too.
Paypal would be very handy. In regards to credit cards, this is part of an email I got from Gary at Tire Rack:
Also, please be aware that the only form of payment we are able to accept for Australian orders is by bank wire transfer. That is because of privacy laws in your country that apparently prevent banks from being able verify the information we need to process credit card orders. If you are unwilling to pay by wire transfer, we will be unable to assist you in placing an order.

·
me
10,374 Posts
I'm partial to a Michelin too but I'm currently running a set of the Conti ExtremeContact DW because they came with the staggered rims I got from Dan.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=829598
They weren't to his liking on the track and the edges were a little tortured when I got them but I am nonetheles very happy. (NB I'm an old fart)
They certianly hang on better in the wet than the 'square' set of Precedas I was running previously.
I also do quite a few kms on dirt and they are pretty amazing for a 245.
With the 225 Michelins it's all armfulls of oppy but the Contis are quite hard to unstick!
Might be a different story once the tread gets lower.
How old were your old tyres? Do you think it could be because the Contis are brand new?

·
Registered
960 Posts
i just paid for 4 x Bridestone RE-11's @ $960 + $260 delivery to Melbourne - i will not have to pay any customs or GST tax as the goods are under $1000 (you dont include shipping value unless the goods are over $1000)

Paid and within 24 hours received confirmation of shipment from the warehouse

Anyone recommend a good place in Melbourne to have them fitted/balanced?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
i just paid for 4 x Bridestone RE-11's @ $960 + $260 delivery to Melbourne - i will not have to pay any customs or GST tax as the goods are under $1000 (you dont include shipping value unless the goods are over $1000)

Paid and within 24 hours received confirmation of shipment from the warehouse

Anyone recommend a good place in Melbourne to have them fitted/balanced?
Donnellans in Box Hill

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My local Tyre Power "Pro" just called, hadn't heard of the DWS or Super Sports and was very interested to know how I knew about them. Didn't seem to think I was capable of understanding what a treadwear rating was either. He was overly keen on my buying a set of Toyo Teos.
Useless bastard.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm pretty sure Goon rocks the Extreme Contacts on his race car. He loves them.

Takes a week to get them from payment of order. I dealt with Jim via email and phone. Top bloke, knows his stuff.

Only reason I didn't get the Pilot Super Sport were because they are very new and weren't comprehensively tested/reviewed & may have teething problems.

Why don't you get the PS2s again? I find they last longer than the Contisports.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty sure Goon rocks the Extreme Contacts on his race car. He loves them.

Takes a week to get them from payment of order. I dealt with Jim via email and phone. Top bloke, knows his stuff.

Only reason I didn't get the Pilot Super Sport were because they are very new and weren't comprehensively tested/reviewed & may have teething problems.

Why don't you get the PS2s again? I find they last longer than the Contisports.
Tread rating. DWS=540, PS2=220. I'd love to buy PS2s again, they've been very good to me, especially in all this rain we've had. But I can't pay that much for a new set of them every 8 months.

·
Registered
198 Posts
How old were your old tyres? Do you think it could be because the Contis are brand new?
I had them from new but they never seemed quite as good on dirt as these Contis are but yes, the newness surely helps.
The Precedas were essentially worn out in about 16000 kms too.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts