BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change my trim this weekend from the wood to the aluminum color, and I had a question. I've already seen three DIY's for it, so I know what I'm doing, but the question is for the console/center piece.

All the DIY's that are up are for manual only. For the automatic console there is an extra plate around the boot that shows you which gear you're in, R,D,N,P...etc. Does that affect the way you remove that center piece? Because of that am I forced to remove the shifter and boot before continuing? That could complicate things a bit..anybody who's done this already please let me know:yikes:

·
Registered
222 Posts
2001BMW330xi said:
For the automatic console there is an extra plate around the boot that shows you which gear you're in, R,D,N,P...etc. Does that affect the way you remove that center piece? Because of that am I forced to remove the shifter and boot before continuing? That could complicate things a bit..anybody who's done this already please let me know:yikes:
It is pretty easy. Squeeze the grip on the selector and pull straight up. It takes a good bit of force and you'll probably either hit your nose or the rear view mirror with the shifter in your hand :D. Then gently tug on the boot and the boot and the surround with the geari indicator will slide up the shifter stem. You'll probably need to disconnect the cable that connects to the lights. Now you'll see two Phillips screws that were hidden under the surround, toward the cupholders. Unscrew those screws and tilt the wood trim up, lifting from the cupholder side and tilting it toward the climate controls. You'll see more cables for the window switches, etc. which you'll also need to unplug.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts