E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I joined the site a few weeks ago, and haven't made any posts yet, so I am just going to take this opportunity to say hi! I have always had a thing for BMW's and started driving them in 2005. I have an 2002 Alpine White 325i Sedan (Facelift). I have very few mods to my vehicle other than the USASpec iPod CD changer adapter, and the lighted M shift knob.:tsk:

Today though, I took a plunge in an attempt to make my BMW a little more unique and purchased the Clear LED Eagle Eyes, the Clear Side Markers with LED bulbs, the clear corner turn signals with black trim and LED bulbs, and the blackout kidney grills from khoalty.com :excited: . So far my purchase experience has been very good.

Thumbs up to their overhaul on the website, it looks much nicer! I made the purchase today around 2:15PM and they have already packaged my order and sent me a UPS tracking number at 3:40PM - WOW!

I have been doing quite a bit of research online and have found variable reviews from posters in this as well as other web sites, and thought that others like me would appreciate one more opinion from previous customers when making online purchses, so I intend to continue this thread to:

1) Give my own evaluation of khoalty's service.
2) Run a DIY of the install of these parts on an 02 325i Facelift Sedan.
3) Evaluate the quality and fitment of the parts that I have ordered.
(Hopefully with pictures to walk along the way)

So here we go!
If there are no responses, I will make my next post when the products arrive, and when I get to working on installing them! :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anybody has any words of wisdom who have walked through the procedure before on any of these items it would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Purchased side markers, turn lights and grills from khoalty perfect fit east install. Pull out your old grills and just push the new ones in I found that the best way. Great products!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another plus for Khoalty on this one! Dean from khoalty pm'd me to make sure I purchased the resistors that I would need to make the LED turn signals work. The problem came from the fact that they now advertise the LED lights when purchasing clear corner markers, but only when shopping in the LED light section does the information that you will need a resistor come up. He said he would look into getting that added to my order and working with the shipping if my order had already left the facility. Way to go!

·
Registered
459 Posts
If anybody has any words of wisdom who have walked through the procedure before on any of these items it would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Installation on everything is pretty straight forward and easy to do so long as you're patient and attentive. Be careful when taking you headlight housing apart for the Angel Eyes as the clips are just plastic and the weather stripping can become rather brittle over time and may break apart a little. Also when wiring up those resistors for your LED Turns make sure you secure them with either tie-wraps or screws to an area that's free and clear of other wiring and plastic as those things get REALLY hot. I'm talking burn your hands hot. The last thing ya want is to have it come dislodged and fall onto something and melt it away (or cause a fire). I have mine mounted with screws near my intake and the washer fluid reservoir away from everything. Double sided tape won't work because of how hot they get.

Also, welcome :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Welcome to the forums. my car started out just like yours not even a year ago. ive have purchased pretty much everything through Khoalty. They are a great vendor and do as much as they can to take care of their customers. Cant wait to see progress on the car. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shippment Arrived!

Alright, so my package of goodies arrived with all my goodies last night from UPS! Yea! I opened it all up and checked it all out last night (as you do when you are excited for new goodies :woot: . Everything was shipped in great condition. I was a little concerned about the way the Eagle Eyes looked from the trunk, in some previous DIY posts. But I have been reading how there seems to be two versions or productions or whatever you want to call it. Mine must be the newer ones as they look much nicer than I have seen previously (more of an OEM look than an aftermarket look :p ). To our sponsors, that may be a nice picture to add to your website if you do in fact stock the cleaner newer version as I was not sure which I would receive until I opened the package last night. Very glad that I got the ones that I did though!

I plan to get as much installed this morning as I can and will be taking pictures along the way. I may not get them posted till tonight or tomorrow as I am also planning on going to visit with my parents and brother later this afternoon.

Getting a bit of a delayed start trying to get my son off to daycare for the day and figuring out where he hid the camera from us! Ha! But, the camera is found and we will be on the move shortly.

I want to do this DIY justice, so I will do my best to put together a thorough write up and not post premature and incomplete instructions. If time allows I plan to install everything but the LED corner lights as the resistors that I will need should be arriving in a couple days. If any of you guys could post pictures of how you have installed the resistors on your E46's to give me a few Ideas I would appreciate it. It sounds like they get hot enough that double sided tape wont be an option. Some have said that actually bolting/screwing them down to something metal without paint seems to be the best, but pics would be very helpful!! :thumbup: Thanks in Advance!

I will keep you all posted on the progress. Off to drop off the little guy, give the car a quick wash and maybe even pick up some of the 3M adhesive remover that I have read about as a good option to remove our badges if I get that far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did Everything Except Badge Removal

I am going to take some time and hopefully put together a good DIY. I hope I took enough pictures along the way that there should be a pretty good DIY. Got a little annoyed by a few plastic rivets in the trunk that, since the car is nearly 10 years old got quite brittle and broke! :ben: So there were a few steps that I got a little frustrated around and should have taken more pics, but oh well, its done and looks good.

Expect pics to come with the DIY. The one thing I do wonder though from those of you at Khoalty: I feel like the color of the LED front corner turn signals i got are much more red in color than the side markers, is this normal, or do you think I may have accidentally gotten a set of red/orange LED? They appear a dark orange to red, while the side markers look a lot more yellow?

Is this normal?

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the final product, I will be filling in with the DIY soon!

Next up - Badge Removal, New Hood/Trunk/Wheel Emblems (I hope to find Black and White in Carbon Fiber, and preferrably with the BMW letters- If I can't find a decent price on emblems with the Lettering I will probably order the non lettered version from Khoalthy since I have had a good experience with them so far).

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Front Corner Light DIY

Like all the others have said when creating a DIY, this is only my experience of installing these parts with my particular vehicle and I will not be held accountable for any unforeseen consequences with any other individuals vehicle should you choose to use this DIY.

Of all the projects I completed yesterday this and the side markers were by far the easiest!

Before you get started this is what your front corners will look like.

Once the hood is popped you will see a Phillips Head screw sitting just behind the corner light where the screw driver is placed in the photo below. Loosen (but do not remove) this screw. You will notice when you remove your old corner light that this screw simply pinches two plastic prongs of the corner light and so full removal of this screw is not necessary.

Once the screw is loosened you simply pull the old corner light assembly out of the car by gently pulling out towards the front of the vehicle. Once you pull it out of the car, it will only be attached to the vehicle by the electrical wiring to the corner light so be gentle.

Once the old corner is removed from its housing you will be able to remove the wiring and bulb from the assembly, if I remember correctly you will turn counter-clockwise (if I remember correctly) and simply pull the bulb straight out.

Now would be the time to replace the lights too. Remember that many states do not allow white blinkers and you can be ticketed for clear blinkers. I am NOT a layer or giving any advice but I did find a document on the Colorado DOT website that states:

(2) Any motor vehicle may be equipped, and when required under this Code shall be equipped, with lamps showing to the front and rear for the purpose of indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left. Such lamps showing to the front shall be located on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and when in use shall display a white or amber light, or any shade of color between white and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred feet to the front in normal sunlight, and the lamps showing to the rear shall be located at
the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, except as provided in section 215.5, when in use shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred feet to the rear in normal sunlight.

That being said, I will still play it on the safe side and change my bulbs to the yellow/amber. Most states do NOT allow white turn signals, so if that is the case in your state you will have to buy new bulbs as the stock turning assembly is a white bulb behind an amber shade.

You will have to remove your lighting assembly to know for sure which bulbs need to be purchased for your vehicle. I found Khoalty.com to have a helpful guide when it cam to selecting the correct bulbs for your car.

I purchased the LED bulbs and was concerned about their strength when inserting them into the assembly since it requires pushing in on the bulb and turning at the same time, but I took my time and was as gentle as i could be and all was well.

After returning the bulb into your new clear/smoked assembly (reverse of removing them) the only trick is to line up the three guides on the corner light. One is the plastic prongs where the washer and Phillips head screw hold the corner assembly in place.

The other two are on the medial (towards the grill) and lateral (away from the grill). Sorry but I was only able to get a good picture of the outside guide, the other picture just didn't turn out well.

Last step (unless you chose to install LED lights) is to tighten the screw from the first step back down and enjoy your new turn signals!

I have an interesting experience with the LED bulbs (and no resistors yet). I only seem to get a temporary Bulb out error and fast blink on my cluster. Once I start my car I get an immediate bulb out indicator on the dash, and the bulbls blink fast, but once I go to use the bulbs they only flash fast for about 3 seconds and return to a normal blink and the warning indicators on my dash go away? Weird huh? Anyway, my resistors should be coming in the mail in the next few days so I don't have any instructions for that part yet. Hope this was helpful! Expect DIY's for the other projects I completed yesterday soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clear/Smoked Side Marker Install

Ok, so this is super easy, probably even easier than the front corner install. Like all the other DIY's on this site, this is only my experience of performing this modification and will not be held responsible for any damage or unforeseen problems that may occur while performing this task.

So, I performed this install on a 2002 E46 325i Sedan (Facelift). This is what it looks like when you start.

The first thing you do is take the old side markers off. It is SOOOO simple. Basically you need your fingers, something flat and sturdy, and something soft like a cloth or some damp paper towels to protect your paint. I used a flat head screw driver and damp paper towels, but I have heard of others who just use an old credit card.

The key is to apply a moderate amount of force on the side marker toward the front of the car (this will compress the spring like tab that holds the side marker in place). Then all you have to do is lift the marker off the car (but is hard to get a good grip on it with just your fingers so that is why most people recommend using something to lift it off the surface of the car). Here is a diagram, sorry I don't have a picture of myself actually doing this part, it requires using both hands and I was doing the project by myself so there was nobody else to take a picture of the action of taking it out, but I feel the pictures get the point across.

Once the marker is pulled off the body of the car this is a good time to give the body under that area a good cleaning as there is a lot of dirt and grime that can build up under that area that you can't clean during routine car wash (I had cleaned my car immediately before this install and you can see how much dirt I had! Yikes!)

The next step is to remove the bulb and replace it with either the chrome finished amber halogen, amber halogen, or yellow/amber LED depending on which you chose to install. If you chose the LED route on this part, it has been my understanding that mostly any car should be fine without resistors as there doesn't seem to be bulb out indicator for the side markers (I could be wrong with some makes and models so don't quote me on that, You surely wont need the resistors for a Sept. 2002 E46 325i Sedan (Facelift)).

The switch is VERY easy for the bulbs, they pull straight out and the replacement is pushed straight in no twisting needed for the bulb.

Sorry I didn't have a picture with the new side marker and after cleaning under the body to demonstrate re-seating the marker, but the construction is nearly identical, the Kloalty side markers have less metal construction, but their use is identical. The picture below is of the old side marker with some instructions on how to reinstall (We'll just pretend it's clear!)

Then you can simply sit back and enjoy your awesome new side markers (after you repeat on the other side of the car obviously).

They Look Great. I know a lot of people like the amber, but it just doesn't work for my personal preference.

Here is a photo with the LED lit up. I think I will take a picture at night time to add soon for comparisons sake too.

Happy Modding!
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any update on the LED resistor install? I am looking at this package from Khoalty and want to see the final results on the LED corners (color, temp, ect)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
2001bmw330 said:
hey man those leds you got for the front corner lamps did they have the built in resistors to prevent the bulb out on the dash and the hyper flash
No, I have been looking for a while now, and haven't seen any built in resistors for LED lights, and honestly after I started reading about the heat production of the resistors, I quit looking because I didn't want to damage my new clear corners. There may be such a thing out there, but I'm not sure. The resistors were actually quite easy to install, I am FAR from a mechanic, and it was a simple job (just wish the resistors from Khoalty had longer wires to make the placement of the resistors a little simpler.

I have bought two different sets of bulbs so far. And they both have their pluses and minuses.

The bulbs you have seen in my previous posts were from Khoalty:

Pro's:
-They are much less expensive.
-I love the tower design to their bulb with led's placed in all directions! I really lights up the Clear corners well.

Cons:
-They are more of a red amber than a yellow amber (personally I just want straight up yellow with no amber so I consider this a con, but you may want this look, it's a personal preference).

As for the bulbs I purchased from JleviSW (V3 LED bulbs):

Pros:
-They are VERY bright (Their videos show them as brighter than halogens, I didn't do the side by side comparison myself, but they are definitely brighter than Khoalty's bulbs).
-They are much closer to the nice yellow I was looking for (like the EE LED tails emit in the turn signal).

Cons:
-They seem to lack some of the nice near 360 degree light emission aspects that the Khoalty bulbs have.
-They are $30 a pair so they are more expensive.

Sorry for the crappy pic of the JlevSW bulbs, I took it with my phone, it actually looks a little more yellow in person and less blurry and crappy.
MIND YOU THIS IS A NIGHT TIME IMAGE FROM A BlackBerry Phone (not a great camera) so I will update with better pics in the future.

I think I will stay with the JlevSW as the color matches much closer to what I want but I think they are both good bulbs.

Hope I answered your question. If you have more feel free to as, I will be out of town so I may not reply the same day, but I will be checking in periodically.

I am also looking for a better side marker bulb, but have not found one that I want to stick with yet. I have Khoaly's now, but am interested to see what else is available. I would love to just spend the extra money and buy the whole marker with the array of 3 or more LED's spread through the marker at different angles, but I have had no luck at finding one that:

-Is the nice yellow color I like.
-Fits a 2002 E46 Sedan Facelift 325i (only found coupe)
-Has good light output (there are no warning lights attached to these so no worries about resistors).

If I can't find any, I will probably continue to search for other LED bulb options for the 194 peanut sized bulb. I bought the 5 LED Matrix peanut bulb from Autoillumination.com but:

-It has the amber color that is more red than yellow.
-And the little nubs on the less powerful bulbs around the perimiter are like 1mm too wide to fit through the side marker housing ( :ben: ).

But oh well they are not the color I want anyway (I am actually kind of glad now that my dumb ass accidentally order only one bulb since I probably won't end up using it anyway).

I might try to sand down of the nubs just to see if I can get it to fit what type of brightness it produces in comparison.

Let me know if you know of any good side marker assemblies or bulbs.

I think I will be happy with the JlevSW's but but I wish there could be a cross between Khoalty and JlevSW corner marker bulbs. I would love to have JlevSW's bulbs Intensity and color + 360 degree dispersion for best daytime visibility (not because they aren't bright enough but because they are unidirectional and unlike stock corner assemblies, the depo corners do not have the reflective surface across the clear area).

Hope this was helpful! :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any update on the LED resistor install? I am looking at this package from Khoalty and want to see the final results on the LED corners (color, temp, ect)
Sorry for the lack of progress on this thread lately, I am in a doctor of pharmacy program and the curriculum is quite intense at times, I have been to busy to finish my DIY for the resistors (plus I did the job with what I had handy instead of going out and getting the right parts for the job, so It looks kind of ghetto but functional. here are a couple pics with no explanation as I have not had time to create a respectable DIY yet.

I did start the DIY with the 1 and only edited pic the other day though, I would like to say that I will have the rest of the DIY up soon, but I am going out of town for a professional convention this weekend, and with school, it may be a few weeks or so before I get a presentable DIY completed.

In fact, now that i am reviewing my pics, I never got a good shot of the final product (though kinda ghetto, I want to eventually remove the wire that came pre-attached to the resistors and replace with longer wires so I place the resistors in a more inconspicuous place with nuts and bolts instead of wire). GHETTO, will probably clean up this summer when classes are done though.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you made any progress finding a good LED side marker bulb? I've been searching for a while, and I don't think JLevi sells them anymore. I saw search results on Google for Umnitza, but their website is down every time I try to shop...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts