BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my E46 towed a few months back when my water pump started leaking. I called AAA, and they sent out a flat bed.

The driver had me drive the car up on the flatbed, and he then hooked it up and secured it to the truck (I now know he did it wrong). Got home uneventful, and replaced the waterpump.

Fast foward to last week when I was changing my oil. I saw where he hooked the hooks and cinched my car down.

Is this something to be worried about? I already filed a claim with AAA, they came out and took pics, and will be in contact with me in a day or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
No, mechanically it is not something that you need to worry about. Mentally, it is something that you need to deal with them and get your money back!! The piece is just a shield but it will not cause your car to malfunction.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks to be the subframe that got damaged. Tischer lists it for $444.99. Gonna be an expensive repair. The adjuster that came out and too pics acted as if it were no big deal, and eluded to them not covering any costs.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Looks more like your front subframe than just a "shield" but it's hard to tell from the pics.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
thats part of the front subframe. I would get them to replace it. if not. dont sweat it, if they dont give you ANY cash, I would probably take it a good welder ahd have them cut the ripped piece out and weld in a solid piece.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
as the first poster said... its just the aluminum reinforcement plate... i actually drove around without one for about a year until i realized i didnt have one, should be ok but make sure to get some money out of it though lol

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Looks like the holes are there for access to the bolt head. I'd consider welding a donut shaped piece of metal over the rip and spray with underbody paint to match the OEM finish.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Did they use the BMW tow hook to load it on the flatbed, or did they rack it to the suspension?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as the first poster said... its just the aluminum reinforcement plate... i actually drove around without one for about a year until i realized i didnt have one, should be ok but make sure to get some money out of it though lol
Any idea on where I can find one? Whats the cost?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
first of all.. WTF? :ben:

there is nothing I hate more than crap like this from ignorant tow-truck drivers.

anyway, junkyards will have them.. probably $150 used. bolts right on. will take maybe 15 minutes. pay attention if you have a shim washer installed on one of the bolts. they will fall out when you remove it. my car has 2 of them.

·
Registered
800 Posts
hmmm...

Sad to see such, uh, professional work.

Trained, qualified and govt. licensed, no doubt.

Where the rip ends in a point, there is a good chance a crack will propagate from that point and travel. I say to replace the entire piece... whatever it is.

Does AAA have a fine-print disclaimer that they aren't responsible for towing by a contractor... someone they have contracted with to take their calls? I mean, AAA doesn't have their own trucks, etc. yet someone IS responsible!

May necessitate a proper letter by your lawyer or/also a visit to small claims court.

Hopefully, they will be reasonable... as you must be in dealing with them, but don't take "no", for an answer. And it may take a couple months, so be steady/chill with it.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'm about to have my car towed and this has me worried :eek:
There is reason to be worried. When I had my car flatbedded the driver tied down the back end using the rear control arms and bent them. Both control arms could have folded in heavy cornering. I didn't even know about the problem until I took the car in for an alignment. Both control arms needed to be replaced. Some of the tow truck drivers are clueless.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm assuming that no-one posting in this thread knows anything about a tow truck by the responses. First off, had you had the tow hook you probably wouldn't have had any problems. It's a pain in the asss to tow a Bimmer without it. I do totally agree that he fuucked up by strapping it down how he did. The best way is to use the tow straps around the wheels. It's the safest and most secure.

AAA does have their own trucks, but chances are unless you're lucky or want to wait for 5 hours they'll send out a subcontractor. It doesn't matter what company sends the truck whether it be AAA or mom n pops towing. It's the driver that matters. I know AAA drivers who are terrible with a truck and can't tow for shiit.

Chances are if it was a AAA call that you had to fill out some sort of paperwork. Also, chances are that somewhere in there it says that they are not responsible for damage. So you may be s.o.l. as far as trying to get someone to replace it. It is NOT your subframe it's just the under-body shield. It's really no big deal other than the principle of it.

If I were you I would check out the paperwork you signed and make sure nothing on there said that "blah blah blah company is not responsible for any damaged" or "by signing this you acknowledge that your vehicle was delivered undamaged" or something along those lines. The one who would be held responsible is the company that sent the truck out not AAA.

For future reference please stop letting the drivers "tie down" your vehicle by using anything other than the wheel straps.

Pic of wheel straps for reference:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
OP

If you are refering to the reinforcement plate (#3 below - 51717028433), then you must have this replaced. It is a structural component.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Go to your bmw dealer and have them check the allignment.

IIRC, just to check allignment is very cheap, if not free.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts