E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission Problem! Please Help no D

51K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  Zasca Sound 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, I had a question.
So after filling up my car on Sunday, i drive my car into the parking lot of the gas station and am behind a few cars at a stop sign. Everything is working fine when suddenly i try to move forward and my car wont move. The engine is perfectly fine and no extra lights on my dash turn on. Strangely enough my car will move in reverse. I played with the gears back and forth for a bit hoping it was just a glitch. Over all though I was stuck in the parking lot.
I get my car towed home and take on the challenge of changing the transmission oil and filter since it has over 100 thousand on it hoping that may be the solution (though not to much hope). I just finished, and when i try to drive the car doesnt really go, i mean if I rev it to 2,500 it will slowly pick up speed, but not normally by a long shot. IDK what it could be, im thinking oil trany pump?
So if any one has any ideas im more than happy to hear them
Thank You
The car is an 01 325i with the 5HP something numbering im pretty sure. Its automatic, and its not making any new sounds that i can tello, and ive been under the car while its on for a few minutes.

#5 ·
I like the idea of rebuilding it. the oil change was mostly because i wanted to change the filter in case it wasnt allowing enough oil for the oil pump to go through since it had over 100K on it. Strange, I know but it was a hopefull action. The rebuild kit sounds good im not scared of doing some manual labor, how ever hard this may be. Thanks. so there is a chance its the oil pump? Otherwise im lost and dont understand why it still works in reverse.
Thanks
If you guys have any more ideas im all ears.

#17 ·
Also, this will probably seem odd but our cars are really sensitive to bad or failing batteries. When voltages drop, all sorts of weird things can start happening, even involving the trans due to the modules that control it, throwing it into limp mode. Have you changed the battery recently or do you have access to a verified good battery or jumper cables/charger?

#19 ·
So i didnt get a new torque converter, but i did get a diffrent one and the reverse works fine so the power is getting there. As for the battery, It is charged, but i will double check it. Any other ideas, just incase its not the battery?
Thanks

#25 ·
So after I swaped out the transmission the mechanic drove it around with the same issues for a bit until the computer read out that it needed the transmission computer reprogramed. I'm not sure if this was the transmission that caused the the computer to mess up or the computer just failing on its own. well anyways i took it to get it reprogramed and now my car works fine. In addition the benefit to Swaping it out is that I changed the oil and now it shifts really smooth.

#28 ·
Hey guys, I came across this today while searching for a tranny problem on my car.

I have a 2004 325xi Auto w/ steptronic. My problem occurs after letting my car sit for about 5 hours or more. When I put it in D and accelerate I dont move or at least not very fast. I will feel the tranny get in and then I can drive. However, if put my car into revers or manual I can drive right away.

Could this also be a programming error? I did go to my local shop forever ago, I cant remember what they said but I do know there was no resolution to the problem.

Ill be going to my dealer soon anyways and will probably have them look at it. Ill post back with what they say but it does sound like a very similar issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.