BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed that when i hit the gas hard and lose traction in the rain this light on the dash board comes on. i understand that's traction control kicking in. what i don't understand is when i push the DSC button below the climate control the light on the dash is on the whole time...........Does that mean i have traction control on the whole time?...........:dunno:

·
Invalid User
10,911 Posts
i think there are 2 stages. one is where the traction light stays on, and the other is where the traction control light is on and the ebrak light stays on. i don't know what the difference is between the two. but if you push the DSC button and the light is on.. it should mean that it's off. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
in the future refer to the owner's manual ;) when u press the dsc and the light is lit up on the dash this means u have disabled the the traction control,otherwise traction control is on.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's kind weird when the light lit up when u lose traction.......and this is supposed to be traction control kicking in while when it's on full time it means traction control is off.........

·
Registered
339 Posts
It really means.. stop driving the car so hard and allow the wheels to gain traction...(logically, it doesn't make sense to make) but the idea of the system is that it is working all the time, not just for a second.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
The light flashes when the system engages to tell you that it's working... It goes on full time to warn you that it's not working when you turn it off. Seems very logical to me.
The second disabled stage with the brake light on means that you've turned off ADB. Our cars have OPEN differentials, which means that the most power gos to the wheel that has the LEAST traction. ADB brakes the wheel that spins to try to send power back to the wheel with traction.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Think of it this way. A light (or anything else on your dash for that matter) is an indicator or a way for the car to communicate a message to you, the driver.

While you are driving hard with DSC engaged and the light goes off, the car is telling you that DSC is working to alter torgue, power, etc. to your wheels because you are driving aggrisvely. Like was said above, it's telling you to watch out. DSC is great but the laws of physics still apply.

When DSC is off (and hence the light is on) the car is telling you that you do not have this "fudge factor" to compensate for any lack of driver ability.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Notice what the light is. It has an exclamation mark, which means... be alert. WHen it blinks while you are driving, that means the car is sensing slipping.... when you push dsc, it stays on, which means that traction control is off... be aware....

Ive had my dsc off and it started blinking and beeping when the temp outside is 37 Degrees... C. Anyone else notice that? I think its another way for the board to tell you that it may be icy out and that dsc should be on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts