E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help link me or just tell me what measurement bolt I would need for my tow strap. I want one long enough so I don’t have to remove my bumper to do it. Just like shown in this picture. appreciate any replies.
e46 320cd 2003

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,735 Posts
I'm not understanding your question.

It seems likely that if you buy that strap it will come with the required bolt, since it's not a standard thread - you can't buy a bolt at the hardware store that fits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not understanding your question.

It seems likely that if you buy that strap it will come with the required bolt, since it's not a standard thread - you can't buy a bolt at the hardware store that fits.
I’m not sure if it does, I just read at the bottom after purchasing ‘No bolts or other attaching mechanisms supplied’

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nothing personal here against Driftland, but that's about as dumb and pedestrian a design for something that's going to pull straight and level as it gets. Pull hard on that and it's going to generate serious bending force on the bolt and your tow mount. They should have designed it so that when it's being pulled on there is no twisting force. Like maybe an actual engineer should be involved. I literally laughed out loud when I followed this thread out of curiousity. That looks for all the world like a purely decorative "look at me, I race and I'm cool" accessory that probably comes with a little note in the instructions that says "Not for recovery purposes or pulling on - purely for aesthetics." The lack of a bolt also says their lawyers said "Leave the bolt out, so when people start bending their tow mounts, or snap a bolt and kill someone, we're not responsible."

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
And right on cue, Vick's posted a properly engineered tow strap where someone with actual skills was part of the design. Bravo.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,735 Posts
Nothing personal here against Driftland, but that's about as dumb and pedestrian a design for something that's going to pull straight and level as it gets. Pull hard on that and it's going to generate serious bending force on the bolt and your tow mount. They should have designed it so that when it's being pulled on there is no twisting force. Like maybe an actual engineer should be involved. I literally laughed out loud when I followed this thread out of curiousity. That looks for all the world like a purely decorative "look at me, I race and I'm cool" accessory that probably comes with a little note in the instructions that says "Not for recovery purposes or pulling on - purely for aesthetics." The lack of a bolt also says their lawyers said "Leave the bolt out, so when people start bending their tow mounts, or snap a bolt and kill someone, we're not responsible."
As much as I agree with you, Google shows this to be a pretty common design, including an offering from Sparco.
🤷

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wow - that's a crazy design. It should not pull on the fastener and apply bending force on the fastener - the force should be straight out on the shank of the bolt. I guess there are just different designs for this application. I suppose if all the strap is for is to gently tow a race car in neutral down a track - fine. That may work. But my personal view is that an attachment point for a two ton object should be done right. For instance, what if my race car and another are tangled, I'm trapped, and the other one is on fire. The tow guy could drag my car on its roof as an emergency to get me out of danger. I'd want a strong one and a good design like that Turner one. I'm a serious offroader as well and I have a similar approach to recovery gear where the forces involved can kill people if they fail. Not everyone considers that, and I guess it works out for them. Shrug..

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with IdahoDoug. The only way to properly attach that type of tow strap is to have the metal attachment bracket inline with the pull direction on the strap.

I use a similar Sparco strap on my track car. To mount it I built two angle brackets that bolt to the frame spars and attach the strap in a double shear arrangement. The fabric strap then pokes through the tow bolt hole in the bumper, allowing me to use the OEM eye bolt as needed too

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,735 Posts
Yes, it weighs more, but I snagged another E46 tow hook from the junkyard so I've got front and rear covered. Pretty cheap too
Actual race cars require the nylon strap type not just for weight, but because the rigid, stock type, eyes make it more likely to spin a car out when rubbing bumper to bumper in close racing.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That's a good point, V - I hadn't thought of that with a factory rigid tow point installed. You could use it as a short lance! Interesting discussion. The more I think about it, if I were to design one it would be something I could count on the race track folks being able to save my life with, just as other equipment for competition can. I'd want it out of braided metal so that even if my car were towed into, through, or out of a fire or if my front end were briefly on fire, it would still function. Where nylon would instantly vaporize into a puddle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
6BB7400C-9F4D-4A59-84A1-7F18BE4C4EBA.jpeg 341F262B-E833-43E0-842B-124E28DB116A.jpeg 72 15 8 321 611 will fit if you remove your bumper, screw it in and then put your bumper back on.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Would a braided metal one that hangs identically to the fabric ones be accepted at a track?

Also, I just sent them an inquiry on the setup asking how it was tested? Or just that the strap material itself was rated at that strength in a simple lab test? In other words, did they actually pull on a vehicle to ensure that when their bracket bends it does not tear/fail at that load. I have the funny feeling this has not been tested in the latter (real life) fashion, and to me the fact that they don't include the fastener, or any guidance on it indicates their legal staff provided input. I'm pretty comfortable putting a 25,000lb yank on my Toyota LandCruiser's recovery points and have done so, but if I saw an attachment like this on a stuck vehicle and was told it was rated at 11,000lbs (5000kg X 2.2 = 11,000) I'd politely decline as it's obviously going to damage the vehicle, and if it comes off, I will be headed to the morgue when it comes through my back window at the speed of sound.

I'll say again that a recovery strap like that is nothing to scrimp on or to treat as a cosmetic "look at me, I'm cool and I track" accessory. If you race, shop for a strap that will save your life when you are in a damaged vehicle and perhaps tangled with another vehicle that's about to catch fire. If the track standards are truly that low - any easily melted poly webbing meets their standard, then I'm kinda disappointed in the governing body. I get it - they just need a recovery point to pull a stalled vehicle off the track on a sunny day where everything's puppy dogs and lollypops. But why not take it a step further and make it a recovery point where an emergency trackside team can use it to pull you safely out of an immediate danger to you or other drivers?

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,735 Posts
Why would the track workers be pulling the end of the car that's on fire?
If your tow strap has melted they'll be pulling from the other end to try and extricate you from the source of the fire, no?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not know who you are asking these questions to but will clarify my point of view for a bit anyway. The partnumber I posted is from BMW Motorsport. I suppose it is of a E92 GT car, if it is good enough for them it will probably be enough for a trackday. Most important for me is that it suits my lazyness by not having to remove it to be legal on the public roads over here.
I think you will rip off the e46 tow strap holder where it screws into before the tow strap itself is torn apart anyway.
In case of fire you are probably right it will melt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts