BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my 330Ci ZHP out on the track for the first time yesterday and had a great time :woot:, but my traction control was flashing coming out of every turn and even frequently on the straights. I'm wondering if it is possible that my Quaife LSD has somehow confused the DSC system into thinking a wheel is slipping when it isn***8217;t. :confused:

If my LSD has screwed up my DSC then I have a few questions:
1. Do the M3s have a different DSC system from the non-M E46s (because of the OE LSD?), and if so, can you put the M DSC system into a 330?
2. How about the competition package M3s? What is different about their DSC system and would it be possible to swap one of these into a 330?
3. Is it possible that the traction control portion of the DSC system is just that obnoxious for while you***8217;re on the track?

I just want to clarify that the braking portion of the DSC system isn***8217;t bugging me as much as the traction control part of it that is cutting the throttle. It is really annoying when I***8217;m going down a straight after coming out of a turn and the throttle isn***8217;t responding.

If they are all the same and if I just need to disable traction control, then what does everyone here do when they are out at BMWCCA HDPS events where they require that you don***8217;t disable any part of your DSC system? I just feel like it is hard to actually learn how to drive your car properly if you are flooring it coming out of every turn and on every straight with no change in acceleration. The most important part of an HPDS seems like it should be learning how to control your car and if you can't control the gas pedal then that seems impossible.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
they require that you don't disable it? :confused:

I agree that it's good to learn the limits of the tires with it on first, but in all seriousness, it's a major drawback at the track.

I think that your problem is that with the lsd, both wheels are spinning on acceleration out of a corner, and you may get a little wee bit of throttle steer that's throwing the system off. It's programmed to stop any sort of spin, even though in this case the spin should be helping you.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Isnt this a double post?? just go re-edit your 1st post.. :confused:
You have 92 posts - how dare you chastise a more senior member. :confused:

I really like the motorsport/track forum but it doesn't get nearly as much traffic as the general forum and I knew that for this kind of questions I'd get very different responses in both places.
Yes, this question is better set here in the Motorsport Forum - I'm almost certain MrShelley, PEI330CI, or Vaio will be able to answer this question.

I might be confused, but I swear I've seen that other members have said that an LSD has caused their DSC to be less intrusive, so this is new to me. I, too, am curious as to what may be causing this...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, this question is better set here in the Motorsport Forum - I'm almost certain MrShelley, PEI330CI, or Vaio will be able to answer this question.

I might be confused, but I swear I've seen that other members have said that an LSD has caused their DSC to be less intrusive, so this is new to me. I, too, am curious as to what may be causing this...
I honestly wouldn't know for sure since I've only ever left the TC on while at the track since they require it. When I drive my 330 on normal streets I always disable TC since I can't stand the feeling of the throttle being cut.

Thanks, I'm subscribed and patiently awaiting a response :popcorn:

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I've had DSC on at a couple of HPDEs and the ABS is what really pisses me off. The M3s w/perf pkg have M Track Mode which raises the threshold where DSC kicks in. Not sure about the other M3s.

But having DSC on helps tremendously in teaching you to be smooth (or punish you for not).

·
Slow in, slower out
4,753 Posts
If they are all the same and if I just need to disable traction control, then what does everyone here do when they are out at BMWCCA HDPS events where they require that you don't disable any part of your DSC system?
I have never heard of that requirement. On the east coast, most instructors will just advise students to leave all the electronic nannies on for their first couple days on track.

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
Just turn that poop off, it's a gimmick anyway. But it may just be that yours got screwed, like mine currently is. My dsc used to do stupid things when it had all of its sensors working, because the central unit was malfunctioning. Run a obdii scan on your dsc module. I killed mine rallying. LSD makes DSC less necessary, I certainly believe so, but i've never had both at the same time.

·
Banned
24,393 Posts
Unless its raining, DSC off. Never heard of a club requiring that you leave it on. The old DSC kick-in can even be dangerous with the abrupt way it can snap the car back. DTC however is :drool:

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
Unless its raining, DSC off. Never heard of a club requiring that you leave it on. The old DSC kick-in can even be dangerous with the abrupt way it can snap the car back. DTC however is :drool:
i guess it functions, it all functions, and quiet well.... dtc, dsc, but turn it all of for the track... some of us dont even have abs, or is that just me?... pei too!
except i want it, i dont think he does

·
Banned
24,393 Posts
i guess it functions, it all functions, and quiet well.... dtc, dsc, but turn it all of for the track... some of us dont even have abs, or is that just me?... pei too!
except i want it, i dont think he does
I like my ABS thank you :p

We tested our e90 Koni car in the rain a few months ago and kept DTC on...man it was fantastic. Both drivers said they felt they could power out of corners just as hard as in the dry.

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
I like my ABS thank you :p

We tested our e90 Koni car in the rain a few months ago and kept DTC on...man it was fantastic. Both drivers said they felt they could power out of corners just as hard as in the dry.
very nice!
In the wet, I bet the entire system can be an asset, especially considering the conditions.
In the dry, I wouldn't consider DTC.
The system as a whole functions so well, it's quiet impressive.

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
Apparently the e90 can defy physics.
One's internal G-meter has a non-optional handicap for wet, so DTC works well.
And who knows without defying physics, it could power just as hard out of corners in the wet as the dry, assisted driving is completely different. The diff is not full lock (Ashley should be able to verify #s for this), thus the inside tire could be slowed by brakes to a mathematically near-perfect cornering situation that a mechanical LSD can't replicate; thus, perhaps powering out of corners as hard as dry.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My local BMWCCA won't let us turn it off either and I'm having the same issue. The wierd part is that it has gotten worse since I made the switch to R-comp tires. The instructor will usually see what a pain it is and let me turn it off halfway so at least it doesn't cut the throttle mid corner. I have started going out with the local Alfa club lately, thier rules are much more casual.

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
My local BMWCCA won't let us turn it off either and I'm having the same issue. The wierd part is that it has gotten worse since I made the switch to R-comp tires. The instructor will usually see what a pain it is and let me turn it off halfway so at least it doesn't cut the throttle mid corner. I have started going out with the local Alfa club lately, thier rules are much more casual.
unplug a wheel sensor before your next track day, abs will be off too... but i think probably a better overall experience and you may just be able to claim your car doesnt have it

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oh wait, that's gonna trigger the dash lights. That's what they look for.
SpeedDemon- I just noticed that we are from the same area. So this was at Pacific Raceway? I feel your pain. Like I said, maybe try going out with the Alfa club. It's cheaper too. They have an evening lapping day coming up on the 17th at PR. It's $200 bucks, no $35 dollar tech inspection ( it's done at the track ) and as long as you demonstrate that you are in control of your car they often sign you off to drive solo that day. See...... Much more casual rules. :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh wait, that's gonna trigger the dash lights. That's what they look for.
SpeedDemon- I just noticed that we are from the same area. So this was at Pacific Raceway? I feel your pain. Like I said, maybe try going out with the Alfa club. It's cheaper too. They have an evening lapping day coming up on the 17th at PR. It's $200 bucks, no $35 dollar tech inspection ( it's done at the track ) and as long as you demonstrate that you are in control of your car they often sign you off to drive solo that day. See...... Much more casual rules. :)
Thanks for the tip. Some of the instructors at the last HPDS day told me the same thing.

I think the Traction Control is particularly a problem for us at Pacific because of how uneven the tarmac is. I think that the wheels are constantly skipping across the rough surface which makes the car think its sliding when the tires are just up in the air for a hundredth of a second :woot:

We'll have to say hi the next time we're at PR; I didn't see many E46s out at the last event on 5/21. Are you going to the 7/10 HPDS? What run group are you in?

Also... did you just recently have the Twin Screw installed on your 325 at Group2?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts