BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

My car is 2000 BMW 323i with steptronic tranny. Just recently, i noticed a rattle coming from the transmission (i'm not 100% sure if it's from the tranny but i can hear the rattle from the tranmission area) oh and the rattle is heard inside the car. It starts rattling even before i fire the engine ("on" position).

Do you guys think it's the transmission? Because if it is I might consider selling the car immediately before it gets any worse and i have to spend thousands of $$$ to replace the transmission.

Thanks for the help and appreciate it!

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
i would say take a look at your tranny mounts first

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply flashtwosix! I just replaced my engine mounting 2 weeks ago and i asked the shop to take a look at the tranny mounts as well. They said it was still good. But I'll check again anyway... thanks!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
If it starts rattling before you even start the engine then I would guess that it's not the transmission itself. It could be the mounts, or even an exhaust hangar that's come loose...or something. Definitely get the car up on jack stands and check underneath the car as there is obviously something loose that is causing the rattling.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
If it starts rattling before you even start the engine then I would guess that it's not the transmission itself. It could be the mounts, or even an exhaust hangar that's come loose...or something. Definitely get the car up on jack stands and check underneath the car as there is obviously something loose that is causing the rattling.
whoa didn't even catch that.

OP. I dont know of any rattling that occurs when the engine is off? Do you mean squeaks and groans or rattling?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep it's really weird. and in addition, it gets louder when i'm driving on a bumpy road road.

thanks for the responses guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts