BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next BMW M3 F30 will have three turbos - Confirmed
Get ready for a boom in M cars. The boss of BMW’s M Division, Dr Friedrich Nitschke, has confirmed that a raft of new models wearing the famous badge is on the way – with the M2 to be joined by a powerful M3 and a successor to the M1 supercar.

“Our pace of development must accelerate,” he told Auto Express in an exclusive interview. “We can build more cars, and we can build a wider range of cars.”

The new flagship 3 Series is due in 2014, and will feature a fresh 3.3-litre six-cylinder engine. This is set to get three turbos – one powered by electricity, rather than the exhaust gases – and is rumoured to offer 450bhp. A mix of steel and ultra-light carbon fibre-reinforced plastic in the body will help deliver huge pace.

But as Nitschke revealed, the car will also be efficient. “There will be a bigger focus on very low fuel consumption,” he said. “The new M3 will prove this.” However, this more eco-friendly approach won’t dilute the M Division’s high-performance appeal – as a replacement for the M1 supercar is finally coming close to reality.

This has been on the drawing board for more than 11 years, but only now does technology allow it to deliver the pace drivers would demand. “We have a fantastic history with the M1,” Dr Nitschke said. “The decision on developing this car is open. We’d love to do it.”

There’s no word on engines – but it would need a V10 or V12 to compete with rivals from Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Ferrari. If the project gets the green light, it’s unlikely to arrive before 2016.

The company is also looking at a successor to the ‘breadvan’ – the Nineties Z3M Coupe. “There’s no decision on an M version of the Z4,” added Dr Nitschke, “but this is something we could do easily.”

In addition, he spelled out a keenness for the M Division to “increase the speed with which we launch new models”. A lighter ‘CSL’ version of the new 1 Series M Coupe is on the cards, which could take cues from 2007’s tii concept.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/269830/new_m3_leads_m_car_boom.html#ixzz1RWTWDwBZ

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
triple turbo technology sounds intriguing, but I think this is the worst looking m3 to date. Looks too much like the butt-ugly new 650i

·
Registered
103,522 Posts
Electric turbo, eh? Sounds like they're trying to get rid of turbo lag, but that's just one more part that can fail. :/

·
Registered
266 Posts
The electric turbo is just to eliminate the linear power band and bring back the M'ness to the cars. Just think of whats going to be said when a supra pulls up to u at the lights , Whats the retail on one of those ?, More than u can afford pal? Tri-Turbo , Passenger In Supra: Smoke em

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
looks like a 7 from the front.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks alright. Tri Turbo...well I'm curious to see how they do. The car better not feel like driving a boat, that's my only concern. 3 series have blown up too much, they're too big. I'm leaning towards the 7 series comments from the looks. With that said though, the Front view has more personality which is nice. I also will have to see one in person. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Never heard of 3 turbos... good post.
Its just like having a normal twin turbo setup , except the old setup had it set up so that there is very little lag which left the top end power just to disappear. Now if it works it will have the top-end power like a normal turbo'd car without the lagg. So more top-end power :p

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
thats so cool :eeps:

·
Registered
522 Posts
The electric turbo is just to eliminate the linear power band and bring back the M'ness to the cars. Just think of whats going to be said when a supra pulls up to u at the lights , Whats the retail on one of those ?, More than u can afford pal? Tri-Turbo , Passenger In Supra: Smoke em
:lmao:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think this is exciting. I'm not sure about the looks but then again I don't think that this will be the end result, so I wont do any judging until I see it parked a few feet away. Tri-turbo is a technology that is supposed to do what Audi's Supercharged - Turbocharger technology does. Eliminate lag and provide a more steady power band with higher overall output...

If you are buying an M3 for strictly straight line performance, to compete with Supras you are obviously missing the entire point of this car and set up. Also missing the point of having an extremely high performance cornering/track going car.
You seem like the kind of person that belongs inside of one of those hideous Dodge Chargers/Challengers that are only good in a straight line, if that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you are buying an M3 for strictly straight line performance, to compete with Supras you are obviously missing the entire point of this car and set up. Also missing the point of having an extremely high performance cornering/track going car.
You seem like the kind of person that belongs inside of one of those hideous Dodge Chargers/Challengers that are only good in a straight line, if that.
Pretty sure he wasnt being serious with that remark.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts