E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night as I went to leave Buffalos and head home. I got in and did my normal thing. I started the car, turned the DSC off and proceeded to pull out of my parking space only to suddenly stall out. I got mad, started it back up and tried to pull out again. I stalled a second time! I watched the tack this time and noticed that it went from 1,000-1,500 rpms straight down to 500 and then died. I tried a 3rd time with the same result. The forth time I reved to 2,000 rpms and slipped the clutch to keep from stalling.

So I was finally moving but it felt like someone tied the rear end to a parked car. I tried to cross traffic and the thing wouldn't go. The rpms slowly climed to 3k and 4k rpms but the car was only doing 20mph. I finally got to the center median and knew something serious was wrong. I waited for all the cars to go by before pulling into traffic. And again the car pulled like grandmother in a walker. I pulled into another parking lot and shut the car off. I got out and walked around trying to see or smell anything that may indicate the problem. But that turned up nothing. I re-cranked the car up and did another walk around. Poped the hood and listened for a second...Nothing. So I go back in and tried to drive off again. The same thing happened.

I drove the car all the way home because once the car got into 4th and 5th gear it seemed to be semi-alright. When I got off the interstate I stopped at the Kroger and called a friend to meet me and see if we could figure out what's wrong. I turned the car off and waited till he showed up. When he got there I tried to show him what was going on and suddenly everything was okay. It stopped. It completely stopped. I even drove it this morning and it felt fine. I know that there is something wrong for it to do that. It's not a normal thing. I'm only at 26,xxx miles and I know that the warrantee is going to be up shortly. I'm hoping that someone here know's what's going on and can help me. I'm gonna be taking the car in tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Em... now don't shrug this off... cause it's a possibility... and I'm not trying to make you look dumb.. but 2 things could have EASILY caused that...

Your parking brake did not completely release OR you were starting the car in 3rd, not 1st (i've done that once.. thought my car was dieing... then realized i was in the wrong gear... i could have SWORN i was in 1st!!.. at first i didn't believe i was in the wrong gear)

In any case, you didn't get any dash lights.. right? And the car is fine now... so I wouldn't worry about it unless the problem returns. If it does, take a closer look at what gear you are in.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the parking brake. And when I start the car I usually throw it into neutral, put my seatbelt on and then turn the DSC off. Your idea is valid and sounds reasonable. But I don't think I did that 4 times leaving the parking lot and everytime after that on the way home. Plus I would have caught that when I was shifting. IE: if I accidently did think 3rd was 1st gear then 5th would become 3rd and I would have really had a time getting 4th gear then. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No dash lights came on. Then only thing that was on was the yellow DSC symbol and the yellow 'brake' light. But those allways come on when I turn the DSC off.

Do I need to check the tranny fluid? :dunno: Better yet, how do I do that? :D

·
next mod: recaro child seat
1,876 Posts
Drag'nGT said:
No dash lights came on. Then only thing that was on was the yellow DSC symbol and the yellow 'brake' light. But those allways come on when I turn the DSC off.

Do I need to check the tranny fluid? :dunno: Better yet, how do I do that? :D
i really don't think this has ANYTHING to do with your trans or trans fluid. this sounds like an ECU issue.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Boy that really sounds like you were starting off in 3rd gear. I've done that before and that's exactly what it felt like. Can't explain why it wasn't noticed as you moved to fourth and 5th though.

Why don't you try starting in 3rd gear on purpose and see if the experience feels the same?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. Oddly enough I don't think it's the tranny either. I thought this was a really bad clutch problem, considering it didn't want to pull until over 3,500 rpms in the first 3 gears. However, when I was driving in 3rd gear at about 40 mph I droped it into 2nd it instantly grabbed and started pulling very nicely. That little 'test' makes me think that it isn't the tranny and something more serious.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went in this morning and the tenant told me that they wouldn't be able to fix the problem if the ECU light wasn't still on. I told him that the ECU should have recorded the problem and the you should be able to pull the code and that I wasn't leaving until he had it looked at. He seemed reluctant to work on it so I had to be insistant about it. Anyway, the diagnosis was that the intake cam sensor was faulty and was replaced under warrantee. Part #12141438081

And Garrett, I would search if I had known what the problem was. I can't do a search on the description of a problem. But once someone said the car had cam sensors and that could be the problem then that gives me a phrase to look up. Which I did. Thank you.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Drag'nGT said:
Last night as I went to leave Buffalos and head home. I got in and did my normal thing. I started the car, turned the DSC off and proceeded to pull out of my parking space only to suddenly stall out. I got mad, started it back up and tried to pull out again. I stalled a second time! I watched the tack this time and noticed that it went from 1,000-1,500 rpms straight down to 500 and then died. I tried a 3rd time with the same result. The forth time I reved to 2,000 rpms and slipped the clutch to keep from stalling.

So I was finally moving but it felt like someone tied the rear end to a parked car. I tried to cross traffic and the thing wouldn't go. The rpms slowly climed to 3k and 4k rpms but the car was only doing 20mph. I finally got to the center median and knew something serious was wrong. I waited for all the cars to go by before pulling into traffic. And again the car pulled like grandmother in a walker. I pulled into another parking lot and shut the car off. I got out and walked around trying to see or smell anything that may indicate the problem. But that turned up nothing. I re-cranked the car up and did another walk around. Poped the hood and listened for a second...Nothing. So I go back in and tried to drive off again. The same thing happened.

I drove the car all the way home because once the car got into 4th and 5th gear it seemed to be semi-alright. When I got off the interstate I stopped at the Kroger and called a friend to meet me and see if we could figure out what's wrong. I turned the car off and waited till he showed up. When he got there I tried to show him what was going on and suddenly everything was okay. It stopped. It completely stopped. I even drove it this morning and it felt fine. I know that there is something wrong for it to do that. It's not a normal thing. I'm only at 26,xxx miles and I know that the warrantee is going to be up shortly. I'm hoping that someone here know's what's going on and can help me. I'm gonna be taking the car in tomorrow morning.
Dude bring it in sounds like what i had mine happened to at 25k when you drive it feels sluggish and it feels like you pulling away ina high gear and doesnt wanna move?? thats what i had i wasa tranny problem bring it in... for mine it wasnt the whole tranny is was a box something small on the trans i forgot what the service guy sai. check you service manual and match the light...but bring it in it sounds like what i had

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drag'nGT said:
Went in this morning and the tenant told me that they wouldn't be able to fix the problem if the ECU light wasn't still on. I told him that the ECU should have recorded the problem and the you should be able to pull the code and that I wasn't leaving until he had it looked at. He seemed reluctant to work on it so I had to be insistant about it. Anyway, the diagnosis was that the intake cam sensor was faulty and was replaced under warrantee. Part #12141438081

And Garrett, I would search if I had known what the problem was. I can't do a search on the description of a problem. But once someone said the car had cam sensors and that could be the problem then that gives me a phrase to look up. Which I did. Thank you.
^^^^ I posted a follow up to let people know what it was. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Ever wonder if they say they fixed it and never really did anything?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.