E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well just posting this up as it may 1 day help a fellow E46fanatic out.

Car - E46 2004 SMG M3, 110k's
*Note - Daily Driven, Hasn't been "taken through its paces" so to speak since the S.E QLD GC Hinterlands run.

As I started the car up, heard a high pitched squeek kind of like a loose belt or something, no lights popped up so I assumed all good to continue - Was driving home the other night, casually I might add as it was raining. I put pedal to the floor on 1 occasion from stop sign to the speed limit then continued on my way home: then as I was pulling up to a set of lights 5mins later downshifting, my car felt like it was in S6 throwing it back really hard, then as I drove off shifting up through the gears it felt like it was in S6 (settings were in S3) so I put the settings up to S5 then to S1 then back to S3, which did nothing really - still felt like the car was shifting in S6.

I pulled up in front of my friends house, turned the car off in the hopes that restarting the car would reset it all which I then found out that the car would not restart. Car would not engage Reverse gear or 1st and then popped up the battery, oil, engine and smg cog light :tsk::facepalm:

I decided to leave the car in front of my friends house Saturday. I came back Sunday morning unlocked the car (heard the SMG pump prime up but very quietly) tried starting again and no luck. I called a tow truck to take it to my friends work shop who has done all my previous work/maintenance except Inspection II which BMW Brisbane carried out. He ran some diagnostics on it yesterday and a "Transmission Error" code kept popping up. :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

So at this point we still don't know exactly what is wrong with the car till it all gets stripped down, so will be in the garage for the next week and a bit having the transmission, clutch, actuator, smg pump etc looked at.

I've been told already it will be very expensive already and I will keep you guys in the loop and hopefully whatever happened to my car wont happen to yours.

PS. Saintly (Loren) - Most likely going to have to postpone the AA charging of my car for a while lol.

- Elliot

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sorry to hear that :( Keep us posted. Would be useful info. I've got a manual, but still good to know these things. Even manuals have their issues. Mine is notchy, though it's not really an issue, it's annoying. So next week having some Royal Purple Synchromax put it. Also, I've got a noisey diff - slow left turns brings about a deep moan/rubbing noise. Gonna try put in the SAF-XJ + FM Booster in. Hope that helps.

Sorry to ninja your thread, but have others ever used SAF-XJ + FM Booster to get rid of a noisey diff?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Don***8217;t panic mate, Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be Battery + Alternator. Alternator died which then did not start the battery which then meant there was not enough power to run the smg which then meant it did not want to select a gear start.

My guess is it***8217;s the Alternator For sure. Give the Battery a charge and try again.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Don't panic mate, Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be Battery + Alternator. Alternator died which then did not start the battery which then meant there was not enough power to run the smg which then meant it did not want to select a gear start.

My guess is it's the Alternator For sure. Give the Battery a charge and try again.
Hmmm I don't know if it could be the battery, I replaced it just last year + the car had full power - radio, lights etc all came on?

code 59 clutch actuation dynamic <- is what popped up

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
No Elliot!

What a shame. Good to see though you dont have the sshits and want to sell the car or anything rash!

try the battery first. What's the harm? Low battery or bad alternator can effect the SMG which will cause the SMG error. If it was just gearbox do you think you would have battery light also?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey bud, I feel ur pain in a fraction of it. My fuel gauge is farked and its hard for me to judge how much petrol I have these days... an expensive fix for me if I have to replace everything... but with you... I really hope all is be well soon man! Least its at ur mates workshop where u dont get charged by the hour! All the best and keep us posted! Good luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Could well be an alternator even with a good battery, but symptoms don't really match.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING DRASTIC REPLACE THE SMG (SALMON) RELAY!

The dynamic clutch code might point to a crook clutch actuator. Get the clutch bite point and SMG adaption done and only then think about putting a spanner to it. The squeak might point to a problem in the clutch/ fingers/ throwout/ forks area.

Good Luck!

Cheers
JM

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
if the lights come on i doubt its the battery. radio, etc is fine with a "flat" battery, but not headlights.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hey bud, I feel ur pain in a fraction of it. My fuel gauge is farked and its hard for me to judge how much petrol I have these days... an expensive fix for me if I have to replace everything... but with you... I really hope all is be well soon man! Least its at ur mates workshop where u dont get charged by the hour! All the best and keep us posted! Good luck!
shuddup man... thats an easy fix..

pop your rear seat out, take senders out, clean them up and check them when out of tank.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could well be an alternator even with a good battery, but symptoms don't really match.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING DRASTIC REPLACE THE SMG (SALMON) RELAY!

The dynamic clutch code might point to a crook clutch actuator. Get the clutch bite point and SMG adaption done and only then think about putting a spanner to it. The squeak might point to a problem in the clutch/ fingers/ throwout/ forks area.

Good Luck!

Cheers
JM

Yeah thanks guys, I did some research of it all yesterday. Told him this afternoon to replace the relay and see if that works asap :thumbup:

Will let you know how it goes..

Salmon relay. Exactly.

Google is your friend El.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
shuddup man... thats an easy fix..

pop your rear seat out, take senders out, clean them up and check them when out of tank.
Hmmm I was gonna do that but I hate the reek of petrol. Im thinking of chucking some product into the fuel tank first.

Besides I have more things to worry about just yet, got Vic Roads cancelling my rego on me tmrw if i dont get the defect cleared... thing is I have but i can't.

Both Vic Roads and the police have NO FKN CLUE watsoever coz i got defected in NSW... I pretty much got defected for bald tyres right. Got brand new tyres, with proof but they still dunno how to clear the defect.. they told me to get a road worthy insteead..

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hmmm I don't know if it could be the battery, I replaced it just last year + the car had full power - radio, lights etc all came on?

code 59 clutch actuation dynamic <- is what popped up
The fact the smg pump was quiet er than normal would suggest that it is not recieving enough current to work properly. Has the car ever had a new alternator? if not I would suggest that is your problem. mine went 2 years ago and your car is 2 years younger than mine so it would make sense. TRy Chargeing battery overnight. A battery charger will set you back $50 max and then atleast you can be sure. Then maybe look at the SMG relay switch.

·
Registered
304 Posts
AussieM3: just because your alternator failed after 7 years does not mean everyone elses will fail at 7 years or even that it makes sense that it would fail at 7 years. That kind of logic can't be applied. Every car will be different.

·
Registered
856 Posts
AussieM3: just because your alternator failed after 7 years does not mean everyone elses will fail at 7 years or even that it makes sense that it would fail at 7 years. That kind of logic can't be applied. Every car will be different.
Sorry Shonky just trying to help. and By the way the alternator issue does apply to all M3's and does tend to happen around the 7 year mark.

Good luck and for your sake I hope I'm right :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well what's the verdict E?
Well,

Car has been in the Work shop since Sunday, today the Battery, alternator and salmon relay where all checked, then taken out individually and tested... all running Perfect. Car is still popping up with transmission/clutch error codes :facepalm:

Soo at this point its safe to say its not looking good. The guys are gonna take a look at the car next week as he does have a busy workload at the moment, everything to do with the Transmission/clutch etc is going to be stripped out and checked individually and I guess I'll know then what I kind of costs I'm looking at.....

Till then all I can do is wait, which sucks absolute arse as every BMW 3 series I see makes me miss mine more and more. :tsk::(:thumbdwn:

Will you keep you guys informed anyway,

Elliot

1 - 20 of 70 Posts