BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Two thoughts; neither is likely to be solved with a fluid change.

1) Your car has a torque converter that has the locking feature. (?) It's not functioning correctly?
2) Your idle valve is not keeping up with the engine speed when going from P to R?

Do you have a higher level scanner? I would pull codes and look at a few things with the DME (engine computer) and the EGS (transmission computer)
Is ISTA+ "high level" enough? Ista shows 0 faults for DME

Just checked. Also EGS is fault free.

That is the wierd thing. I see no faults anywhere....
Ok engine has aux heater fault and swif flap code.

I started thinking logically. When I first filled it up with oil, there was small stream coming out like it should. Yesterday I checked oil level again with ista's tutorial and there was shitton of oil coming out.
Is it possible that there is too much oil and some black magic is going on and turbine has too much pressure and that causes turbine locking to not work like it should?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wild guess, sometimes when you change/refresh fluids it's a good idea to reset adaptations. Could this help?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wild guess, sometimes when you change/refresh fluids it's a good idea to reset adaptations. Could this help?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
When I changed the whole transmission. The bmw workshop told me to reset adabtions.
I've done it before first start. And after I noticed the problem but did not help

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

These are only DDE errors I have. And they have been here for 9 months. On EGS or in transmission 0 codes

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,004 Posts
DDE swirl flaps are an issue that will need attention at some point, but not your issue currently.

Adaptations resetting is something I'm ambivalent about. However at the end of the day, it's really just fine tuning of how things run. Think of it like adjusting the bass and treble on a radio.
Adaptations will not make a EGS or DME not perform the basics correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
DDE swirl flaps are an issue that will need attention at some point, but not your issue currently.

Adaptations resetting is something I'm ambivalent about. However at the end of the day, it's really just fine tuning of how things run. Think of it like adjusting the bass and treble on a radio.
Adaptations will not make a EGS or DME not perform the basics correctly.
So what can I do?
I know the problem to swirl flaps. They are removed and when I changed the transmission. I removed the control valve thingi from the wires. I connect it back and the error is gone and never seen again.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Can you view status of various solenoids and the locking (?) torque converter?

I'm wondering if your transmission has it, AND if the solenoid or clutch inside the torque converter is bad?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Just a guess, but knowing the status of these things can answer a lot of questions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just a guess, but knowing the status of these things can answer a lot of questions.
I can see the status of them with ista yes. But I have no idea how to read the data. It says solenoid 1-4 I think. They are ON and OFF also I can see torque coverter clutch status. But what does off mean and on? When are they suppoused to do anything? Etc...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So the locking torque converter should only be working in 4th and 5th (year model variant dependent) gears.

I'm just wondering if your engine stall is the converter locking when it's not supposed to.

All of this is just a guess. You started the conversation with a suspected transmission issue. Could be something else entirely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So the locking torque converter should only be working in 4th and 5th (year model variant dependent) gears.

I'm just wondering if your engine stall is the converter locking when it's not supposed to.

All of this is just a guess. You started the conversation with a suspected transmission issue. Could be something else entirely.
I started with transmission issue yes because after I changed the transmission it all started.
So when in reverse, I press gas etc... Turbine clutch should be in OFF status all the time? Same in Drive and for example 3rd gear?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Definitely use Dexron VI. In addition, only use Dexron VI that is GM certified. I used a fluid from an otherwise reputable manufacturer that claimed to meet Dex-VI for a couple of drain and refills. Everything worked fine until cold weather hit.
At first I thought my trans. was failing because it kept slipping until the engine was fully warmed up. After some hits and misses, I decided to flush it with a fluid that was GM certified. Since you can only drain about 40% of the fluid without opening the trans. I used 4 drain and refills (run in between), which replaced about 87% of the old fluid. Totally fixed the problem. (There are other ways to flush a trans. but I went lo tech.) If you need to go further to get rid of the Dex-II six drain and refills will replace 95% of the old fluid.
Take home lesson--Use Dexron-VI fluid that carries a GM-certified label in AS360/390 trannies.
Hope this helps.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,403 Posts
...only use Dexron VI that is GM certified. I used a fluid from an otherwise reputable manufacturer that claimed to meet Dex-VI for a couple of drain and refills. Everything worked fine until cold weather hit.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Can you name the specific Dexron VI ATF that didn’t work well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Definitely use Dexron VI. In addition, only use Dexron VI that is GM certified. I used a fluid from an otherwise reputable manufacturer that claimed to meet Dex-VI for a couple of drain and refills. Everything worked fine until cold weather hit.
At first I thought my trans. was failing because it kept slipping until the engine was fully warmed up. After some hits and misses, I decided to flush it with a fluid that was GM certified. Since you can only drain about 40% of the fluid without opening the trans. I used 4 drain and refills (run in between), which replaced about 87% of the old fluid. Totally fixed the problem. (There are other ways to flush a trans. but I went lo tech.) If you need to go further to get rid of the Dex-II six drain and refills will replace 95% of the old fluid.
Take home lesson--Use Dexron-VI fluid that carries a GM-certified label in AS360/390 trannies.
Hope this helps.
I would say no thank you :D
from our local shop. dex-6 is 15€ per liter.
I would need 17 liters for 2 flushes. so thats 255€ already.
I can get new transmission for 250€

It would be pointless to do many flushes if it does not help. Like guy said above. This issue im having is not because of oil. (I doubt the ATF you put in is causing your troubles here. )

I was just wondering if anyone had similar problems and fixxed it. Ista tells me 0 fault codes so there is 0 faults...I'll drive the car until something breaks and then I know what was causing the problem..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Did you take this car back to the shop that installed the replacement transmission?
It seems they should fix it.
I bought it, I installed it. I have been working on cars as a hobby for many years and I have installed many automatoc transmissions on VAGs. BMW is new world for me.
Why would I go to shop and pay 2500€ for automatic transmission change if the car is worth 1000€. I can do it myself. Google is full of tutorials how to. Why not do it myself🤭
Transmission was used and seems like it was already broken somehow. But old one was alot worse.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I started with transmission issue yes because after I changed the transmission it all started.
So when in reverse, I press gas etc... Turbine clutch should be in OFF status all the time? Same in Drive and for example 3rd gear?
I believe that's correct.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,403 Posts
I bought it, I installed it. I have been working on cars as a hobby for many years and I have installed many automatoc transmissions on VAGs. BMW is new world for me.
Why would I go to shop and pay 2500€ for automatic transmission change if the car is worth 1000€. I can do it myself. Google is full of tutorials how to. Why not do it myself🤭
Transmission was used and seems like it was already broken somehow. But old one was alot worse.
Ah ok, it wasn’t clear who did the work. So, you are the shop. :p

Here is a link to the GM transmission tech docs on my Google Drive. Hopefully that helps you troubleshoot?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ah ok, it wasn’t clear who did the work. So, you are the shop. :p

Here is a link to the GM transmission tech docs on my Google Drive. Hopefully that helps you troubleshoot?
Today I finslly got transmission into limp mode😅
Fault code 000037 EGS: Gear monitoring 5

And it was only code. I hoped there is something like "solenoid 1 fault"😂

21 - 40 of 40 Posts