BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help im not sure what these codes mean and if this is a serious transmission problem or an easy fix. I would very much appreciate it. Im really frustrated at this point.

I bought this car 2 yesrs ago and the car has been running really good. Every here and there I would notice after first turning on my car as soon as it shifts the cog light/limp mode would turn on and the car would lose power until i turn the car off, wait about 30 seconds then turn it back on and cog light would be gone. Now it has got to the point where the cog light and loss of power would happened after driving around for a bit.

It happened again today i was in a hurry to work so when the light turned green i started driving fast it took soo long to shift gears (probably didnt shift til 8k rpm) then when it finally did the car jerked a bit then i got the cog light and loss of power.

luckily i had my carly obd2 on me while this happened and when i scanned it i got these codes. I had the option to clear the codes wich i did, and immediately after i cleared the codes the cog light went away and drove the csr home with no issues.

My car info bmw e46 2005 sedan auto trans 169k miles.
here are some pictures of the codes. Sorry for the poor quality but you can clearly tell thats a cog light.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,004 Posts
Are there any codes stored for the DME, also any in the ABS/DSC system?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
There's a huge interdependence between how the engine is running and how the transmission shifts.
Case in point (used as an example but not your issue) was a car here two years ago. Had a ck. eng. light and the trans cog of death.
Given that the trans was in limp home mode (4th & reverse only.) I drove it and manually shifted the trans to verify all was well. It was.

(The college kid was on a limited budget and if the engine AND transmission had issues, he was SOL)

Long story short the Air Mass meter (AMM) was shorted. The transmission computer needed to know the load value of the engine in order to make decisions about how to shift (hard/soft) and when. Give that there was no load information being shared DME>EGS the cog came on.
New AMM and drove the car for 30 miles. All was restored.

I've not had a DSC issue cause shifting issues and your scanner/reports are foreign to me (Sorry we use factory tooling) but if the speed signal is not getting (?) to the EGS, that could cause the above.

I'll wait for someone like BD or the like with more experience with your scanner, to chime in about your scan results.
Is the DME bereft of codes? Soft or hard?

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,403 Posts
The code reader is for the engine computer only. You need to have the transmission computer (EGS in BMWspeak) scanned.
OP is using Carly, which is BMW-specific and can access all the control modules on an E46 when using their OBD adapter (I have the Gen2 WiFi).
In this case, the two trouble codes shown are from the EGS (AT control module).

I agree with MrMCar that looking at all the trouble codes in DME, EGS, and ABS as a whole would be helpful since they’re often interdependent.

These are the error code descriptions I found on the bmwfault.codes website.

GS20 EGS
  • 0036: Gear monitoring 4
  • 0091: CAN torque reduction
MK60 ABS-DSC
  • 5E19: CAN data fault from DME/DDE (DSC lamp on as long as error is present)
  • 5E1F: Vehicle identification number different

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP is using Carly, which is BMW-specific and can access all the control modules on an E46 when using their OBD adapter (I have the Gen2 WiFi).
In this case, the two trouble codes shown are from the EGS (AT control module).

I agree with MrMCar that looking at all the trouble codes in DME, EGS, and ABS as a whole would be helpful since they’re often interdependent.

These are the error code descriptions I found on the bmwfault.codes website.

GS20 EGS
  • 0036: Gear monitoring 4
  • 0091: CAN torque reduction
MK60 ABS-DSC
  • 5E19: CAN data fault from DME/DDE (DSC lamp on as long as error is present)
  • 5E1F: Vehicle identification number different
Its just wierd to me that when i clear the codes its like nothing happened. I would think if the trans would be messed up that wouldn't of fixed anything

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a huge interdependence between how the engine is running and how the transmission shifts.
Case in point (used as an example but not your issue) was a car here two years ago. Had a ck. eng. light and the trans cog of death.
Given that the trans was in limp home mode (4th & reverse only.) I drove it and manually shifted the trans to verify all was well. It was.

(The college kid was on a limited budget and if the engine AND transmission had issues, he was SOL)

Long story short the Air Mass meter (AMM) was shorted. The transmission computer needed to know the load value of the engine in order to make decisions about how to shift (hard/soft) and when. Give that there was no load information being shared DME>EGS the cog came on.
New AMM and drove the car for 30 miles. All was restored.

I've not had a DSC issue cause shifting issues and your scanner/reports are foreign to me (Sorry we use factory tooling) but if the speed signal is not getting (?) to the EGS, that could cause the above.

I'll wait for someone like BD or the like with more experience with your scanner, to chime in about your scan results.
Is the DME bereft of codes? Soft or hard?
You mean the mas air flow sensor right? Yea ive had one go bad on me before but when that one messed up on me the car would shake and turn off. In my case after clearing the code it ran good. Also after clearing the codes it ran fine

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
I assume (me bad) Carly can show you MAF data. The data need to be in grams per second (g/s). At idle, depending on engine displacement, you should see about 3.5 g/s from the MAF.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You mean the mas air flow sensor right? Yea ive had one go bad on me before but when that one messed up on me the car would shake and turn off. In my case after clearing the code it ran good. Also after clearing the codes it ran fine

It can be the MAF, but that's NOT the only thing the EGS looks at. The EGS needs to know your engine speed, road speed, load signal, how far you're pressing the throttle etc. There are MANY engine parameters that get shared with the EGS so the transmission can make intelligent choices about how/when to shift up, down, hold a gear etc.
It's rather complex and not your dad's F150 pickup truck that shifted each gear at XX speed regardless of where you were in the throttle.

There's a constant communication between the DME/EGS at all times.

Think of it like a 3 legged race at an old school picnic. If the two people tied together don't work in tandem, you'll not be near the front.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,403 Posts
Its just wierd to me that when i clear the codes its like nothing happened. I would think if the trans would be messed up that wouldn't of fixed anything
This is because the limp mode of the transmission is removed when you clear codes. Limp mode is a self-protect behavior built into the EGS, and invoked when a transmission fault is detected that it deems could harm the transmission to continue operating.

Please post the DME trouble codes so we can see the full picture here and advise you properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is because the limp mode of the transmission is removed when you clear codes. Limp mode is a self-protect behavior built into the EGS, and invoked when a transmission fault is detected that it deems could harm the transmission to continue operating.

Please post the DME trouble codes so we can see the full picture here and advise you properly.
Its been shifting really smooth ever since i cleared the code. I have already provided pictures of all codes that popped up when scanned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It can be the MAF, but that's NOT the only thing the EGS looks at. The EGS needs to know your engine speed, road speed, load signal, how far you're pressing the throttle etc. There are MANY engine parameters that get shared with the EGS so the transmission can make intelligent choices about how/when to shift up, down, hold a gear etc.
It's rather complex and not your dad's F150 pickup truck that shifted each gear at XX speed regardless of where you were in the throttle.

There's a constant communication between the DME/EGS at all times.

Think of it like a 3 legged race at an old school picnic. If the two people tied together don't work in tandem, you'll not be near the front.
I see. So it can be alot of different things not just the transmission. I will be checking the transmission fluid today hopefully its just a bit low.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,403 Posts
I have already provided pictures of all codes that popped up when scanned.
You posted the EGS and ABS trouble codes, but we’re still waiting to see the DME trouble codes to complete this picture.
Can you scan just that module and post a screen shot of the results?

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,403 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts