E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my dented OEM hood with a better OEM replacement this weekend. It is lined up nicely and is working well, but not perfectly. The safety catch finger hold is sticking out a little beyond the kidney grill when the hood is closed. The finger hold is moved into the grill by a cam on the latch pressing on a plastic piece next to the hole that the safety latch clips into. Before changing the hood, the finger hold did not protrude like this. I pulled both latches off the two hoods and compared them side by side and they look and operate the same. I put the old latch on the new hood and get the same result (protrusion). There does not seem to be a way to adjust this, although another thread references bending a piece of metal to adjust. I think I could get it to work by adding tape to the cam so that the finer hold rotates more, but that would be a temporary fix. Does it look like there is something missing from the cam or the plastic piece that it rotates against?

The second question relates to the third picture. It looks like there should be a clip where my finger is pointing to hold the wire bundle close to the hood. This is the bundle that goes along the hinge, into the grommet shown in the picture, and through the hood and out another grommet to the wiper nozzles. I can't find such a clip in RealOEM. Is there supposed to be one there? If so, can someone share a picture or the part number?

Thanks.

Finger Gas Hood Auto part Machine

Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Tread Gesture Finger

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you both. I was thinking the same thing shanneba. Tommy, it does look like plastic part of the latch is different. I'll have to compare part numbers.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that looks the same as mine. I was referring to the latch when I mentioned the part numbers. Tommy's car is a 2005. Does your latch look like mine? Btw, part #5 is a piece that goes right at the hinge. That's broken on mine too but available at FCP.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The replacement hood is prefacelift coupe, so same as my car. I think I will add washers under the latch plate so the whole mechanism moves closer to the body when the hood is closed. If that doesn't work or causes the latch not to secure the hood, I'll try to add something like resunoiz did. I tried moving the latch around fore and aft, and that didn't help and also resulted in not being able to open the hood at all. Luckily I was able to use a coat hanger to grab the business end of the latch and pull it enough to open it.

It's sort of a mystery to me that this did occur before given that the hood is the same. I noticed, though, that the new hood has different grills on it than my old hood. They have 5 sets of two bars rather than 10 equally spaced bars. Perhaps the bars don't protrude forward as far as what I had before, causing the latch to stick out a bit.

Thanks for all the responses.

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle Car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts