E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 330Ci ZHP. I noticed that the tires are runflats. That's great, I love them; however, the original owner did not add TPMS. The tires clearly say "Do not use without TPMS." I don't want to be too paranoid about having a flat and having no idea that I do have a flat (checking every month is not a big deal, but if I go on a long road trip, it would be nice to know when I get a flat, if I get a flat. Has happened to me a few times in other vehicles, and I knew thanks to TPMS).

Since E46's from 2002+ switched to using DSC to determine flats, I would imagine it is as simple as recoding the module and adding the reset button.

Has anyone done this? I've googled some info on it, but I cannot find anyone that has actually done the full retrofit. What exactly do I need?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
BMW didnt switch to DCS to determine the flats. DCS is dynamic stability control and has NO role in determining if you have a flat or not. There are TPMS that go inside the tire which send a signal to the receiver(which is a separate module) and it'll tell you if you have a flat or not. I believe its stupid and impractical. The tire isnt gonna loose air for no reason, it'll lose air if you run over something and even them you'll notice it. My friend had runflats on his '00 323(he bought rims and they came with runflats). I was driving with him and he ran over a big pipe on the road and instantly noticed that the tire lost air, even thou the tire staid in one piece it noticeable that there is not air in it.

Anyway, if you really think that you need computer assistance to tell you that you have no air in your tires, go buy a set of OEM or aftermarket TPMS and ask a tire shop to install them.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After I believe 2002, BMW switched from using traditional wireless TPMS sensors that measure actual pressure to using ABS sensors and the DSC module to determine if a flat has occurred (RPA). It measures the rolling diameter. They went back to wireless TPMS in 2008+. So I do have all of the necessary internals, it is as simple as re-coding and adding the reset button. Which...I guess isn't simple, unfortunately, because I have no idea how to go about doing that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts