E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a S.C'd 330 and Kromex raced who would win?? In other words, is turboed 330 faster than a supercharged one?? And what is so special and hard about getting a turbo in your engine?? Forgive my ignorance, but if you modify it a little isn't it quite a possible like what kromex did to his??? :dunno:

·
Mod Squad
9,629 Posts
I'd put my money on a turbo'd 330 beating a SC'd one. Figure if the turbo lost the first race, he could just turn up the boost for the next run and get even.

·
Registered
543 Posts
SC's are like all around performance..but once the turbo kicks in ..hes gonna be gone!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From my understanding SC'd 330's don't lose to M3's by too far therefore Turboed 330 should beat or get even with an M3??:dunno: And does anyone know if there is any turbo kits available for 330's???

·
Registered
410 Posts
how are turbo and supercharger different?
turbo is faster right?but i heard it doesnt last as long?:dunno:

·
needs a new sig...
3,408 Posts
SC is belt driven blower that is alwys giving the car boost..a turbo is run off exhaust gas and may lag till the turbo spools :search: you might find some more info or google could help..i am too lazy to explain it in detail..IMO SC is more cost effective because there are already kits out there that hve been tuned!

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,172 Posts
I keep wondering myself what is better turbo or SC? Samir give us some expert explaination on PROs and CONs :D

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
well with the turbo when it kicks in its like nos button you see? but with sc kicking in its constant so its not really like a nos kick in. So in the end i would say Turbo would beat a SC because its faster

·
Registered
874 Posts
I can explain the difference, but Its long and drawn out...if you wish, I will explain the difference and pro's/cons. I've got experience using both on the same car (on an Integra Type R and a Mustang Saleen)...

·
Registered
410 Posts
TheDream21479 said:
I can explain the difference, but Its long and drawn out...if you wish, I will explain the difference and pro's/cons. I've got experience using both on the same car (on an Integra Type R and a Mustang Saleen)...

explain it,,,,im very interested:D

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
I can try to do it briefly....
both are "fans" forcing air into the engine.....

supercharger
a fan is spun by a belt, attached to your engine....the engine drives the belt, the faster the engine goes, the faster the belt spins, making the fan spin and push more air into the engine....no lag because it is always spinning....even at a slower rate(low rpm)

turbo
Same thing, except the fan spins by exhaust gases routed from your engine....faster engine goes, more gases released, faster the fan pushes in air...however, since there is no belt, there is no extra effort on the engine....hence the higher hp....also it can push more air into the engine then a supercharger...at low rpm there isnt enough gases to spool the turbo a lot, thus not so much air being pushed in....as rpm's rise A LOT of air gets pushed into the engine

the cons for a turbo is its less reliable....under high boost something WILL break....more complicated
the offset is it offers MUCH better performance

Supercharger is "always on"....more reliable...usually not enough boost to break something....but will never yield the hp numbers of a turbo on the same car.

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 992 Carrera C2S arriving soon!!!
2,355 Posts
K-DOG said:
I can try to do it briefly....
both are "fans" forcing air into the engine.....

supercharger
a fan is spun by a belt, attached to your engine....the engine drives the belt, the faster the engine goes, the faster the belt spins, making the fan spin and push more air into the engine....no lag because it is always spinning....even at a slower rate(low rpm)

turbo
Same thing, except the fan spins by exhaust gases routed from your engine....faster engine goes, more gases released, faster the fan pushes in air...however, since there is no belt, there is no extra effort on the engine....hence the higher hp....also it can push more air into the engine then a supercharger...at low rpm there isnt enough gases to spool the turbo a lot, thus not so much air being pushed in....as rpm's rise A LOT of air gets pushed into the engine

the cons for a turbo is its less reliable....under high boost something WILL break....more complicated
the offset is it offers MUCH better performance

Supercharger is "always on"....more reliable...usually not enough boost to break something....but will never yield the hp numbers of a turbo on the same car.
Pretty detailed response, but there is a slight difference in Roots type blowers, centrifugal, and screw type blowers. In a nutshell:

centrifugal- compresses air using an impeller, then discharges using a scroll. Similar to turbo, but doesn't use exhaust gas...is driven by crank pulley. The most user-friendly way to SC a motor. Ability to change impeller size creates inexpensive ways to change power curve. Standard for street use and light racing duty and outsells the other 2 types. (Used on some fords....Vortec, RMS, ESS, etc)

Roots type- first type of SC made. Acts like an air pump, not a compressor, and have a 2 or 3 rotor design. Positive pressure at the crack of the throttle, and typically the ones you see hanging out of the hood of musclecars. Drastic power at the low end...extremely reliable and require little maintenance. For extreme drag racing applications and towing...and see often on show vehicles.

Screw type- derived from roots type and typically for street use. Twin screw design that compresses air unlike Roots type which pumps air into the motor. Has an axial-flow design that compresses air and makes it flow between the two screws without creating the heat that the roots type creates. A good choice for heavy vehicles, towing and commercial use. (this is the type that Jackson Racing uses, as well as Ford and some others)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
M3Inline6 said:

Pretty detailed response, but there is a slight difference in Roots type blowers, centrifugal, and screw type blowers. In a nutshell:

centrifugal- compresses air using an impeller, then discharges using a scroll. Similar to turbo, but doesn't use exhaust gas...is driven by crank pulley. The most user-friendly way to SC a motor. Ability to change impeller size creates inexpensive ways to change power curve. Standard for street use and light racing duty and outsells the other 2 types. (Used on some fords....Vortec, RMS, ESS, etc)

Roots type- first type of SC made. Acts like an air pump, not a compressor, and have a 2 or 3 rotor design. Positive pressure at the crack of the throttle, and typically the ones you see hanging out of the hood of musclecars. Drastic power at the low end...extremely reliable and require little maintenance. For extreme drag racing applications and towing...and see often on show vehicles.

Screw type- derived from roots type and typically for street use. Twin screw design that compresses air unlike Roots type which pumps air into the motor. Has an axial-flow design that compresses air and makes it flow between the two screws without creating the heat that the roots type creates. A good choice for heavy vehicles, towing and commercial use. (this is the type that Jackson Racing uses, as well as Ford and some others)
Very nice :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Can you explain why it is so hard to put a turbo on an E46 as well by any chance?? Thanx for the reply man!! :thumbup: :D

·
unregistered user
793 Posts
Turbos have to be mounted as close to the exhaust ports as possible to take advantage of the exhaust while it is still very hot and expanded. (hot gasses have more volume than cold ones) On E46s there isnt really much room to mount a turbo becuase of the spcase issues. The engine is slanted toward the passenger side. Turbos must have a special exhaust header with a flange to bolt on the turbo. Then a normal exhaust pipe routes the exhaust out from there. Then figure you must also have a intercooler (like a radiator for the intake air charge) to cool the compressed intake air to make it more dense, which basically means you can get more fuel/air mixture into the engine since cold air takes up less volume than hot air. This is also done because as you compress air you heat it up. Now you have to tune the engine software to know what to do with all this. Also, you should probably consider beefing up your engine and installing new cams and i would say lower compression pistons otherwise you WILL blow head gaskets. Other engine mods are necessary too: larger throttle body, port the head and intake & larger injectors. And of course, you not only have to make all this fit: the turbo, intercooler, air piping, exhaust piping you will have one hell of a mess if you don't do it neatly. Thats the major problems as I see it. Thats why (Kromex i think??) is going to sell his plans when he gets his car done becasue hes has tons of time invested in just figuring out dimensions and mounting of all this to make it look smooth as well as functional. It will save whoever else wants this setup time and $$$. Turbos can be a b**** to get setup, but they can make massive power.

I've built a few chevy engines for my chevelle, and my next project is going to be a twin turbo. Nice thing about this is all the parts are easy to get and I have plenty of room under the hood. My dad also has a shop so we have a place to do it. You have to really want it bad to get your e46 turbo'd because with all the stuff on the engine you have to mod and all the R&D you will be looking at big time $$$$ spent. But, if done right you WILL HAVE the most badass E46 on the planet. Trust me. Thats why Kromex is doing this- Having the most badass car is worth all the $$ spent!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,172 Posts
1 - 20 of 65 Posts