E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is about 1 month i got e46. I changed brake pads, rotors, control arms and recently fix p0174 ( there were some air leaks) in services. And day after i notices that the car ignites late , sometimes it does not even start with the first try. I also had that one or two times before p0174 fix. Furthermore, it gave me exclamation point next to gear selection display for couple times. Today, when i came back to home with about 40 km/h my car stalled on the move showing battery and oil signs light on. Then i just restarted the car and fortunately arrived at home. I checked error codes and they are: p0700, p0365, p0340 , p1315. Can someone explain me what is going on here?
Is it possible that p0700 comes because of camshaft sensors issues? Should i check wires first and then sensors itself? Or it is direct replacement of sensors?
Car is bmw e46 325ci 2004.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
When I experienced a failed cam position sensor the car would start up and die, I could not keep it running.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should google these codes and list their description here. Expecting the helpers to search for them?

A bad cam sensor will stall the engine at low rpm, cold or warm engine.
I am not sure what you mean by descriptions. I attached a pic.
Updates:
What i get from web:
P0340 and p0365 , p1315 are for camshaft position sensors issues.
1)Firstly, i need to check electrical connectors which send a signal from sensor to ECM. I was able to check only visually as i do not have a multimeter for now. The connector for intake side( "A" circuit) looks good , but for exhaust side( "B" circuit) looks someone manually fixed it before by connecting and tieing with duct tape and it is mainly covered with oil. I will check them with multimeter. Btw i could not find a part number of it for purchase. If anyone knows please let me know.
2) secondly, need to check if oil leak through a sensor to connector pins, then clean it up.
3) lastly, replace camshaft sensors with new ones( OEM ones are recommended).

For p0700 i did not get too much information as i do not have any problem with gear change . The only thing that i got is exclamation point next to gear on dashboard for one- three times while trying to start the car. Probably transmission oil need to be checked. I am not sure if are these problems are depend on each other.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toggie-
Do you have a scan tool to reset the codes? If so, do they come back?

Maybe Don will see this thread and chime in.
Hi. Yes i cleared codes 2 days ago. For now, it works fine and problems mysteriously dissappeared somehow. Hope i will not get them again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little update:
P0700 appeared again. Service guy told me it is a general error code which does not show an exact problem. So he told me drive it until there is something goes seriously wrong. He cleared codes and i drive normally again. Day after in the morning i went to canadian tire with no issue. I turned off the car and went into the store to buy some stuff. Then came back to the car and it started on the second try and exclamation sign appeared next to gear and engine sign as well. I decided to drive with that and there were jerks while shifting gears ( it is automatic gear btw) especially it was noticable while braking. So after that i stopped somewhere for about 15-20 minutes , came back to the car and BOOM everything came back to a normal condition without any signs and jerks.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by descriptions.
I'm sure anyone can google and find the codes descriptions as shown below:

P0340 BMW Code - Camshaft Sensor Inlet Signal
  • Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
  • Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty starter motor
  • Starting system circuit
  • Dead (Weak) battery
P0365 BMW Code - Camshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Bank 1
  • Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
  • Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty starter motor
  • Starting system circuit
  • Dead (Weak) battery
P1315 code possible causes
  • Faulty Ignition Coil No. 4
  • Ignition Coil No. 4 harness is open or shorted
  • Ignition Coil No. 4 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
P0700 BMW code possible causes
  • Shorted or open circuit within Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am too new with it. It is my first car. Now i got it.
Thank you Sapote for mentioning it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
191000 km .
I have checked battery: 12.3 V ( everywhere says no less than 12.5 , but i guess 0.2 does not affect) in not running and about 13.8 in idle.
Have no any records. Fuses also were checked. It is good. I have also restarted adaptive auto transmission.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
It wouldnt hurt to clean an tighten the battery connections and under the hood at the jumper post. Disconnect negative cable first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All right i will check this out. Btw exclamation sign appeared again while it was on acc. I just turn it off and turn on back and it was dissappeared.

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
339 Posts
I guess this is jumper which probably need to be cleaned View attachment 943917
You need to replace the cap on it asap, but it doesn't seem bad enough to be a problem.

Your transmission went into failsafe mode I think, you need to get a proper bmw scanner capable of scanning the transmission computer. You can use inpa on a laptop with a cheap cable, lots of tutorials on here on how to install it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need to replace the cap on it asap, but it doesn't seem bad enough to be a problem.

Your transmission went into failsafe mode I think, you need to get a proper bmw scanner capable of scanning the transmission computer. You can use inpa on a laptop with a cheap cable, lots of tutorials on here on how to install it
is not inpa the same as other obd2 scanners? Do you think inpa give me a direct issue? because i do not have a laptop. I have pc only.

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
339 Posts
is not inpa the same as other obd2 scanners? Do you think inpa give me a direct issue? because i do not have a laptop. I have pc only.
No, obd scanners can only scan the engine computer. Inpa can scan and program all the other modules of the car, including the gearbox

·
Registered
7 Posts
Then came back to the car and it started on the second try and exclamation sign appeared next to gear and engine sign as well. I decided to drive with that and there were jerks while shifting gears ( it is automatic gear btw) especially it was noticable while braking. So after that i stopped somewhere for about 15-20 minutes , came back to the car and BOOM everything came back to a normal condition without any signs and jerks.
I think you have multiple problems going on. I'd say you're likely to find your camshaft position sensor is bad, and may also wish to inspect your MAF sensor as a failing MAF can (and did, on my car) cause the transmission light to come on and the car to shift hard. When this is the case, the car will shift especially hard on braking because it's in its most aggressive mode by default. Ask your mechanic to look into/clean the MAF sensor and if it's bad replace it, and that may fix the transmission issue as it did for me. The camshaft position sensor going bad could result in intermittent performance, and if you're getting a misfire code, try the CPS first before you start diagnosing issues with the coil packs/injectors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts