BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone beside HPF that makes a turbo for the S54? I love the cars that HPF makes, I was just wondering if anyone else has tackled the task of turboing the s54.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AA but only a custom job
Yeah, that's kind of what I was asking. So, AA is the only other? Does anyone know if Evosport has done one? AEM programming is what has to be used on a project like this right?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
We did it with a the factory DME still running and making 470rwhp on 10psi.

Now in the process of doing a built motor and more boost.

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Savspeed, situated in South Africa... only prob is i only know of RHD kits from them.
Yeugh!! Don't mention the war.. I as looking at an E30 they butchered a few days ago.. I don't think their kit bears mentioning.. also their E46 turbo sits where the aircon pump is so 600Hp but NO AIRCON which is pretty crappy for South Africa

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeugh!! Don't mention the war.. I as looking at an E30 they butchered a few days ago.. I don't think their kit bears mentioning.. also their E46 turbo sits where the aircon pump is so 600Hp but NO AIRCON which is pretty crappy for South Africa
yeah that is pretty screwed up, i see with his kit he is not using stock internals whereas HPF is, with a fairly decent amount of power. So is his conversion better suited for daily driving (except no aircon ofcourse lol) or is he just not as "gifted" as HPF

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
yeah that is pretty screwed up, i see with his kit he is not using stock internals whereas HPF is, with a fairly decent amount of power. So is his conversion better suited for daily driving (except no aircon ofcourse lol) or is he just not as "gifted" as HPF
No at all. Savspeed just have issues with a steering column in the way. I know exactly how they feel. We got our turbo down below the steering column and still above the underbody covers so you can still put the OEM underbody covers and bracing back on (HPF didn't even do this. Which it suprising cause LHD has even more room to play with). But it would of been sooooo much easier ripping out the aircon. Not that we would do that to an M3. Still need some comfort.

Savspeed have made a pretty good kit to come out of South Africa though. And it has been sold to other RHD countries already.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Savspeed have made a pretty good kit to come out of South Africa though. And it has been sold to other RHD countries already.
Good not great and certainly not pretty... Also bare in mind that there's no shortage of car manufacturing quality here... we make the noble and most of the worlds Right Hand drive Bimmers so production quality is good and SA has always had a culture of high quality manufacture.... not cheap but very good quality.

To be fair to the RG's and SAV's of the world I think the problem boils down to R&D budgets... HPF, AA, VF and crew have the whole of North America as a basic client base (excluding shipping O.S.) so that allows a lot of feedback on kits and allows them to spend way more on developing the kits. In South Africa you are talking about a VERY small % of a much smaller country that could even dream of these sorts of kits, maybe a dozen people of so, so the R&D is definitely not as good as US, Euro or Aus.

Respect to SAV for actually building the kit and getting it running.. but I've seen the article on the UK kit they did (Performance BMW) and I've seen other cars they've worked on and the results are NOT pretty... certainly nowhere near as classy as the AA charger I have or the HPF kits I've seen on the forums... their work has a kind of back yard manufactured look to it... not saying it doesn't work, just saying I wouldn't want my M3 looking, sounding or running like that. There also seems to be too much focus here on power without safety... seen a number of vehicles boasting outrageous HP with barely any work done to Suspensions or Brakes.... very very silly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
seen a number of vehicles boasting outrageous HP with barely any work done to Suspensions or Brakes.... very very silly.
couldnt agree more, minor suspension mods mean nothing when boasting that amount of HP. With that said i respect the path you picked... you have one sick sick car man.

tell me that HPF titanium exhuast you have, are you running that with your SC, if so... more vids!!:excited: and if not more vids anyway!!:bow:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thanks dude :thumbsup:

I really do love my Jezebel....

The exhaust is off at the moment, however she is getting a supersprint de-cat pipe and when that happens I'll put the HPF exhaust on again for some vids... it's too hectic for everyday use so I'll just put it on for fun for a bit.

Vids will come soon enough, just waiting for good enough weather to crank it up a bit.. last thing I want is the You tube vid of how Jezebel ended up in a ditch :(

[email protected]!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Good not great and certainly not pretty... Also bare in mind that there's no shortage of car manufacturing quality here... we make the noble and most of the worlds Right Hand drive Bimmers so production quality is good and SA has always had a culture of high quality manufacture.... not cheap but very good quality.

To be fair to the RG's and SAV's of the world I think the problem boils down to R&D budgets... HPF, AA, VF and crew have the whole of North America as a basic client base (excluding shipping O.S.) so that allows a lot of feedback on kits and allows them to spend way more on developing the kits. In South Africa you are talking about a VERY small % of a much smaller country that could even dream of these sorts of kits, maybe a dozen people of so, so the R&D is definitely not as good as US, Euro or Aus.

Respect to SAV for actually building the kit and getting it running.. but I've seen the article on the UK kit they did (Performance BMW) and I've seen other cars they've worked on and the results are NOT pretty... certainly nowhere near as classy as the AA charger I have or the HPF kits I've seen on the forums... their work has a kind of back yard manufactured look to it... not saying it doesn't work, just saying I wouldn't want my M3 looking, sounding or running like that. There also seems to be too much focus here on power without safety... seen a number of vehicles boasting outrageous HP with barely any work done to Suspensions or Brakes.... very very silly.
Trust me Australia has the same problem. Not a big market at all. Don't have the numbers of people that the big countries do. Also when it comes to these cars very little numbers are sold here. Till the last couple of years it was like 3,500 BMW's (that's every model) sold Australia wide (I think it's up to 6,500 now). So you can imagine the little number of M3's that were sold.

·
me
9,992 Posts
Trust me Australia has the same problem. Not a big market at all. Don't have the numbers of people that the big countries do. Also when it comes to these cars very little numbers are sold here. Till the last couple of years it was like 3,500 BMW's (that's every model) sold Australia wide (I think it's up to 6,500 now). So you can imagine the little number of M3's that were sold.
Latest BMW Australia magazine put 2007 sales for AU @ 17,197 units. Jan - March 2008 sales are at 4,174

·
Registered
878 Posts
that is just crammed in there.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Oh man that engine looks like a dog's breakfast... I've read some pretty Scathing reviews of DA.. wonder if they will actually get that car running?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts