BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 330Ci ZHP out on the track for the first time yesterday and had a great time :woot:, but my traction control was flashing coming out of every turn and even frequently on the straights. I'm wondering if it is possible that my Quaife LSD has somehow confused the DSC system into thinking a wheel is slipping when it isn’t. :confused:

If my LSD has screwed up my DSC then I have a few questions:
1. Do the M3s have a different DSC system from the non-M E46s (because of the OE LSD?), and if so, can you put the M DSC system into a 330?
2. How about the competition package M3s? What is different about their DSC system and would it be possible to swap one of these into a 330?
3. Is it possible that the traction control portion of the DSC system is just that obnoxious for while you’re on the track?

I just want to clarify that the braking portion of the DSC system isn’t bugging me as much as the traction control part of it that is cutting the throttle. It is really annoying when I’m going down a straight after coming out of a turn and the throttle isn’t responding.

If they are all the same and if I just need to disable traction control, then what does everyone here do when they are out at BMWCCA HDPS events where they require that you don’t disable any part of your DSC system?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
yea press and hold that sucker down... turn it off completely :D

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I took my 330Ci ZHP out on the track for the first time yesterday and had a great time :woot:, but my traction control was flashing coming out of every turn and even frequently on the straights. I'm wondering if it is possible that my Quaife LSD has somehow confused the DSC system into thinking a wheel is slipping when it isn’t. :confused:

If my LSD has screwed up my DSC then I have a few questions:
1. Do the M3s have a different DSC system from the non-M E46s (because of the OE LSD?), and if so, can you put the M DSC system into a 330?
2. How about the competition package M3s? What is different about their DSC system and would it be possible to swap one of these into a 330?
3. Is it possible that the traction control portion of the DSC system is just that obnoxious for while you’re on the track?

I just want to clarify that the braking portion of the DSC system isn’t bugging me as much as the traction control part of it that is cutting the throttle. It is really annoying when I’m going down a straight after coming out of a turn and the throttle isn’t responding.

If they are all the same and if I just need to disable traction control, then what does everyone here do when they are out at BMWCCA HDPS events where they require that you don’t disable any part of your DSC system?

Thank you!
find another racing club

·
Registered
204 Posts
oh.. for sure!! And yo usaid they require to leave the traction control on??

is this required for the entire time of the class

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh.. for sure!! And yo usaid they require to leave the traction control on??

is this required for the entire time of the class
Yep, the whole class and regardless of run group as long as you are driving with someone else in the car. Obviously once you get signed off to ride solo (which takes a long time), then you can turn it off, but it seems to me like it would be helpful to have an instructor help you figure out how to drive the track with your actual car.

The TC was especially a shock to me at the track, because ever since I got my LSD put on my car, I've driven every day with the TC part of the DSC disabled as long as the weather is nice.

To answer my question though... is the M3 DSC system different???????????????????????????

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
I had a similar issue with the traction constantly coming in sharper exiting corners, but my issues was my tires. Bad tires in the front, Are you tires good.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
You need to bring up the debate of traction control in class. How is one to learn how to manuever a car in dicey situations with traction control on.

In my experience on track, DSC hinders your performance. Especially when fully engaged.
I've been to BMWCCA events and they say nothing about leaving traction control on. Heck, people drift the tracks.

Turn off traction control and enjoy your track time. Not all cars come with traction control, so it would not be fair for those who do have it (in the right circumtances).

·
Registered
147 Posts
They probably required it to keep noobs safe. Or maybe they assumed turning it off is obvious thing to do and did not mentioned it. Talk to them and find out.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm not experienced on the track, but definitely am experienced with the cars handling behavior on normal roads with TC disabled. I feel like DSC by itself is plenty of a safety net on the track for novice/intermediate drivers, but TC is just a barrier to actually driving the car. Agreement?

Driving with your foot to the floor going through turns, just begging the car to go faster doesn't seem like a good way to learn how to drive properly ;). Seems like a good way to teach bad habbits.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
When I did my driving school track days they actually suggested that you drive with it off so that you can get a different feel for the car. They see the benefits of DSC, but they also argue that it makes the driver overly confident and that it covers up driver errors too much. They told everyone to drive with it on most of the day then drive a bit with it off to see the difference in the car. Needless to say, I was skeptical at first, but I quickly realized that driving with the DSC off allowed me to push the car further and it made me even more aware of what the car was doing.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I'm not experienced on the track, but definitely am experienced with the cars handling behavior on normal roads with TC disabled. I feel like DSC by itself is plenty of a safety net on the track for novice/intermediate drivers, but TC is just a barrier to actually driving the car. Agreement?
Agreed

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wish I had an LSD... you need to turn that DSC fully off... I drive my car 95% with it completely off because it gives a much better input of what the car is doing and because DSC can pull some tricks on you if you try to drive it fast\properly. (One time I forgot to turn it off and was doing a fast 180 degree turn to access the highway, I was expecting the tail to loose a bit of traction and start to feel it loose, but instead, the DSC kicked in and the car understeered like alot and was going straight on to the rails)
LSD RULES !!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts