BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mine are in the trunk, just because all the wiring for speakers (output from headunit, and cables that go to front speakers) in BMW is in the trunk where the OEM amp is/was.

But on your car, I have no idea where anything is on your car :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the front set of a/d/s x-overs in the trunk. The rear (side) x-overs are mounted to the inside of the body of the car via high strength adhesive velcro. The distance from the speaker to x-over is not critical, however, make sure to stay away from power lines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would not recommend the door since water can get in there, but anyplace is fine, just consider the humidity :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My custom system uses 6 crossover modules, 4 are in the trunk and 2 are inside the door panel in my M3. So far no problems with moisture; the door itself is sealed by a foam cover.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
It is easier to install it in the trunk (wiring-wise, as well as future troubleshooting/upgrades). You also could have moisture/vibration issues in the doors.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
It also depends on how you're wiring ur speakers. If you are tapping into the existing speaker wires, than it would be easier to place them in the trunk (since that's where the source of the wires are).

If you are running new speaker wires, it's easier to put them in the doors since this would only require you to squeeze one wire pair into the door instead of two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts