E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I was repairing a ground for the trunk mounted tail lights. In order to do so I had to disconnect all the wiring in the trunk lid. I struggled with the connector that attaches to the lock cylinder and fear I could have damaged something.

Now that I have put it all back together neither the "touch pad" trunk handle or the interior trunk button work. Any idea what could be wrong? How do you remove the lock cylinder assembly so I can completely inspect it?

Thanks in advance for all constructive responses.

· Registered
334 Posts
This is stupid, but, it got me for a while, had the key position of the trunk lock in the WRONG position? One of the positions locks it out, another allows it to open. I did not know, I am sure it is detailed in the manual somewhere?

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is stupid, but, it got me for a while, had the key position of the trunk lock in the WRONG position? One of the positions locks it out, another allows it to open. I did not know, I am sure it is detailed in the manual somewhere?
checked this too. problem persists.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

- All connectors are properly installed.
- Confirmed car is not in "valet mode."
- Remote unlocking and key turned left DO WORK.
- Button above hood latch and "touchpad" above license plate DO NOT WORK.

· Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
29,213 Posts
Search "elephant trunk" in thread title. See my thread. Your problem will be inside there...and it was probably there causing the issue requiring you to add a ground, too.

Note...you can't just 'look' at the wires inside the rubber boot (elephant trunk) going into your trunk...you need to yank the wires apart to find the breaks...they'll be internal to the insulation in most cases. Also, you don't need to cut open the boot...you lower it into the trunk by first cutting the ziptie at the bottom of it...which you'll see inside the trunk. GL...hth...it should...99% sure about this.

· Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
29,213 Posts
Well, I suppose I could be wrong...it would be a coincidence. On second thought, too, it could be that you disconnected the lock cylinder while the car was powered and it got upset, thinking someone was trying to steal it and it locked you out...maybe if you'd turned the lock cylinder to the left (maybe right) as in it's in valet mode. Might be that. And it might be that two connectors were identical and you plugged them into the wrong place.

But, now I think you just need to use your keyfob/master key and turn the lock cylinder vertical. You're welcome!

· Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
29,213 Posts
Hmmm? No 'thank you, dmax'? I guess I must have gotten it, huh? Your lock cylinder was just turned horizontally instead of vertically and you are too embarrassed to admit that you didn't check your owner's manual to learn that? It's okay...not so bad by fanatics' standards...but if you admit it and let us troll you for a bit, all will be good!

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm? No 'thank you, dmax'? I guess I must have gotten it, huh? Your lock cylinder was just turned horizontally instead of vertically and you are too embarrassed to admit that you didn't check your owner's manual to learn that? It's okay...not so bad by fanatics' standards...but if you admit it and let us troll you for a bit, all will be good!
THANKS DMAX. I've been out of town for a few days and hadn't logged in to view your response until now. As confirmed further up in the thread the car is not in valet mode. It appears this must be a wiring issue as your suspected. I am a electrical novice and was hoping this was not the case.

I am very sorry that I was not able to show my gratitude in what you considered to be a timely manner. There was no disrespect intended.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.