E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate help on this one. Trunk will not open with key fob or button under dash. Will open manually. I checked the fuse (#52) - is ok. Lock is not in valet mode... I looked at the trunk wires between the trunk and the body - look fine. Pulled off control unit in trunk - also looked ok. I am stumped!! I have had no problems until 2 days ago. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks !!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had this problem and got my GM5 module repaired and it fixed the problem. It looks like you have looked at all of the common issues from what I understand. Do your locks work fine?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,034 Posts
The wires going to the trunk might look fine from the outside, but I can almost guarantee you that at least one isn't.

Check my elephant trunk thread...

The cribs are lower the boot into the trunk (cut ziptie inside trunk)

When you get boot down all the way down, then start yanking apart wires. Your break will be inside your insulation and otherwise not visible. The wires that break need to be inline spliced, soldered, shrink tubed.

Check all the wires. When one is gone, there will be others going. You can speed things up a bit, I suppose, by yanking the color coded wires for your trunk latch, though it might be a ground (brown) wire too.

Keep track of the ground wires as one is a different thickness...just fyi.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,034 Posts
I was right? LOL

Okay...it's going in the record books! Glad to hear you averted expensive gm5 issues!

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,034 Posts
I know, right! Still, though. One helpful post out of 18, 246 posts is pretty good by Fanatic's standards, don't you think? :lmao:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Lock-Fixes

Damn, this is why i love you E46fanatics family. I'm also having issues with my trunk not opening with key fob or from trunk switch underneath dashboard on driverside kick panel. I will definitely try these options mentioned. Thank you family...

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,034 Posts
^ ...and you'll save hundreds by not going to the dealer
I've easily saved thousands.

But, I should say that I like my dealer, mostly for parts, but they've been good to me the few times I've brought it into them for service. And, if you know what you're talking about, you stand a much better chance getting a fair shake at any shop, dealer or otherwise.

It helps having a clue about parts prices, 'book time' vs. real time, necessary maintenance items vs. 'nice to do while you're there' items.

Get informed...profit...get chicks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts