BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
^_^
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Need your PROFESSIONAL opionion here. When I drive my 330i and at very very low speeds in 1st gear, if I just release the clutch I feel this "bump" feeling. It's funny that I don't really know how to describe it... like you can even hear the sound that the gear is released and you feel a little jerkiness there?

Also, when I upshift, sometimes I didn't match the RPM (didn't pump it up) and when I fully engage the gear, I also feel a push and a low tone noise coming from the transmission too.

Are there normal? I took a test drive on a 325xi lastnite just to make sure and it didn't feel nearly as strong the feel when I release the first gear at say... 10mph or lower. Is it becos my transmission is having problem or different engine and drivetrain? For those of you have a RWD, can you please advise.

Thank you.

·
Registered
297 Posts
BigRain...i kind of had the same problem like you. I have an automatic and when I brake, going from 15mph to 10mph, there is a sudden jolt. I don't ease or apply anymore pressure to the brake, so I know that the jolt is not normal. The shop foreman test drove my car and said that when the car downshifts from 2nd to 1st gear that is where the problem is occuring. To make a long story short, they just replace the Transmission Control Unit and now my car run as smooth as ever. Hope this helps.

·
^_^
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Emi and Phamman,

so now... possible errors are:
1) pressure plate
2) transmission control unit.

Darn... anymore to come? my stupid car is only 3.5 months old.

·
Registered
388 Posts
you only have a trans control unit if you have an automatic. manual trannies are purely mechanical. no computer involved.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i have the same problem and i have an auto.. i should get that looked at next time i bring the car in..

·
Registered
388 Posts
just take it to the dealer... have them install a brand new clutch kit. also have them check the clutch hydraulic system (lines, master/slave cylinder).

the pressure plate is actuated by the clutch pedal using a hydraulic mechanism.

the clutch disk is sandwiched between the pressure plate and flywheel.

when you push the clutch pedal in, the pressure plate releases the pressure it naturally appies against the clutch disk/flywheel.

·
^_^
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Emi323i

Thank you so much~ gosh... I'm disappointed, I've been driving this thing without redlining nor hard starts so far and this still happens so soon? I wonder if I'll be able to last 7 yrs with my first bimmer~

:huh:

·
Registered
388 Posts
ok ... i just read your post again...

the thump you get at low speed, in first gear, when releasing the clutch is pretty much normal... every one has this problem. the noise is actualy coming from the diff. your engine applies negative torque to the rest of the drive train (engine brake).. this causes a tension force through the drive train.... car wants to move forward but the engine slows it down... when you release the clutch the tension is also suddenly lost causing ... uh... kinda of a whiplash...

this is most likely to happen on cars with sprung flywheel or clutch... since the springs are loaded whenever torque is present.
you release the clutch the srping is gonna unload, causing the noise.

I thought you have issues with the clutch acting up on you. never mind all that talk abour pressure plate

·
Registered
388 Posts
oh... i found a way to avoid it... don't release the clutch until engine is idling , or close to it... like around 900-1000 rpm. At that engine speed there's very little torque. Or release the clutch before the engine winds down... these engines have a little delay between reving up and coming back down...

·
^_^
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so this is normal? :) Becos I didn't notice much of the "whiplash" on the 235xi yesterday. Or is it because of the AWD?

·
^_^
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And darn.. my 330i feels a lot louder than the 325xi there. I don't know if they've the same exhaust system or not.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,845 Posts
u got a sticky gear prob.. i fixed that by changing the tranny oil.. thanks to Rob at UUC :thumbup:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had some different tranny problems a couple months ago and from my research, it sounded like that "bump" is pretty common. I don't notice it in my 325i manual though....maybe it's a 330 thing. If you're worried about it, make sure you can duplicate it and ask your dealer about it. If they say it's normal or not going to cause any damage, at least you'll have the peace of mind that everything is OK.

·
^_^
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But is that a permanent fix? I mean if the problem is there then there should be a way to fix it fundamentally isn't it?

·
Banned
988 Posts
I had the same problem. You should check to see if your clutch is part of the service bulletin regarding faulty clutches. Mine was replaced under warranty when I had 7k miles on my car. Ever since they installed the new clutch the sound and feeling have gone away. Hope this helps.:thumbup:

·
^_^
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Traumamc,

Would you happen to have the service bulletin information available? e.g. It's number, title, anything?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts