BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was hoping to get some advice, I'm having quite a bit of trouble right now - currently doing SSK, clutch, and flywheel on my 2003 6spd 330xi and I cannot for the life of me get off one of the top bell housing bolts. I've already taken off the transfer case. Facing towards the front of the car, the bolt is on the top right of the bell housing and is an E14. It's visible from underneath the car. I am able to reach it physically but the bolt is so close to the transmission tunnel that I can't even get an E14 u-joint socket on it without the socket hitting the tunnel wall.

I've tried jacking up the front of the oil pan with a wood block and I removed the cooling fan, but I can't get the engine/trans to tilt enough to make the bolt more accessible, it just won't tilt beyond a certain point. I also have the front subframe bolts loosened quite a bit and the top engine mount nuts removed.

I found another E14 u-joint socket online that is quite a bit smaller, and that may in fact work, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Really appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Drop the crossmember (support the rear with a jack) and jack up the front. Definitely use 3/8" tools here (not 1/2"). Some combination of extensions and a wobble joint will help. A u-joint will probably be too bulky. I think I used a 2-3' extension, wobble, and then one or two 3" ones to give some flexibility. Impact tools will be useless. The HF impact e-torx sockets were generally small enough to fit, but non-impact ones will be smaller. I think you can get wobble extensions at HF, but I got mine (1-1.5") from S-K (which you can find on Amazon).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will definitely try again after getting some more extensions, could be that I'm not getting a good enough angle on the bolt. Also gonna try a 1/4" drive short u-joint E14. Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll have some better luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ok, here's how I go about these:
1) unbolt the transfer case/trans mount supports, loosen bottom engine mount bolts. With some support underneath, the drive train will tilt down some to improve access.
2) you might be able to access in 2 ways, 1. wrench from top side(depending), tough though or 2. impact grade torx bit(snap-on or the like), swivels, and extensions.
3) If your at #2 , once the socket is on, give it a tap with a sledge on the end to break loose some of corrosion the threads. You'll probably need a breaker bar to get it loose. Not uncommon to break a swivel joint, have extra handy.
I never touch the subframe or cross member. The above has never failed me over the decades. Best of luck with it.
regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts