E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i was wondering i see all these e46 videos and bmw videos of guys doing 360's from a stand still spot or drifting into turns or whatever.
Now i have an all wheel drive 330xi is there anything tight i can do, cuz obviously i cant burnout ffrom one spot cuz its all wheel drive but what can my car do due to its all wheel drive capability

or are u guys going to say if i wanted to burnout and drift i shouldnt have gotten an all wheel drive car;)

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,612 Posts
futurebmw330ci said:

or are u guys going to say if i wanted to burnout and drift i shouldnt have gotten an all wheel drive car;)
:thumbup:

all wheel drive is meant to avoid drifts...

You can always do a nice ebrake slide... Chances are, though, if you have to ask this kind of question, you shouldn't be trying those maneuvers.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,467 Posts
awd means you should be able to do some drifts, you just need wet roads or slick surface and some skill so you dont put yourself into a tree. my friend does stuff like that with his audi 1.8t so its not impossible

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dalton said:
awd means you should be able to do some drifts, you just need wet roads or slick surface and some skill so you dont put yourself into a tree. my friend does stuff like that with his audi 1.8t so its not impossible
Yeah, I have a lot of time driving Quattos and I agree with what you are saying. A Quattro with similar power to the M3 simply puts it down. In the snow for example, the traction (with good snow tires) is so good that you can get too fast for your braking capability very quickly.

Quattros will drift in the dry. I've never driven an AWD E46, but shouldn't it be similar? Anytime you are cornering near the limit, you are going to drift out (all four wheels assuming neutral handling and no electronic intervention) when you add enough power. It isn't nearly as fun as RWD, but you find that adding too much power increases the radius of your turn because you are drifting. The fun factor of RWD is one of the reasons I prefer the M3 and M5 to the S4 and RS6.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,359 Posts
Roy said:

Yeah, I have a lot of time driving Quattos and I agree with what you are saying. A Quattro with similar power to the M3 simply puts it down. In the snow for example, the traction (with good snow tires) is so good that you can get too fast for your braking capability very quickly.

Quattros will drift in the dry. I've never driven an AWD E46, but shouldn't it be similar? Anytime you are cornering near the limit, you are going to drift out (all four wheels assuming neutral handling and no electronic intervention) when you add enough power. It isn't nearly as fun as RWD, but you find that adding too much power increases the radius of your turn because you are drifting. The fun factor of RWD is one of the reasons I prefer the M3 and M5 to the S4 and RS6.
The AWD E46 understeers like a pig. You CANNOT disable all of the invasive electronics.

If you disable the ABS system, you can get some oversteer... (Taking out ABS takes out ADB-X) But there are obvious and serious hazards if you do this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

The AWD E46 understeers like a pig. You CANNOT disable all of the invasive electronics.

If you disable the ABS system, you can get some oversteer... (Taking out ABS takes out ADB-X) But there are obvious and serious hazards if you do this.
Interesting. Have you played with it in the snow much. Does it start to oversteer if you disable ABS and lift the throttle in a corner?

·
BMW Land Barge
1,359 Posts
Roy said:

Interesting. Have you played with it in the snow much. Does it start to oversteer if you disable ABS and lift the throttle in a corner?
Lift off oversteer is almost impossible, even in the snow, unless your suspension is in similar condition to mine. (Badly worn rear shocks, and probably cracked rear shock mounts. I have replacement parts on order, but until then...) ABS has NO influence whatsoever on lift-off oversteer. However, I have done a couple of autocross runs with ABS off, and the tail comes around pretty nicely under power. The problem with the car is that any time you start getting wheelspin, the brakes come on.

Trail braking is an absolute MUST for the xi. It does NOT want to rotate otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.