BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this happen to them?

I took Rex (my M3) through the carwash and the thin strip of plastic (between the door and the roof? I'm not sure what it's called but it's painted the same color as the roof and it's about a 1/2 inch thick) just plain got ripped off. I mean, they say that there's risk of your antenna, aftermarket parts, etc. being ripped off... Oh my lord...

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,759 Posts
I know the part you are talking about....that sucks....but I have to ask why you were taking your car to a car wash at all.

Tim

·
Banned
775 Posts
why car wash is no good for beemers?... Personally i wash my car by hand. But that's because i just like making my car shine, but is there something wrong with taking it to a car wash? so that i will not do that in the futur?

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
you are taking a chance

of geting your car scratch. in car wash or by the people who try the car leaning into your car to reach all of the area's. also when they try the glass they always get the wax on the glass so
your windshield is never clean.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never ...I repeat..NEVER take your car...especially your M3 to a car wash. Those rotating brushes are absolutley dirty and will make fine scratches/swirls on your car. Why would you take your car into a car wash who recycles water? YUCK! If you absoluty have no time or are too lazy ...take it to a 100% HAND car wash...even then it is still risky. Washing your car once a week is no tough task. Takes me 45-1 hour to clean the car. Detailing it is another story...that usually takes me 6 hours. I once took my old car to a car wash only to find out at home that I got a little ding...I couldnt prove that the car wash people did it so I had to live with it. So please...do yourself and your beautiful car a favor and give it some tender loving. .....uhh..that sounded gay. Just wash it yourself!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've been taking my car to a local "touchless" car wash for the past 6 months and they wash it 2 times better than I do. No scratches, no swirls, anything, just clean. btw, it takes me about 2 hours to do it myself... now on pay $15 to have them vacuum, clean my chrome wheels, apply tire dressing, air freshener, etc.

I recommend it to those with busy schedules and and can't wash in their apartments.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Touchless car washes are necessary for some of us. Who the hell wants to hand wash a car in winter when its -30C?!?! I notice most of the anti-car-wash nazis are in places where snow doesn't exist. :) Besides that, a good reputable touchless wash is perfectly safe, and most times guaranteed not to mess up your ride. I had one touchless wash scratch the entire passenger side of my sedan, completely front to back and both rims, and the Esso stations owners insurance took care of it without a fight.

Bart

·
Banned
186 Posts
Kind of unrelated, but I took my old school player 1985 325e through a automatic wash at Chevron here in San Diego. My cd player is kind of wack, even when a cd plays, the old aluminum antenna stays up. Too bad I didn't know this until after the fact. I was chillin in the wash, watching the huge rubber scrubbers wash my car, and heard something snap in the back of my car. I thought it must have the mechanics of the actual machine. I pulled out, got on the freeway, and heard a ticking sound coming from my back left side. I look in my rearview and my antenna is completely snapped, hanging there scraping the crap out of my rear panel. It was connected by a thin white chord of some sort. I pulled over and ripped it off and payed 40 to get it replaced. I have since sold the little 85, and upgraded to a 00, and I will never again put any vehicle I own through that again. Wash the damn thing yourself. It is cheaper and way more satisfying.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The Rock said:
Touchless car washes are necessary for some of us. Who the hell wants to hand wash a car in winter when its -30C?!?! I notice most of the anti-car-wash nazis are in places where snow doesn't exist. :) Besides that, a good reputable touchless wash is perfectly safe, and most times guaranteed not to mess up your ride.
I agree. I get mine done every 2 weeks.

The only concern is when they take it in through the "touchless" machine to spray soap, water, wax, polish, I get worried because there is a possibility they could scratch the wheels.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Rock said:
Touchless car washes are necessary for some of us. Who the hell wants to hand wash a car in winter when its -30C?!?! I notice most of the anti-car-wash nazis are in places where snow doesn't exist. :) Besides that, a good reputable touchless wash is perfectly safe, and most times guaranteed not to mess up your ride. I had one touchless wash scratch the entire passenger side of my sedan, completely front to back and both rims, and the Esso stations owners insurance took care of it without a fight.

Bart

we're not car wash nazis....we have something calls garage....:flipoff: :flipoff:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The point is take the car to a reputable touchless/brushless car wash and you'll be fine. Don't take it to an automatic bristle car wash at the gas station, then you are asking for it.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Back to your topic at hand Meyli about that plastic strip, it isn't really held in place by anything more than a bit of glue and pressure so it might have just worked itself loose. Take it to the dealer and tell them it just came off and see if they will warranty it. Don't mention the car wash part and it should work :)

As for the good/bad of car washes, there are good and bad ones so I used to do a "walk-through" to check for low metal bars, etc that could scratch the car or rims. But nowadays my car is so low it's useless since it won't clear anything...haha

good luck,
rick

1 - 20 of 52 Posts