E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people ride with you and you turn off DSC for better performance, do they ask you: "Hey your parking light is on, heheh, yeah, my car is broken like that, too." Then you get mad and tell them, "it's not broken, I just turned off traction, see I'll show you..." and proceed to turn DSC back on, then they shut up.
I swear everyone who rides with me has commented that when I turn off DSC. And one time my bro & I switched seats and he saw the light and attempted to lower the parking break, which was already lowered.
Why did BMW do that? Couldn't just a put small light on the DSC button?

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
BMW did that because they needed to make it readily apparent that traction control is turned off, and when it's active.

I agree that the light can be kind of annoying, but it's an easy lawsuit. :p This IS the country where assholes sue because they spill coffee on themselves.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
No one has ever said that in my car :dunno:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
me neither, but perhaps that's because I don't drive around with my DSC off because I know better..

Chip-

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
carguy84 said:
me neither, but perhaps that's because I don't drive around with my DSC off because I know better..

Chip-
this time of year with all the ice and stuff, your comment makes perfect sense, but on a nice summer day whats wrong with turning the DSC off?? It's like driving any normal car......most cars arent governed by a "baby monitor" protecting you from every overturn and misstep you make.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
this time of year with all the ice and stuff, your comment makes perfect sense, but on a nice summer day whats wrong with turning the DSC off?? It's like driving any normal car......most cars arent governed by a "baby monitor" protecting you from every overturn and misstep you make.
Do a search on the word "crash" on this forum. Equate that to the inexperience of 80% of the drivers here. Relate that back to the amount of people who chose not to drive with DSC on. Let me know what you find and what you think about driving with DSC off. Sure DSC isn't perfect, but neither are any drivers here. And the mean age here is something like 22 years old....not exactly pushing the experience barrier. Plus for a lot of these people it's their first "powerful" car...not a good combo when you think you're invincible.

Driving around with DSC off is just asking for trouble. There is no reason to need it off when driving on public roads. BMWCCA.....

Chip-

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
carguy84 said:

Do a search on the word "crash" on this forum. Equate that to the inexperience of 80% of the drivers here. Relate that back to the amount of people who chose not to drive with DSC on. Let me know what you find and what you think about driving with DSC off. Sure DSC isn't perfect, but neither are any drivers here. And the mean age here is something like 22 years old....not exactly pushing the experience barrier. Plus for a lot of these people it's their first "powerful" car...not a good combo when you think you're invincible.

Driving around with DSC off is just asking for trouble. There is no reason to need it off when driving on public roads. BMWCCA.....

Chip-
Driving with DSC off is just like driving any other car, yes you are absolutely right about car crashes and DSC off, but I gaurentee almost all of them are also in some way also related to having it off during bad weather.

Rather than judge those that choose to turn the DSC off once in awhile, why dont you take into more consideration on the the reasons why the people got in the accidents to begin with, proly for doing stupid and dangerous stuff with their car.-Yes its something that DSC could have helped out with, but the real issue is the dangerous driving, NOT the DSC button.

As for the second comment about no reason to turn it off- thats just crazy- Im sure youve must of been in a snow storm or two??? From a stop, try moving one foot with the DSC on in a few inches of snow, you NEED the tires to spin, something the DSC doesnt allow, once you getting moving though, by all means your an idiot for leaving it off in those conditions......

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
From a stop, try moving one foot with the DSC on in a few inches of snow, you NEED the tires to spin, something the DSC doesnt allow, once you getting moving though, by all means your an idiot for leaving it off in those conditions......
Yes, a rare exception. However, I have driven all winter without needing to turn it off, and that includes driving through 6 inches of snow. As long as you prepare your car for the winter, eg. winter tires as you should with a sports sedan that normally fronts Z rated tires, you're going to need to turn off DSC in extremely rare circumstances. I've been on some pretty steep inclines, and while my wheels did slip, the power robbing that DSC provides helps more then more wheel spin would have had I turned it off and tried to power up the hill.

I see your point, and do know that sometimes it is necessary to turn it off, but I think you'll agree this thread isn't about wintery weather spirited driving. I just don't think people realize how easy it is to race their cars at sanctioned events. This would eliminate a lot of street racing, as you get your curiousities about your car answered at these events, and you learn a lot about your car and how it reacts in all sorts of circumstances.

BMW says the only time you should turn of DSC is when you are traveling over 120 mph. They are certainly safety oriented and I don't htink that's such a bad thing on public roads.

Chip-

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't want to discuss whether or not to turn DSC on or off, but since we're already doing it, I must add that during last year's snow here in Portland, I found DSC extremely useful. I kept it on driving through snow and whenever the car slipped (which was often), the DSC would put it back on track. It was kinda fun driving in snow.
I only have DSC off when I want to do straight line speeding, tho.

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
carguy84 said:

BMW says the only time you should turn of DSC is when you are traveling over 120 mph. They are certainly safety oriented and I don't htink that's such a bad thing on public roads.

Chip-
I just have to ask- how is 120mph safe???;)

I have winter tires on (blizzaks) and still I got caught in the snow coming home from work during that one sorta big snowstorm. They honestly didnt do me much good, as I was still sliding everywhere. I was scared to death. And everytime I had to stop at a light or something, I got stuck, so I had to turn OFF my DSC and rock the car back and forth, to go. It really wasnt fun..:sad:

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
floor-it said:
I didn't want to discuss whether or not to turn DSC on or off, but since we're already doing it, I must add that during last year's snow here in Portland, I found DSC extremely useful. I kept it on driving through snow and whenever the car slipped (which was often), the DSC would put it back on track. It was kinda fun driving in snow.
I only have DSC off when I want to do straight line speeding, tho.
my attentions wasnt to hijack the thread.

I apologize, "floor-it"

·
Registered
740 Posts
floor-it said:
When people ride with you and you turn off DSC for better performance, do they ask you: "Hey your parking light is on, heheh, yeah, my car is broken like that, too." Then you get mad and tell them, "it's not broken, I just turned off traction, see I'll show you..." and proceed to turn DSC back on, then they shut up.
I swear everyone who rides with me has commented that when I turn off DSC. And one time my bro & I switched seats and he saw the light and attempted to lower the parking break, which was already lowered.
Why did BMW do that? Couldn't just a put small light on the DSC button?
haha I get that all the time.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
bmwti, what size are your blizzaks?

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK, I have a question. Here in Texas we don't get much snow or ice. There is a busy intersection that I go through every day on the way home from work. It is a sharp right turn, followed by some railroad tracks. The cross traffic does not stop. So I gotta turn and punch it to get up to speed. However, with the sharp right immediately followed by the RR track, the DSC *ALWAYS* cuts power. It is very annoying, expecting to accellerate quickly, and have the throttle cut.

Is there a way to turn the throttle cut off without disabling the whole system?

·
Registered
443 Posts
carguy84 said:

Chip-
I can't agree more.

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,943 Posts
ttenn said:
the DSC *ALWAYS* cuts power. It is very annoying, expecting to accellerate quickly, and have the throttle cut.

Is there a way to turn the throttle cut off without disabling the whole system?
I seriously doubt it. Unless you can reprogram it to do that somehow. It's worth looking into I suppose. I was wondering the same thing.

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,434 Posts
carguy84 said:

Chip-
roger that

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was playing with it last night. If you just tap the button, the yellow indicator on the dash lights. If you hold it in for a few seconds, the brake light on the dash comes on too, but it is yellow instead of red. I wonder what that means. I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.... get out the manual.... boring....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts