BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Few months back my automatic transmission stopped working. It started slipping like grazy and I had to drive home.
I have -04 e46 with m47 engine and transmissions are made by GM
Last week I changed whole transmission with torque converter.
When installing, I filled the turbine with dexren(?) II oil, installed the transmission and filled oil pan, then started engine and friend started going through gears and I pumped more oil.
around 8.5l I pumped into it overall until It started to come out from fill hole. waited until small stream came out and then it was done.
First day of driving I noticed that Revrese gear works wierdly. when in R and lifting break, car starts going backward like it should, but when I press gas, it starts slipping and car wont go faster backward, when I let go of the gas, then torque comes to wheels and backwheel start to spin.
Also there is problems with D gear. Gear change is smooth, everything is smooth BUT
When coming into STOP sign or just breaking to stop. 8/10 times there is still torque to wheel even tought car is almost not moving, you can feel the engine starts to die and car want to go forward.
So the turbine clutch is not engaging like it should?
it lasts about 2-3 seccond and then idle speed raises and torque to backwheel goes away and everything is fine.
Is this something common or is the new transmission also broken?
I've done oil change twice with new filter. did not help. Resetting transmission adations does not help.
INPA or ISTA shows 0 fault codes.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
What was the temperature of the transmission fluid pan when you’ve topped off the fluid. It should be about 100*F, or rather warm but not hot to the touch. The GM transmission uses Dexron3 or Dexron6 fluid. What the torque converter new, used or rebuilt?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What was the temperature of the transmission fluid pan when you’ve topped off the fluid. It should be about 100*F, or rather warm but not hot to the touch. The GM transmission uses Dexron3 or Dexron6 fluid. What the torque converter new, used or rebuilt?
I dont remember the temps. but I used ISTA's guide, there was option to refill, it asked me to wait for the temperature and then I could press continue and add more oil.
I did it like ISTA's guide told me.
I asked from some german facebook group and people told me Dexron II / IID oil is correct one, on the bottle I bought, it says "Dexron II / IID"
are you telling me I have wrong oil?

This was the picture I got when I asked what oil to use. so I bought the one that says IID, but it says "II / IID"

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,004 Posts
Should be Texaco ETL (no power at the shop,so can't check) however I have an old service bulletin that very clearly states to use Dexron 6.

You could use 3, but you will need to change it in 45,000 km.
6 is more synthetic and has a better additive package, along with higher anti-foaming agents

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does these sumptoms sound like a oil problem? Is it too late for me to change oils? Transmission works fine but few problems. Intresting that that bmw group on facebook, 4 dudes told me to use dexron II/IID

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
All too often groups of people try a product, and while similar not the correct fitment. Then others use the same and it becomes the defacto part erroneously.

Same here. There is a tremendous amount of very good information and tips here. Albeit not all of it is 100% correct. Thankfully most of it is.

I consider it one of the better ones. Hence my participation.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,404 Posts
The GM trans should get Dexron VI. We have a nice list here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The GM trans should get Dexron VI. We have a nice list here.
Very interesting. People have now told me dexron 2,3, 6 also. Also our local bmw workshop said dexron 2 is fine...

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,404 Posts
Very interesting. People have now told me dexron 2,3, 6 also. Also our local bmw workshop said dexron 2 is fine...
I tried to look up your car on realoem.com, assumed it is a 01/2004 320CD coupe LHD.
Says you have the A5S390R GM transmission, which should take Dexron VI.

GM themselves came out with the recommendation to switch from the original Texaco ETL 8072B to Dexron VI some time back. I need to find that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
I tried to look up your car on realoem.com, assumed it is a 01/2004 320CD coupe LHD.

GM themselves came out with the recommendation to switch from the original Texaco ETL 8072B to Dexron VI some time back. I need to find that.
Its m47 engine. 320d e46 touring 08/2004

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I tried to look up your car on realoem.com, assumed it is a 01/2004 320CD coupe RHD.

Other than the "advance service bulletin" I received I've not seen anything official in print from der motherland.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,404 Posts
Other than the "advance service bulletin" I received I've not seen anything official in print from der motherland.
It was from GM themselves, basically saying that all transmissions they made originally spec’ed for Dexron (not sure if all Dexron specs) should now use Dexron VI.

This alludes to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was from GM themselves, basically saying that all transmissions they made originally spec’ed for Dexron (not sure if all Dexron specs) should now use Dexron VI.

This alludes to it.
SO should I now change to dexron 4 or 6 or 3 ?
our local shop has dexron 2,3 and 4
On dexron 3 bottle, it clearly says: Dont use one systems that use DEXRON-IV (translated)
also there is dexron III, IIIG and IIIH
which one?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Dex 6 (VI) is widely available on just about every parts store on the planet.
Just choose a top tier brand and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dex 6 (VI) is widely available on just about every parts store on the planet.
Just choose a top tier brand and you'll be fine.
on realoem.com and 7zap it says atf 2 for oil
83222305396 is the part number on realoem.com and when googleing it, it says dexron 2

when in R Seems like too much resistance from gearbox and engine dies.
on D same thing but when driving and coming to stop.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You know, you're not crazy. If I take all of the different part numbers (long since superseded) I get different variations of Dex 3H etc.
The biggest problem is that BMW changes part numbers for ATF like I change underwear. Now it's stabilized.
10 years ago we couldn't keep up with all the different revisions.

However all the GM transmissions in the A5S 360R/390R get Dexron 6.
The specification of the original oil (right in my real version of ETK) is Texaco ETL 7045E. That is now filled with Dexron 6.

Do you have to stop and change it again right now? NO
But after some 20-30,000 Km. change it out for the Dexron 6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have to stop and change it again right now? NO
But after some 20-30,000 Km. change it out for the Dexron 6.
This is what I've found now when I started searching.
As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. But more important, earlier type fluids are NOT FORWARD COMPATIBLE with transmissions that were designed to use DEXRON-VI.
I'll try to change fluids in few days. The transmissions acts very wierdly. Now when I put it in R, in about 5 secconds, engine dies. fires back up no problem, again to R and 5 secconds and dies.
Like there is too much resistance in gearbox when in R
I'll take old oil out, take out the mechatronics, sink it in petrol for few minutes, clean it, change the filter and fill it back with dexron 6.
If it still does not work I'll fill it with petrol and give some heat to it...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Two thoughts; neither is likely to be solved with a fluid change.

1) Your car has a torque converter that has the locking feature. (?) It's not functioning correctly?
2) Your idle valve is not keeping up with the engine speed when going from P to R?

Do you have a higher level scanner? I would pull codes and look at a few things with the DME (engine computer) and the EGS (transmission computer)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'd be wary of taking the VB out and soaking it in petrol.
Far too aggressive.

Are you aware that automatic transmission fluid is very high in detergent additives? Especially the Dexron family.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts