E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW 318 E46 - Twitchy ThreeQ
I have a problem with the handling on a 2000 E46 316i and a 2003 318i in that the steering is very twitchy. An imperfection in road surface causes the steering wheel to jerk left or right.
So far it's been to three mechanics and has had a reconditioned steering rack, two control arms with ball joints and new bushes,

Today I flushed and replaced the ATF in the steering but no improvement. I can't find play in any of the steering or suspension components and the car tracks fine on good roads but as soon as you hit anything less than perfect it wanders all over and I constantly have to correct it.
the 2 cars run on standard 16 inch rims

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
If the alignment is off, the car may become more sensitive to road irregularities.
x2

Do you have sports suspension or sports package? It's caused by that too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
x2

Do you have sports suspension or sports package? It's caused by that too.
Depends on tires as well... not only the correct pressure, but some tires tend to tramline a lot more than other tires/brands.

·
Carbon Fiber Member
642 Posts
allignment, tire pressure, bushings

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had this problem, even with the paint strips on the road. I put new tires on and way better it no longer drives itself:)

·
Carbon Fiber Member
642 Posts
in allot of cases, when all is done mecahincally, it comes donw to bent rims or rotors...

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,237 Posts
When you say "reconditioned steering rack", did that include the rubber coupling (part 32301094703 on my car - check realoem for yours)? I had some wandering on my 48k-mile coupe which was corrected by changing this.

Your mileage may vary, but for $50 it is cheap enough to try.

Good Luck.

Paolo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have new rotors and no bent rims,also should have said this happens at all speeds even when crawling over uneven town surface at 5mph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts