BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My e46 330ci signal lights and emergency lights doesnt show on the cluster any more and can't hear the click of the signal inside the car. if I switch on the lights or the fog light they are working but their signs doesnt work on the cluster.
the steps i did are:
-I changed a control light module which did not help.
-I changed the cluster and got no result ( cluster needs programming did not do it ) I was testing to see signals.
-I tested a signal switch ( honestly did not open the steering wheel and replaced, I just removed the the steering cover and plugged it ( it was functioning but not signal light appeared on the cluster).
-All fuses were checked.
* I need help please 馃槶 what I need to do next. I heard there is a blinker next to the steering wheel or relay which I couldn't identify.

Registered
Go to the hidden OBC functions and run the self test for the instrument cluster (test 2) to confirm all the lights in the cluster are working. If they are then you will need to check the circuit feed to the lights in cluster.

Premium Member
Sounds like a k-bus problem. The LED in the cluster or the drive circuit for these lights never go bad, so don鈥檛 bother with that. Check the k-bus. Check these things as well: turn on high beams and check light on cluster, turn on fog lights and check the light on cluster, try the steering wheel radio controls for volume and up/down station-track. Also check does the AC blow cold. If the k-bus is the problem none of these other things will work properly. Also you will not be able to read fault codes from anything except the engine, transmission and cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
hi , turn signal light , hi beam , fog light working properly and no signs on cluster.
A/C is cooling as it should be .
the cluster test didn't work for me , I dont know why .
will try to check the K-bus

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thank you so much guys , really appreciate your help .
I tried the K-bus today was pain in the ass hhhh. However I managed to open all the connectors and try one by one but unfortunately it was a negative result .
I measured all the connectors with a multimeter with the car ignition ON i got 9.80Volt and with the car engine running I got 11.15 Volt . ( positive cable to the pin and negative to the body ).
- Cluster test is done and all light appeared on the cluster ( signal lights illuminated)

Do you think there is a relay related somewhere perhaps 馃.
Am mad to solve this problem .鈦

Premium Member
Strange. When the k-bus is bad the A/C should not engage the A/C compressor clutch and it should not blow Cold air. Very strange.

With >9 Volts on the k-bus it sounds like it鈥檚 probably fine. With the A/C working sounds like the cluster and IHKA modules are communicating over the k-bus. The turn signals, fog lights, high beams not causing the associated indicator lights in the cluster to light up sounds like the LSZ (light control module) is not talking on the k-bus. The other simple k-bus test is the steering wheel radio controls. If they work then k-bus is working and you need can rule that out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thank you scottjoh , I did change LCM for testing , it worked as it should be but same issue remained and the xenon lights outside started flickering when LCM in ON position . I replaced the old one and light were steady. ( it needs programming i guess).
I watched YouTube which I found that you have to change the ELMOS electronic ship which is responsible for communication . I did that and i f**cked my cluster hhhhh.
I changed a new cluster today which I can see wrong mileage and when I switch On the lights on my LCM the cluster does not illuminate ( seat belt and handbrake + traction control are functional on the cluster). Do you have any idea how to program a new cluster on e46.
Bottom line even the cluster is not the issue.
Am so far good with mechanical fixing but this shiiit electricity am totally lost but learning lot of stuff.
You guys are brilliant 馃憦 with helping and will definitely share my experience when I get a positive outcome.
Am still breaking things until I get there .

Premium Member
I changed a new cluster today which I can see wrong mileage and when I switch On the lights on my LCM the cluster does not illuminate ( seat belt and handbrake + traction control are functional on the cluster). Do you have any idea how to program a new cluster on e46.
Bottom line even the cluster is not the issue..
I have no idea how to reprogram a cluster. I only repair them. I do not do any programming.

Also it sounds like you are putting a Motometer cluster (black rear cover) in a car that had a Bosch cluster (gray rear cover).

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah scottjoh , that is the motometer cluster I do have on my car ; Gray inside and black cover . Very rare to find that type i guess . I looked everywhere.
I live in dubai and there is no cluster repair anywhere over here .
I tried to start the business and I did damaged my cluster hhhhh.
I heard about a shop which they do programming for bmw cluster , radios ....
I will check with them if it might work ."
鈽 Do I need to change a cluster with the same type of my car , gray inside and black back cover ????.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
hi there , I visited a shop who does programming. He just replied that he doesn't deal with old cars hhhhh.
He instructed me to change a cluster with same part number which will work automatically. Any other cluster number won't match and reprogramming them is almost impossible.
I shouldn't play with my cluster before I know this information 馃拃

Registered
If the shop says it is almost impossible they don't know what they are talking about. There are definitely ways to upgrade the cluster in your car to a newer version of you wanted to do that. It does involve taking it apart and either wiping the M35080 chip or replacing it. Once you have a virgin cluster it is configured for your car just like a brand new cluster would be. The only reason to keep the old cluster or replace with an identical model is to retain originality (which is important to some people I guess).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Registered
I should add that doing this requires special equipment and tools so there is quite an investment needed to be able to do this programming yourself. There are several tutorials available online that describe this process though, so if you want to go down that rabbit hole you can.

With that said, modifying clusters is illegal in many places and I don't know the laws over there. Here in the US it is different by state but generally as long as you don't misrepresent the mileage it is ok.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Mate , I was so stupid to play with my cluster and I don't advice anyone to do that .
My main issue was the turn signals and hi -low beam and fog light signs does not appear on my cluster.
I followed all the possible things before I play with the cluster.
I watched in the youtube that ELMOS 10020B is responsible for communication and I did replace the ship from another cluster and nothing changed . my cluster was still working properly but light signals did not come back.
Evil whispered to me to go ahead and change the M35080 . the junkyard cluster was disassembled and assembled properly and mine was fu***** destroyed.
鈽 Now I ended up putting a cluster which works properly all gauges. odometer shows different and when i switch on the lights at night it doesn't work on the cluster.
I already played with my M35080 . Now am looking for same part number cluster which i can't find anywhere lol.
As I said guys you are in US 馃嚭馃嚫 you have pro shops to fix clusters. Am in Dubai where the ferrari has no value hhhhh.
I hope to get there anyways.
I heard many people changed the same part cluster number and that worked perfectly without any hussles.

Registered
In order to lower the mileage or change the vin number you will need to modify the M35080. Based on what you've already done, it shouldn't be too difficult for you. I'll track down a link for the device I use. It simply snaps in top of the chip so no soldering needed. Obviously it won't fix the problem with the lights not lighting up but it's still a good idea assuming you have to go to a DMV type place every once in a while.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks bro.
I usually order all my stuff from US shipped to the hotel as am working for an airline in the middle east .
Flights to US are reduced so this option will be considered when we resume flights to US and if no luck for me to find same part number (cluster).
You guys are lovely and very helpful 馃槉. thx a lot .

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
]My friend in the junkyard found for me same cluster type gray from inside but not same part number . It has low mileage 144400 km . I changed it and it worked fine 馃檪 but still the signal light and other lights doesnt work on cluster means the issue is not the cluster.
I payed 50$ for it .

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Hi bimmers ; anyone can help me out please with these two codes :

*2D Multifunction Steering Wheel, Monitoring, Interface

*83 Signal,CAN Instrument Cluster

I think this can help me identify the issue of my lights not appearing on the dashboard.
-What do I have to check regarding these two codes .
Note : Now cluster and LCM are changed without programming and my issue still the same.
thx a lot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts