E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a step transmission and it for some reason it had to be replaced. Which would be more cost effective? Replacing it with a manual transmission? or replacing it with a new steptronic transmission?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
An automatic tranny costs more, obviously, but the additional labor on converting to a manual might be close to the extra cost of the automatic.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Scoot said:
The conversion to manual will be MUCH more expensive than simply replacing the auto.
:werd: sell the car and buy a manual one..its cheaper and easier

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
90% of the time they wouldn't replace it. They'd take it apart, use what is still good and rebuild it replacing the parts that are no good. But if for some reason it did need to be completely replace it would still cost substantially more for the conversion.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just wondering because my cousin on his 300zx one time had to replace his transmission and he opted to replace it with a manual because he couldn't afford to replace it with the automatic that was in it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
biggiestuff said:
I was just wondering because my cousin on his 300zx one time had to replace his transmission and he opted to replace it with a manual because he couldn't afford to replace it with the automatic that was in it.
I guess there are exceptions to the rule, but I am very surprised that option was cheaper. Not only does a clutch pedal have to be added, but a slave cylinder (and associated master cylinder), flywheel, clutch and modifications to the shifter. Also, the driveshaft from an auto almost never fits the manual. If he made-out on the deal, great! A manual belongs in a 300ZX.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
even if it cost more it is still worth doing. Paying money to rebuild an auto is a waste when you could be working towards a manual. If you can get the parts from a junk yard that will help the cost.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts