BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that big of a deal but i would like to have it fixed if it is DIYable or cheap. I have a 1999 328i sedan (pre-facelift) if that helps.

The button on the key still works its just the button under the dash that doesnt work.
Nothing else is wrong with the car

Could it be a fuse? or a loose connection? Im not good at all with electrical so I have no idea.
Help would be appreciated

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Not that big of a deal but i would like to have it fixed if it is DIYable or cheap. I have a 1999 328i sedan (pre-facelift) if that helps.

The button on the key still works its just the button under the dash that doesnt work.
Nothing else is wrong with the car

Could it be a fuse? or a loose connection? Im not good at all with electrical so I have no idea.
Help would be appreciated
Is the key hole on your trunk horizontal? If it is, rotate it counter-clockwise so that it's vertical. Button should work fine then.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Dude, your trunk is double locked. If the slot in the keyhole on your trunk lid is horizontal then you can't open the trunk with the button under the dash. Its a security feature. Stick your key in there and turn it counter clockwise and remove key before trying the button again. Let me know if that helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
first check if your trunk is in valet mode (horizontal). if not, then perhaps the plug which connects to the key cylinder in the trunk got loose. if that is not connected, the key fob and push button on the trunk handle will still work.. but the button under the dash will not.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Im curious, where is the button under your dash?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im curious, where is the button under your dash?
It's on the driver side near the door (kinda by hood release lever)

It was in valet mode. Thanks fanatics. I just don't know who put it like that. It used to work fine. Mustve been my mom messin with my car haha.

Btw I'm only 16 so no living with your mom jokes and I bought my e46 with my own money so no spoiled rich kid jokes either

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem. I checked the trunk lock and it is horizontal. The problem is that I can't turn it counter clockwise in order to disable the valet mode. It is blocked in this position. If I turn it clockwise, the trunk will open. Can someone help me out here please? Thx

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
I have the same problem. I checked the trunk lock and it is horizontal. The problem is that I can't turn it counter clockwise in order to disable the valet mode. It is blocked in this position. If I turn it clockwise, the trunk will open. Can someone help me out here please? Thx
Turn the lock so the key is vertical, then pull the key out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Turn the lock so the key is vertical, then pull the key out.
Convertible key holes are always horizontal. The valet mode is engaged by locking the glove box, not by turning the lock to vertical. You need to make sure your glove box and doors are unlocked. If that doesn't work inspect the wires in the sleeve between the trunk lid and the body for breaks.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
My convertible (an E36, so there is a certain apples-and-oranges quality to the comparison) has a horizontal position where the lock does not respond to the central locking system. The glove box has a lock, too, but it doesn't talk to the trunk.

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
The younger kids on this forum wonder why we give them a hard time about their age when they are the ones who always tell us how old they aren't. The only people who mention their age are all younger than 18. You'll notice it if you haven't.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts