E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing from guys who track their cars, especially if you also have an E46 M3.
A couple friends & I rented a track last Thursday
and leaned a few things. One of course would be our own limitations as drivers (we really weren't confident enough to turn off the DSC except for a few laps!) Also we found that just a 100 miles on the track really shreds your tires, especially the outside edges of the fronts. And finally, a bone stock M3 really does push like crazy when driven towards the limit. So any tips anyone woul dlike to share would be great: tires, driving techniques, suspension, set-up,whatever.......I'm all ears.

BTW, anyone in AZ or NM who is interested in tracking, we'd like to get a few more guys next time we rent the track. Having unlimited track time w/virtually unlimited runoff is pretty close to paradise for a motorhead.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wearing out your front tires is due to your driving style. I wear out my rears faster because i let the rears do the traction.
The m3 is pretty damm competent as is on the track. I say get a few instructions on tracks, then buy some mods. But if you must buy mods first, do this.

18" SSR Comps with either max performance tires, or track tires. 255's all around would be ideal.
Some coilovers with adjustable dampening, maybe even rebound control if you have the extra bills.
14" Brembo's.
Maybe some sway bars, if they are available for your car.

For driving technique, there isn't much I can do over the internet, but i'll give you some basic pointers.

Don't take a corner too fast, brake first, late apex. Never(some exceptions) brake in the middle of a turn. Get into a proper seating position.
Most importantly, know that you are not a pro driver, and make safety your FIRST priority.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
330iGt said:
Wearing out your front tires is due to your driving style.
18" SSR Comps with either max performance tires, or track tires. 255's all around would be ideal. Some coilovers with adjustable dampening, maybe even rebound control if you have the extra bills. 14" Brembo's. Maybe some sway bars, if they are available for your car.

Don't take a corner too fast, brake first, late apex. Never(some exceptions) brake in the middle of a turn. Most importantly, know that you are not a pro driver, and make safety your FIRST priority.
Thanks for your help. I've been on a track mant times on a motorcycle, so I know the basic principles of line & braking. However you are exactly right about not taking a corner too fast.
We had lap timers & I always did my best lap early in the session before I started rushing the corners, thinking I was really hauling ass when all I was doing was losing traction & slowing myself down. Safety was paramount. The track has no barriers & we had it all to ourselves, so no passing. The car has max performance tires already, but 225's up front. The sway bars I want (UUC) are supposed to be out very soon. Brakes seemed OK, but we did short sessions & I know w/motorcycles inexperienced riders do a lot of coasting inot corners rather than hard braking & I'd bet that was what we were doing no matter how late we "thought" we were braking. Don't think I am going to lower it...the car is a daily driver & M3's are pretty low already.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Air prasure, Air preasure. Put more air in the fronts. I have driven my fronts with 50 psi and you will feal the different like night and day. Don't put 50 psi right away because when the tire gets hot the preasure will increase. Put 45 PSi in the front drive for 3 laps check the air preasure and adjust untill you get 50 in the front. Do the same for the back until you get 45 PSI in the rears.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flacoy2k said:
Air prasure, Air preasure. Put more air in the fronts. I have driven my fronts with 50 psi and you will feal the different like night and day. Don't put 50 psi right away because when the tire gets hot the preasure will increase. Put 45 PSi in the front drive for 3 laps check the air preasure and adjust untill you get 50 in the front. Do the same for the back until you get 45 PSI in the rears.
Gracias, Flaco. I don't think I ended up w/50 lbs in the front but it was in the high 40's & the rear was about 42-44. It was high enough so that the tire wasn't rolling over on the edges, but maybe needs to be a bit higher. That's why I'm asking for advice, because basically I was just guessing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Becareful not to pump up the pressure to high. The tires increase a couple PSI while on the track. Having a stiff sidewall isn't a problem if you have the pilots. I'd try to to run the fronts at 45, and the rear at 40-ish to get rid of some understeer. I've never driven an e46 m3, so I don't really know how the car handles stock, But I say get an instruction with your car, there are alot of things to be learned about the m3. One thing i've heard, not sure if it's true, is that the m3 understeer like heck during a track session, but with a slight tap on the accelerator, it turns into some crazy oversteer.

If you get the coilovers, you don't even really need lower your car too much. The stiffer springs and better shocks will get ride of alot of body roll and brake diving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts