E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1.888.JLEVISW
Joined
·
29,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the OEM Continental ContiTouring wheels and was wondering where the tread bar is on the tire...I am not sure if I have a lot of tread left. Is the tread bar the outer rubber things that are almost on the sidewall or what? I did the penny thing that Tire Rack suggests but I am just wondering where the tread wear bar is on these tires...On the front tires, the side things that I am talking about are all but gone, on the rear, they are only half way gone...BTW I have 8500 on the car...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Wear bars are always located on the tire where it has the most contact with the road, i.e. near the center extending all the way to both ends of the tires. The pics don't help too much, so I can't really give you an answer. If you have actual thread left and the tire isn't bald, you're ok, but your wet grip is minimal.

Hope that made some sense.
 

·
1.888.JLEVISW
Joined
·
29,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
330iGt said:
Wear bars are always located on the tire where it has the most contact with the road, i.e. near the center extending all the way to both ends of the tires. The pics don't help too much, so I can't really give you an answer. If you have actual thread left and the tire isn't bald, you're ok, but your wet grip is minimal.

Hope that made some sense.
Judging from the pics I gave, do you think I need to replace my tires or should I wait a little bit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
BMWERKEN said:


Judging from the pics I gave, do you think I need to replace my tires or should I wait a little bit?
It's pretty hard to give a good answer, but the center of the tire looks pretty worn down. Think of thread as traction, do you feel that there is enough thread to make you stop in an emergency or not hydroplane in the rain. Can you even fit a penny in one of the center threads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
I did put a penny in the treads and most of Lincoln's hair was covered...that is for the fronts, for the rears even more was covered...
Weird... the rears should run out faster. If Lincoln;'s hair was covered, then you left with about 15-25% at most, depending on tire. I'd probably would change them within the next 1000-2000 miles. I'm just speculating, since there isn't enough info to judge.

Just FYI, the part that's worn down the most, measure from there. The sides of the tires usually have more thread left, so measure accordingly.

P.S. I agree with you on your stance with drugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Your tires are fine and by the way it is tread not thread ( the spelling on this board is atrocious.) look in the grooves on the surface of the tire, you will see little bumps that extend across the tread in the bottom of the grooves. when those touch the road you must get new tires. if you wanna get anal get them sooner. By the way you should rotate them now!
 

·
1.888.JLEVISW
Joined
·
29,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mikemartin9 said:
Your tires are fine and by the way it is tread not thread ( the spelling on this board is atrocious.) look in the grooves on the surface of the tire, you will see little bumps that extend across the tread in the bottom of the grooves. when those touch the road you must get new tires. if you wanna get anal get them sooner. By the way you should rotate them now!
BMW says not to rotate the tires though...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top