E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've just bought a 2000 e46 330ci with the aim to turn it into a track car but with a budget in mind so I'm not going crazy. My idea is to strip weight, buckets seats/harness, upgrade brakes, add some decent coilovers at some point and then things like decent tyres.
The other idea behind it all is that its going to teach me about getting dirty working on it and gives me things to do at the weekend! My daily is an e46 M3 so I'm fairly used to the e46 now having had a 328 in the past also!

First of all though, the car has ABS and traction control lights on and so want to fix that (if that is even needed on a track car??) so guessing its a wheel speed sensor or something?
Only other issue I've noticed in the short drive so far, is a knocking noise from the rear under hard accel - could this be a bush worn?

However, before getting into the track mods, what is a good list of general maintenance that I can do besides the obvious oil change, brake fluid and checking it all over?

Vanos seals maybe? Is it an easy job?

Thanks
Oli

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Hi everyone,
I've just bought a 2000 e46 330ci with the aim to turn it into a track car but with a budget in mind so I'm not going crazy. My idea is to strip weight, buckets seats/harness, upgrade brakes, add some decent coilovers at some point and then things like decent tyres.
The other idea behind it all is that its going to teach me about getting dirty working on it and gives me things to do at the weekend! My daily is an e46 M3 so I'm fairly used to the e46 now having had a 328 in the past also!

First of all though, the car has ABS and traction control lights on and so want to fix that (if that is even needed on a track car??) so guessing its a wheel speed sensor or something?
Only other issue I've noticed in the short drive so far, is a knocking noise from the rear under hard accel - could this be a bush worn?

However, before getting into the track mods, what is a good list of general maintenance that I can do besides the obvious oil change, brake fluid and checking it all over?

Vanos seals maybe? Is it an easy job?

Thanks
Oli

Lots of different things to consider, I'll start with a few basics:

1) Safety items like: a) 5/6 point seat harness, b) Bolt in half or full cage, c) Fire extinguisher, d) Window net.

2) Upgraded brakes: a) Better pads, b) Better fluid, c) Cooling ducts, d) Braided brake lines.

3) Suspension: a) Coilover Kit with F & R ERS linear springs, b) Koni Sport front struts, c) Rob43 9 way Externally Adjustable rear shocks.

Rob43

·
Slow in, slower out
4,365 Posts
Fix all known issues with your car. Does your local track day organization have a safety and tech checklist? Fix everything on that list.

When everything is in good condition, drive 5 or 10 track days before modifying anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make sure car is sound . Balljoints tie rods etc is good No leaks fresh fluids all around then go and drive If u want a performance upgrade. A street track brake pad Drive some more. Then some camber plates. Drive more And more Then. Then Tires Drive some more What I'm getting at u don't need to spend a lot of cash just to go to track day Go out and have fun and learn the car. And work on it yourself. You'll b able to feel the cars pulse when driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like good advice to get all the maintenance done first....as this is purely going to be a track toy it's an easy mod for me to remove as much weight as I can from the seats and fit some bucket seats in. The standard seats will have me sliding about and that is no fun when you are travelling at speed.

It looks easy enough to get a ready made bucket seat frame adapter from sparco / cobra etc. then bolt on a bucket, however, do I need to do anything to the wiring so that airbags / pre-tensioners / occupant sensor don't throw up any warnings?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like good advice to get all the maintenance done first....as this is purely going to be a track toy it's an easy mod for me to remove as much weight as I can from the seats and fit some bucket seats in. The standard seats will have me sliding about and that is no fun when you are travelling at speed.

It looks easy enough to get a ready made bucket seat frame adapter from sparco / cobra etc. then bolt on a bucket, however, do I need to do anything to the wiring so that airbags / pre-tensioners / occupant sensor don't throw up any warnings?
1. Get the car maintained
2. Add some aftermarket race pads to swap out for your street pads
3. Get a SA2010 helmet
4. Do driving schools until your instructors start telling you what to upgrade and proceed from there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.