E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a CF M3 stlyle trunk lip spoiler. Attaches with the 3M tape that is on it already. If anyone installed one this way, did you prepare the paint surface of the trunk lid in any special way to ensure really secure adhesion? Alchohol cleaning or something else??? :dunno:

·
Registered
31 Posts
rsjean said:
Just bought a CF M3 stlyle trunk lip spoiler. Attaches with the 3M tape that is on it already. If anyone installed one this way, did you prepare the paint surface of the trunk lid in any special way to ensure really secure adhesion? Alchohol cleaning or something else??? :dunno:
washing the area with dishwasing detergent would help to remove any wax that might still be on it.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good ideas...

I can call Classic Collision here in the Atlanta area. They are the shop United BMW (where I bought the car) uses for all their body and paint work. They are too expensive for off the street work - but could be great for advice. You know they are the kind of body shop with the wood and marble lobby and waiting rooms and audio video equipment for waiting customers and girls in the reception area that look like they just walked onto a Victoria's Secret fashion show runway :drool: They wanted $300 just to paint my trunk lid when I got a small (1/2") scrape. :yikes:

But I hope something as simple as the dishwashing liquid is good enough...

·
Registered
170 Posts
rsjean said:
I can call Classic Collision here in the Atlanta area. They are the shop United BMW (where I bought the car) uses for all their body and paint work. They are too expensive for off the street work - but could be great for advice. You know they are the kind of body shop with the wood and marble lobby and waiting rooms and audio video equipment for waiting customers and girls in the reception area that look like they just walked onto a Victoria's Secret fashion show runway :drool: They wanted $300 just to paint my trunk lid when I got a small (1/2") scrape. :yikes:

But I hope something as simple as the dishwashing liquid is good enough...
Denatured alcohol will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Denatured?

dme330i said:
Denatured alcohol will do the trick.
I know where to get isopropyl, but where do you get denatured? printing supply place?

BTW - killer sig!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.