BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ILCUTAWOOTIE
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i blow my tranny with a turbo or sc on my car? i have a step...and i think i just read a post of someone blowing their steptronic cause it was pushing too much power...anyway, im just confused. Thx
-ALex

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
something like 'you are asking for trouble after 270 ft lbs torque on a steptronic' i heard that somewhere on these boards, but cant remember. but yeah, steps cant hold as much as a manual tranny.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Lexie330ci said:
can i blow my tranny with a turbo or sc on my car? i have a step...and i think i just read a post of someone blowing their steptronic cause it was pushing too much power...anyway, im just confused. Thx
-ALex
Hmm, can you please post the link to this post?? I never seen any post of the kind of someone blowing up their Steptronic with aftermarket engine mods :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Lexie330ci said:
-ALex
Not if you do it right. There are a whole lot of people on this board who have supercharged there step E46's without a problem.

·
ILCUTAWOOTIE
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
werd

ytheres a guy on thsi forum with a step pushing 345...he said he owns m3s too...i dont understand why we cant put so much torque on our cars? blah, anyone with some good input? thx guys
-ALex

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Re: Re: turbo on a steptronic?

Never heard of that. This has been talked about for a while. The step can handle it I believe up to around 270-290HP/Torque. Talk with Samir over at Rennsport, he has the details and has talked to the manufacturer.

This is from one of my old posts:

Review the archives, I posted info the the GM tranny website. Here I found it. The tranny is capable of handling a supercharger and here is your proof:

" http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowe...s/5l40_main.htm NOTE THE 325/330 uses a ZF tranny but has similar specifications

Maximum Engine Torque:
280 lb (380 Nm)

Maximum Gearbox Torque:
494 lb (670 Nm)

So you tell me if the tranny isn't capable of handling the engine torque of the current SC's out there for the e46. Looks like it to me. Heat has been addressed in the e46 that's why there's a tranny fluid cooler."

Also see this interesting thread with some info I posted on the tranny:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50984&highlight=transmission

The trick would be to change to tranny fluid per according to a temperature scale. Obviously a supercharger would create more heat.

Check the life of your tranny fluid. This is of course when the tranny is up to normal operating temperatures. Driving for 15 minutes and idle for about 3minutes will bring it to normal operating temps (more information I posted). Basically if you drive Miss Daisy, you will get 100k miles from the tranny fluid BUT this is not based on BMW data which I have not seen:

"The approximate life expectancy at various temperatures is as follows:

175°F 100,000 miles
195°F 50,000 miles
212°F 25,000 miles
235°F 12,000 miles
255°F 6,250 miles
275°F 3,000 miles
295°F 1,500 miles
315°F 750 miles
335°F 325 miles
355°F 160 miles
375°F 80 miles
390°F 40 miles
415°F Less than 30 minutes

This information clearly shows why transmission oil coolers and the various maintenance intervals are recommended for severe usage.

Above 300°F, the metals inside the transmission will warp and distort in varying degrees depending on the severity of overheat. Because this damage occurs and fluid life is so seriously impaired, rocking out of snow, mud or sand should never exceed a very few minutes."

NickACS said:

Hmm, can you please post the link to this post?? I never seen any post of the kind of someone blowing up their Steptronic with aftermarket engine mods :confused:

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts