BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trunk lid on my 2001 325cic is showing open when closed and closed when open. As a result, the convertible top will not operate since the lid is showing open. Any ideas as to why this is showing in reverse and what I might troubleshoot? Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
just received some useful information from AnnnaMot (Greg), about the issue...thanks alot

"well i went to the dealer/stiller and they wanted $300 for labor + parts , they insured me it was the lock that needed to be replace , i both it i repased it ,it wasnt it , all you have to do is open the cluster of wires on the trunk on the right side . when you open the trunk youll see the thik tubing with the wires inside jist open it and youll see its a dark green wire with red dots its cut just connect it back or do a jumper and it works . its very easy . if you need more help let me know.
GReg"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am familiar with the wiring harness you are talking about I believe. If you pull back the carpet on the wall on the right side you see it at the top. It runs to the battery. Correct? Are you saying to CUT the wire and then re-connect it? The dealer wanted me to bring it in and do their typical all over diagnostic and mentioned about 10 things that could be wrong. When they tell me that I know it is going to be pricey. Could it be the trunk sensor? It is really odd, most of the time it shows open on the dash when closed even when you pop the trunk. It will not show as closed on the dash until the lid is about 1/3 of the open. No matter what you try, it shows like this. Frustrating considering I cannot use the convertible top with this issue.

just received some useful information from AnnnaMot (Greg), about the issue...thanks alot

"well i went to the dealer/stiller and they wanted $300 for labor + parts , they insured me it was the lock that needed to be replace , i both it i repased it ,it wasnt it , all you have to do is open the cluster of wires on the trunk on the right side . when you open the trunk youll see the thik tubing with the wires inside jist open it and youll see its a dark green wire with red dots its cut just connect it back or do a jumper and it works . its very easy . if you need more help let me know.
GReg"

·
Registered
181 Posts
man, i still have this problem after a month and it is really frustrating now...I bought the car to my mechanic last week, he opened everything up and there were no broken wires or anything...have you found a solution yet? anyone else have the same problem as well?

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Pull the rubber boot back on the passenger side of the trunk, where the harness comes from the body to the trunk lid. Open the wiring up you will find some broken wires make sure to lengthened and spect the wires so it doesn't tear your preair also use crimps with heat shrink, Take your time it takes about 2-3 hours to do properly and spacing the crimps so they don't rub or tear!

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
man, i still have this problem after a month and it is really frustrating now...I bought the car to my mechanic last week, he opened everything up and there were no broken wires or anything...have you found a solution yet? anyone else have the same problem as well?
Hopefully he looked in the right spot. He should also be able to hook up the GT1 and look at the trunk switch and see if it is doing its job.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
AznGuilty said:

GReg"
Based on the bold-faced part, I'm assuming the wires are already cut, and that's what's causing the problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pull the rubber boot back on the passenger side of the trunk, where the harness comes from the body to the trunk lid. Open the wiring up you will find some broken wires make sure to lengthened and spect the wires so it doesn't tear your preair also use crimps with heat shrink, Take your time it takes about 2-3 hours to do properly and spacing the crimps so they don't rub or tear!

many thanks to jbeaurotech, we found a solution to the problem, a bunch of broken wires :bow:

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
No problem glad its fixed!! sometimes people look at the wrong spot. Take some pics so people can see exactly where this happens!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Seth, I know ur a tech...

Dealership I work at we've replaced plenty of the grip strips on the trunk of E46's...

any say on that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Old thread and I have this very same problem. I opened up the bunch of wires on the right side, but they are all intact. How do I take the carpeting off the trunk lid so I can see further along if the wires are intact?

Thanks ! I can't get the stupid convertible top down now :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts